Hey everybody.
I was just wondering if anyone can help me with my riff writing. Lately I just haven't been able to do it. I used to get existing riffs from songs and muck around with them until I came up with something but I'm over that now because that's pretty much plagiarism. For a while now I have just been improvising heaps but havn't come out with a single thing. I know it sounds stupid but I've got a real dilemma on my hands. I want to write riffs like Shadows Fall's so not even that technical. If someone could please help me it would be great.
Thanks.
for some reason i write great metal riffs but i dont want to play metal music so i dunno maybe its just how you feel on impulse
I get a tune in my head and figure it out on guitar.
Quote by boredloserkid1
i have 3 balls n no penis..its called flopeouinesinea

Quote by Burpin'Worm
I'd suck off my grandad while getting bummed by my dad and tossed off by my brother for a million.
remember that "taking a break helps" (as the Rush guitarist once said). If you hit a creative wall that you just cannot seem to jump over, just relax, step away from it for awhile, and then go back when you feel some emotion (fear, hate, **** politics, etc), or go back to it when you just think its time.
Quote by jumpmanhat
remember that "taking a break helps" (as the Rush guitarist once said). If you hit a creative wall that you just cannot seem to jump over, just relax, step away from it for awhile, and then go back when you feel some emotion (fear, hate, **** politics, etc), or go back to it when you just think its time.

You made my day by quoting Alex Lifeson

I just go to drop c and **** around
Quote by jumpmanhat

That's exactly what I was going to post(besides the Rush comment). If you hit a point where you can't come up with new material or even feel bored playing your instrument, it's best to just step away from the guitar for a while, even just a few days help. Whenever I feel bored with guitar or something, I just don't even touch it for a week, then when I come back to it I'm full of new material for some reason. It's the same if you go on a vacation and forget to bring your guitar, the second you get back, you're going to get on that axe and slay.