Poll: which would give me better recording quality?
Poll Options
View poll results: which would give me better recording quality?
mixer
5 50%
computer interface
5 50%
Voters: 10.
mixers are cheaper, and price is always a huge issue for me , so would i get better computer recording quality using a mixer or a computer interface?
~gtrfrk

founder of the dunlop pick fan club

RIP Roger "Syd" Barrett

"Let the good times roll"
it's not that simple you see...the cheapest viable mixer you could probably use is the behringer UB1204 which goes for $120 on zzsounds

you could get a interface for that much & get better sounds direct,with a (cheap)mixer you would be better off mic-ing or buying a seperate direct box that handles frequencies (Behringer DI100 $35)

stop beating around the bush & buy the interface already,you can upgrade to some serious stuff later if you feel you need it
Why is ub1204 the 'cheapest viable' mixer?, what isn't viable about the much cheaper 4 channel versions? my understanding is that those cheapo Behringers all have the same preamps etc in them anyway, so the recorded sound you get will be exactly the same, will it not?

I've been using a 6 channel Behringer mixer for a while now and I've been getting reasonable results, both with miked amps and going direct through the mixer, I've also got a POD, which to my ears, sounds like 'ass', so what are the interfaces that will sound better than these mixers? and are they stable? I'd heard that a lot of the USB interfaces had stability problems, though they might have fixed that by now.
Most PCI interfaces are very clean, but don't offer preamps for your mics. My friend got a 1010LT and it works great b/c he has a kick ass mixer already with great preamps. The cheaper mixers have very crappy preamps. Or you can go the firewire approach. I just picked up an Inspire with preamps for 200 and it sounds awesome. The next step up with firewire will be about 500 but those are suppose to be very nice. I figured if I ever reach the limitations from my Inspire it will not be hard to resale it, hell, they are being sold on ebay for about the same price that you can get one new for.... If you want some great recordings, I would stay away from the usb stuff (well from all the research I have done on them)
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-Eurorack-UB2222FXPRO-Mixer?sku=631231V
thats the mixer i want, im still lookin, but as of now thats the one i want. i want a mixer because it has more inputs for less money, and eventually i wanna record my band, and also maybe some local bands around here, so i need all the inputs i can get for cheap.
~gtrfrk

founder of the dunlop pick fan club

RIP Roger "Syd" Barrett

"Let the good times roll"
Last edited by gtrfrk123 at Sep 3, 2006,
Quote by j_db69
I just picked up an Inspire with preamps for 200 and it sounds awesome. The next step up with firewire will be about 500 but those are suppose to be very nice.

I take it you are talking about this:

http://www.imuso.co.uk/ProductDetail.asp?StockCode=ST00556

...and if so, do you think that one of those will give me better quality than I would get using a Behringer Eurorack MX602 into an M-Audio 2496 soundcard? the only other problem being that my motherboard is an ASUS A7V8X, and on the box it says that Firewire is 'optional' and I have a feeling that it doesn't have that option, so I'd probably have to get a PCI Firewire card, though I am wondering whether that would work as well as having the interface connected to a proper Firewire port on the motherboard...
i think that part of the problem with mixers is that you are then running it to your crappy soundcard. thats where you are going to lose quality, with that poor sound card. i notice a difference when i run my mic preamp straight to my soundcard and when i run it in via my USB interface. the difference isnt always huge, but its definatly noticable at times. thats why it might be beneficial to either get a good soundcard to run your mixer into or an interface. ive found that probably the cheapest interface that will do the job for you is this one. it only has line inputs, but you just run the outs from the mixer into those. its firewire so it should be low latency and give you pretty good quality. ive never actually tried it, but it is something i would look into if you want to go the route of mixer into your copmputer. just try not to run into your stock soundcard, its not going to do justice to the rest of your recording gear.
Quote by jof1029
just try not to run into your stock soundcard, its not going to do justice to the rest of your recording gear.

If by 'stock soundcard' you mean my onboard one, that's not what I'm using; as I mentioned in my previous post, I've got an M-Audio 2496 (24 bit 96 Khz) soundcard:

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Audiophile2496-main.html

...I realise it isn't exactly high end, but I didn't think it was 'crappy' and I would be surprised if that Behringer you posted a link to was any better in terms of preamps or converters.

I've also been using an Audio search engine to look for soundclips of quite a few of the interfaces in the price range I'm interested in (including the M-audio black box and the Presonus Inspire) and to be quite honest, even allowing for the fact that I'm listening to MP3'd versions of these recordings, I'm having trouble seeing any difference in sound quality to what I'm getting with my current setup.
^ actually, that wasnt directed at you. it was more towards the threadstarter. and by stock, i mean the soundcard that comes in the computer and isnt meant for recording. like the SigmaTel that i have in my laptop. not exactly a bad soundcard, but pretty much useless for any decent recording quality. the behringer i linked to isnt going to be fantastic, but im pretty sure it would serve better than something like my SigmaTel or the Realtek i have on my desktop (i think thats what it is). that soundcard you use is meant for recording and is undoubtably better than the thing i linked to. that interface is just the cheapest thing out there and would probably be ok for running a mixer into to bypass the soundcard.
If you already have a good soundcard, then that is probably what you want to do (get a mixer). But using a mixer, you can connect say 10 people to it and use one input on the sound card, you can only edit the one track coming in (that has 10 people on it). It just depends on what kind of quality you are after.
Quote by Mr Songwriter
Why is ub1204 the 'cheapest viable' mixer?, what isn't viable about the much cheaper 4 channel versions? my understanding is that those cheapo Behringers all have the same preamps etc in them anyway, so the recorded sound you get will be exactly the same, will it not?

I've been using a 6 channel Behringer mixer for a while now and I've been getting reasonable results, both with miked amps and going direct through the mixer, I've also got a POD, which to my ears, sounds like 'ass', so what are the interfaces that will sound better than these mixers? and are they stable? I'd heard that a lot of the USB interfaces had stability problems, though they might have fixed that by now.

the cheap ones don't have good redirecting options for recording via soundcard (BUS) if you don't have a good BUS & send it direct to the soundcard it's gonna sound like **** unless you have a really good preamp,which cheap ones don't

& behringer is the cheapest brand
& the UB1204 has the best BUS,with fader at the cheapest level per quallity
Quote by DeathDealer
the cheap ones don't have good redirecting options for recording via soundcard (BUS) if you don't have a good BUS & send it direct to the soundcard it's gonna sound like **** unless you have a really good preamp,which cheap ones don't

& behringer is the cheapest brand
& the UB1204 has the best BUS,with fader at the cheapest level per quallity

Thanks for the infos, Deathdealer, I only really bought a mixer as a cheap way of getting something with a preamp and an XLR input for recording one guitar, I actually never use more than one channel at once, so I'm wondering, is there an interface or a preamp you could recommend in the same sort of price range ($150 or so) that would have better preamps (XLR mic and Hi-Z guitar inputs) than my Behringer? one or two channels would be all I needed.

Is this any good:

http://www.lifeismusic.co.uk/PA/BEHRINGER-B-CONTROL-AUDIO-BCA2-2443.aspx
Last edited by Mr Songwriter at Sep 4, 2006,
Quote by Mr Songwriter

sounds good on paper,but i've never used one of those so i couldn't say...check out reviews at harmony central,look for the reviews with the lowest scores & read those

or you can just get a cheap interface like the toneport $120 & comes with software for rig emulation & recording,sound quallity is good too the toneport 2 is $200 with phantom power if you need it & 2 instrument inputs & 2 mic iputs

Lexicon & M-audio also make interfaces in that price range,but i can't vouch for those...& they don't come with the software or the comunity help of line 6 either
+ i've heard the cheap M-audio interfaces suck
so I'm wondering, is there an interface or a preamp you could recommend in the same sort of price range ($150 or so) that would have better preamps (XLR mic and Hi-Z guitar inputs) than my Behringer? one or two channels would be all I needed.

PreSonus Inspire1394
unitedkid:
between a bioengineered apple and an organic apple,tasters might not notice a difference,but when a consumers starts growing a elephant trunk out of their ass,they'll wonder. enjoy your solidstate amp you know,coz a scientist said so
A mixer into the line in would sound decent.
An interface is a better choice. That way you can do the mixing in the program.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.