Hi, Im looking for the ultimate metal/shred amp that is clean in terms of tone (not gain).

I ran across the Engl stuff on the interweb, so I was wondering if the Powerball is the most metal amp that they manufacture because i saw some metal acts using the Savage amp. And also, is there a downfall to getting an Engl? (they sound pretty clean)

I find the Rivera too muddy in their amp tone samples from their site, and so forth, and also is there another amp that you would personally prefer, or have prefered in the past for Clean sounding Metal (clean meaning not muddy, clear, punctual but still have enormous gain)? Ive heard that the Rev1 Krank is Clean in that aspact.

So this thread is just asking for the~
Clearest
Punchy
Cutting tone to stand out
Lots of Gain without going over board
Reliable
~Amplifer that has Leads and Rythym!!

Any comments or suggestions wound be appreciated!
Last edited by jumpmanhat at Sep 2, 2006,
Alright, well Ive never used an ENGL myself, but I hear theyre pretty great (especially the Powerball). I have played the Krank before, and it was alright I suppose, but deffinatly nothing too special there.

How much are you willing to spend?
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
I don't know enough about metal amps to be of much help, but i've heard pretty bad things about Krank.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
ive heard krank sounds near solid state
Jackson DK2M White
Mesa Dual Rec(2 channel)
Carvin V212
^same, their rep in harmony-central is SO low, why is it being burned all the time anyways?

I am willing to spend anything on my next amp, its not like im gonna buy it tomorrow, so I have time and money that I will be earning in the near future so any amp for suggestions would be great!
Alright, Id suggest looking into the Mesa Boogie Road King or Stiletto Ace (make sure its the Ace, as the other versions are more muddy) or maybe a Mark IV. Also, be sure to play around with those ENGLs, as they have quite the reputation around here.
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
The music stores around me dont stock the high end or high gain Peaveys. Ive only played the Classic 50, and thats more of a low/medium gain amp

Edit:However, I hear the 5150/6150 are good dark sounding amps (not the best cleans though) and the XXX is good for a brighter amp (bad cleans and hissy though). Maybe give those a try too? Theyre deffinately cheaper than the Mesas and ENGLs
Board:
Engl Powerballs and Framus Cobras/Dragons have the best cleans on any high gain amp I've heard. Peavey's don't have near as good clean channels (esp. the 5150/6505), nor do Mesa's.
Quote by El Codyo
Engl Powerballs and Framus Cobras/Dragons have the best cleans on any high gain amp I've heard. Peavey's don't have near as good clean channels (esp. the 5150/6505), nor do Mesa's.

The Road Kings/Aces/Marks have fine cleans
Board:
Quote by IsThereLoveInSp

Yeah, but when most people say Mesa around here, they mean tEh UBeR PQWn TrIPlE RecTO.
Quote by El Codyo
Yeah, but when most people say Mesa around here, they mean tEh UBeR PQWn TrIPlE RecTO.

This is true. The only Rectos with good cleans imo are the Road King and Tremoverb. The rest are pretty meh
Board:
I thought he was looking for well-defined high gain sounds. I don't think he means actual cleans. I don't have any gear experience since I'm only 13 and have played for only like 15 months, but the best amp I've tried is the 6505 earlier today. However, the local Sam Ash doesn't have Mesas, Engl's, etc.
Quote by grampastumpy
I thought he was looking for well-defined high gain sounds.

I know, hence why I suggested he check out the XXX and 6150, but to be wary of their sub par cleans
Board:
The only problem I have with Engl's is that the one I tried sounded pretty compressed (not a huge suprise), so I thought it may have a hard time cutting through a mix, might have just been me tho. It should be right up your alley, bright and tight.

Maybe you should take a look at VHT if you haven't already.
Framus Cobra/Dragon

Someone mentioned them earlier, props to you. Their gain is more defined, and the actual cleans are about as good as it gets for a high gain amp.
Who's dumber?
The cat that plays with a piece of string for 30 minutes,
Or the guy who dangles the string for 30 minutes?
Quote by Jimmy_Page_Fan
Framus Cobra/Dragon

Someone mentioned them earlier, props to you. Their gain is more defined, and the actual cleans are about as good as it gets for a high gain amp.

Yay, props to me.
I love the distortion on the Cobras. Really throaty and defined, and A LOT of low end if needed.
^ Beyond that the clean is very nice for a 3 channel high gain amp. It's not going to replicate something like a Fender Bassman or Twin... but thats to be expected. It's not a versatile clean amp but it does have a couple nice clean sounds.
Who's dumber?
isnt the title of this kinda an oxymoron
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
^ Somewhat... I would have used the word clarity O.o
Who's dumber?
Ive always wanted to try a Framus.
Board:
Quote by IsThereLoveInSp

The 50w ace/single arent that great of a clean, better than rectos, but not great.

The RK.. Okay I guess you have me there. Marks are good, but a bit dry imo.

Of every amp I can think of that accels at rock/metal/shred AND cleans, the powerball comes to mind. I must be baised, because I own one, but if there was anything else out there better I'd probably have that instead.

Jag Panzer = metal, shred, and asskickery. Chris Broderick plays ENGL Powerballs. That is all I have to say.

If you think an ENGL Powerball is way compressed you might want to try and EQ it or play with a non-EMG, because I don't have a gripe about it that way. If you have the bass boost on at low volumes it sounds compressed, but when you turn the amp up it balances out.

If you're talking about compressed, the cobra is like that imo. Not a bad thing, like you said, but it just strikes me as sounding that way. I want to try one, but I don't know any dealers. Splawn and framus are just about the only amps of the major brands that I havent played on. bah.
Last edited by xxgenocide98xx at Sep 3, 2006,
^ +1. the savage is a bit less compressed, and less high gain (though it still has plenty, especially if you can crank it up). but yeah, the PB is more "metal" (assuming you mean modern metal)

the vht's have pretty nice cleans too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
you do realise he means clean in terms of tone, not clean channel. so we should really be looking for clear and defined amps, not amps with nice cleans...
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
^ yeah. and engl are clean and defined. haven't tried framus though. to be honest, though, most of the boutique high gain heads are pretty clear-sounding...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
again, clear is another mans thin, defined another mans thin, bright another man shrill

hows the lead sounds on the ENGL? thats about the only good thing about my DSL, the chugg my not be there, but the lead tone always sings.
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
^ depends on the engl. it's great on my savage se, but then I have the smooth button that most of the other engls don't have... and I haven't tried the other ones for so long, that I can't really remember...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Perhaps a VHT Ultra-Lead or a Soldano SLO100. Both are very smooth sounding high-gain amps.
#4 member of UG's gain \/\/hores-pm gpderek09 to join