a week ago i decided to pickup a pack of Ernie Balls "Not Even Slinky" which is 12-16-24-32-44-56. Now i got them because i do spend a bunch of time in drop C and they are amazing in drop C, but i do still play alot of covers in standard or drop D tuning. Now whenever i tune back up to standard the tension gets as tight as he!! and im always afraid im gonna snap a string unless i tune very slowly (especally the G and A strings). Now there very very tight, but they play great when i have them up in standard, but my guitar teacher told me as long as my bridge wasn't bending forward at all then i was ok.

once i can purchase anohter guitar, i'll keep one standard and one in drop C, but for now that's impossible

i just want a second opinion, is it ok as long as my bridge isn't bending forward like my instructer told me. i have an ibanez grx40 and here's what the bridge looks like

http://countrymusicstore.de/Bilder%2520Ebay/Ibanez%2520GRX40JU/grx40ju-bkn.jpg

i do try to keep my guitar in drop C when i put it away for the night ( i always play before i go to bed), so usually it doesn't stay in standard tuning tension for too long..
Well if you keep on switching the tunings, then the strings are going to break sooner.

Evey tried .015 to .070 in drop c?

Well it might break, .012 can be pretty tight in standard, but wait till you see SRV.
Quote by pacoasterrider
a week ago i decided to pickup a pack of Ernie Balls "Not Even Slinky" which is 12-16-24-32-44-56. Now i got them because i do spend a bunch of time in drop C and they are amazing in drop C, but i do still play alot of covers in standard or drop D tuning. Now whenever i tune back up to standard the tension gets as tight as he!! and im always afraid im gonna snap a string unless i tune very slowly (especally the G and A strings). Now there very very tight, but they play great when i have them up in standard, but my guitar teacher told me as long as my bridge wasn't bending forward at all then i was ok.

once i can purchase anohter guitar, i'll keep one standard and one in drop C, but for now that's impossible

i just want a second opinion, is it ok as long as my bridge isn't bending forward like my instructer told me. i have an ibanez grx40 and here's what the bridge looks like

http://countrymusicstore.de/Bilder%2520Ebay/Ibanez%2520GRX40JU/grx40ju-bkn.jpg

i do try to keep my guitar in drop C when i put it away for the night ( i always play before i go to bed), so usually it doesn't stay in standard tuning tension for too long..

Actually, making your strings tight as hell is kinda a bad idea. If you tighten your strings to a certain point, it puts alot of stress on the neck and the bridge and can damage the neck. Ask your guitar teacher about how to adjust the truss-rod in your guitar, otherwise I wouldn't tune thick strings to such a high tuning.
what/how is your trust rod adjusted....i dont plan on messing with it but i do want to know what it is before my next lesson thursday haha

i think next time i might pickup a 11-52 string pack, hopefully less tension and i'll try to keep my guitar in C and just use my acoustic for doing standard covers whenever im messing around. When i play with my friends and make my own stuff that's all in C, i just do the covers for my enjoyment
Quote by pacoasterrider
what/how is your trust rod adjusted....i dont plan on messing with it but i do want to know what it is before my next lesson thursday haha

The truss-rod is a bar that runs the length of the neck inside. If you look at the head of your guitar, there will either be a little plate with scews on it right above the nut(usually with a logo on it) or it ill be a hole with a black tip, that's the truss-rod, and that's where you adjust it.

I've only had to deal with it once but my guitar teacher from like 3 years ago did it for me, I didn't get to mess with it, so I really don't know exactly how it works. If I had a guess at how it works, it would be as follows: You screw the truss-rod out(loosen it) then you can bend your neck ever-so slightly to account for the more tension you're about to put on it(thicker strings and higher tuning, bend the neck back more), then tighten the rod up again to keep the neck from moving freely.

But you need a hex-head screwdriver(in most if not all cases) to adjust it, so make sure you have one, or your teacher does.
If you don't know how to do it I wouldn't mess with the truss rod, its easier to just take the guitar to your local shop and have them fix it.