honestly i will tell you to save your money...unless you're planing on going pro or something i wouldn't bother with mixers

just get something like cubase or whatever
unless your going to mic drums don't bother...if all you're going to do is vocals & electrical instruments just get an interface
well eventually im gonna be recording my whole band, and this mixer has more inputs than interfaces for the same , or more money
~gtrfrk

founder of the dunlop pick fan club

RIP Roger "Syd" Barrett

"Let the good times roll"
I have the UB2442FX-PRO mixer, and we did our album with it. We've had a lot of complements on the recording quality - especially considering we did it at home. Of course, everything is relative. It won't sound near as good as a Neve or SSL console, but will certainly be good enough for a good range of purposes.

Now, if you're going to record your whole band, I'd go with the 2442 like I have. You will need an soundcard (ie. interface) that can handle the number of inputs you'll want to throw at it. You can get an interface with built-in pres or not. I run my 2442 board into my Delta 1010, giving me ten simultaneous inputs.

More specifically:
2442 - Direct outs 1-7 > Inputs 1-7 on Delta 1010.
Dedicated tube pre > Input 8 on Delta 1010
2442 Direct out 8 > TC Electronic M300 digital in 1 (bypass mode) - digital out 1> digital in 1 on 1010
2442 Sub 1 > TC Electronic M300 digital in 2 (bypass mode) - digital out 2 > digital in 2 on 1010

Chris
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
It has given me the last two years or so completely trouble free, so don't believe the rhetoric of them breaking down all the time.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Based on reviews the Peavey PV14 is far superior than any $300-$400 range mixer. You can buy the PV14 for $249.... The best piece of equipment you can buy for the money. But dont take my word for it, read the reviews.
"I don't want to be hostile. I don't want to be dismal.
But I don't want to rot in an apathetic existence either.
"
-Maynard

| |
^ looking at that peavey mixer, it says it has global phantom power. does that mean you cant turn phantom power off at all? or just mean that when its on its on for all channels? cause if thats the case wouldnt that not allow you to use a combination of dynamic and condensor mics? cause the phantom power is required for condensors and would fry dynamics. it looks pretty good, but that could be a serious drawback.
Yes, global phantom power means it is either on or off for all channels. It is a popular misconception that phantom power will fry dynamic mics or do some other disasterous hocus-pocus to something. It won't. There is only a problem if you have a cable that has the wiring mixed up or something bizarre like that.

Chris

^ oh, ok. i thought i remembered reading something about it messing up dynamics somewhere, but if its just a misconception then i guess it wouldnt be a drawback. i still think it would be better to have it able to select individually, but i guess its fine as long as it wont mess stuff up.