I've been playing a bit of faster legato/soloing stuff lately, and I was wondering the best way (technique-wise) to play the swept outro for the Seize the Day solo. Any help appreciated.
Oh, I don't give a **** if you don't like Avenged, I'm just asking about technique rather than musical tastes.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
one word:
METRONOME

slow it down, play it with a metronome to keep yourself in time, and speed it up as the perfect it.

as much as i hate avenged sevenfold (i dont give a fuck that you dont give a fuck if i dont like them ), they have pretty good guitarists.

R.I.P.'s:

- Syd Barrett
- Dimebag
- Chuck Schuldiner
- Cliff Burton
- Metallica
- SRV
- Jimi Hendrix

Quote by Useful_Idiot16
full baked i love how ur sig says R.I.P metallica lol.

I'm talking technique-wise here. As in, would you hold the arpeggio shape, or move into it when you need to play that note. I'm playing it off Guitar Pro, here's a short piece of the outro

--18-13----------------13-18-13----------------13-|
--------14----------14----------14----------14----|
-----------15----15----------------15----15-------|
--------------15----------------------15----------|
--------------------------------------------------|

--17-12----------------12-17-12----------------12-|
--------13----------13----------13----------13----|
-----------14----14----------------14----14-------|
--------------14----------------------14----------|

I saw them live too, Syn was really good.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Have you seen that Steal This Video on sweeps? It's really good, the guy does **** like the solo in that song, which rocks! A7X!!
1992 Gibson Explorer (Seymour Duncan '59 neck, Custom Custom bridge)
Jackson King V Professional Std. (Seymour Duncan Invaders)
Mesa/Boogie Nomad 55
Mesa/Boogie 412 Recto. O/S Cabinet
Boss ME-50
MXR 10-Band EQ
Anybody?
i think you mean fingering it like a chord, where all the notes are fretted at once? that seems difficult to me, especially with the stretch for the 17 or 18 in there. Also, you don't want all the notes to sound at once, fretting all of them will make that more difficult to achieve. And what would you do if there was a 5th or 6th string in the sweep? then you'd probably have to reposition to hit the extra notes anyway.
Quote by HavokStrife
Have you seen that Steal This Video on sweeps? It's really good, the guy does **** like the solo in that song, which rocks! A7X!!

qft
i'd just do a pull off from the 18 to the 13th, or pick it if you want, then just sweep, hit 14th with my middle finger, and lay my ring finger across the 2 15th frets, it takes a little work to sweep with your finger across 2 frets, but its possible
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
Quote by black_box
i think you mean fingering it like a chord, where all the notes are fretted at once? that seems difficult to me, especially with the stretch for the 17 or 18 in there. Also, you don't want all the notes to sound at once, fretting all of them will make that more difficult to achieve. And what would you do if there was a 5th or 6th string in the sweep? then you'd probably have to reposition to hit the extra notes anyway.

not to be rude, but you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about
Quote by Stop Messin'
How can it be a ripoff if its made by Gibson?
Quote by DragginHorse
not to be rude, but you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about

i have no problem being corrected, but can you explain whats incorrect without just insulting someone? perhaps i should explain my own side. I thought he was referring to fingering the entire arpreggio as a chord, where if he strummed the strings everything would sound at once. While that may work for this arpreggio, obviously you can't do that if you have a 5 or 6 string sweep (unless you have extra fingers).
Last edited by black_box at Sep 3, 2006,
Quote by black_box
i have no problem being corrected, but can you explain whats incorrect without just insulting someone? perhaps i should explain my own side. I thought he was referring to fingering the entire arpreggio as a chord, where if he strummed the strings everything would sound at once. While that may work for this arpreggio, obviously you can't do that if you have a 5 or 6 string sweep (unless you have extra fingers).

Yeah, that's exactly what I was talking about. I think the other dude is a twat
yeah, you probably wanna start with a pull-off from your pinky to your index finger (and start with an up-stroke too IMO) and then place the the fingers on the notes as you go down. After each note is played lift the finger off the fret but not off the string to silence the note. Let the pick flow over the strings, do not deliberately pick each note. Most of this just needs to become an unconcious habit, and if it's not yet then there aren't any quick fixes, do what the guy above me said and start with a metronome going slow. When hitting two notes on adjacent strings in the same fret you must "roll" your finger; it is best to start off slow with an exaggerated "roll", and with time it will become nearly unnoticable as you get good at it. When sweeps like this are properly exectued your left hand should look like a spider crawling up and down the fretboard very fast, and your right hand should be moving with perfect flow up and down across the strings. Always keep it clean, good luck.