I'm writing/performing the music for a girl I know who sings, and she's a very good singer. The only problem is that we have somewhat differing music tastes. She's more into pop-punk, screamo, popmetal kinda stuff (two of the bands she's had me listen to are Cute is What We Aim For and Chiodos), and I'm more into offbeat, indie, surf, ambient, avant gard, etc kinda stuff (The Shins, Cake, Flaming Lips, Gogol Bordello, Mr Bungle, Blood Brothers, Cursive... you get the picture).

In any case, we've been playing acoustic, and she wants to do a short demo real quick, but decides she wants to do something more full band style, so I go into the studio yesterday to go ahead and get something rough together, 'cause since I know I'll be doin this all myself it's gonna take a while and she doesn't have a while. I arrange the song for 2 electric guitars and bass and do some rough drums (I'm not really a drummer, but she has a friend who is and will replace my drums), and I even throw in a little solo last minute.

http://www.hi9ordie.com/Untitled.mp3

Now, while this is still very rough, and the performance is not top notch (I just recorded it real quick so I could have her something to hear... no mixing aside from volumes and panning), I'm extremely satisfied with the writing of the parts. But, she is not. She says she wants it heavier, that it's too surf sounding.

So now I'm trying to find a compromise. I'm going to EQ the guitars to cut out some of the highs, give them a little more low end, I'm putting deeper EQing and distortion/fuzz on the bass, and I'm going to redo the higher guitar parts in the verses a bit tighter... more defined rhythm, single note riffing without so much chording.

I was just wondering if anyone else might have some suggestions to help me out... to make what I wrote sound more like what she wants without having to change the actual guitar parts too much. Things to add, take out, adjust, whatever.
I have an addiction...

Les Paul style DeArmond
Danelectro baritone
Rickenbacker 360/12
defretted Strat
lap steel
Yamaha CP-70
Yamaha P-90
Kay archtop
Kay Tenor Banjo
Oud
Sitar
Harmonium
Melodica
Cello

http://www.myspace.com/hi9
aw that's sad, i love surf, and it's good surf too. i suppose that if she demands that it's heavier, have the rhythm guitar come in with full distortion right on those bVI - V transitions, to give it a dynamic boost as you head into the next section of the song. but hey, i like the arrangement just fine as it is. maybe she doesn't like the drums... surf drums tend to all sound like the drum parts for wipeout or the wedge if you're not careful. good luck! defend as much of the arrangement as you can, though!
"You are amazed that it is so easy to infect men with the war fever, and you surmise that man has in him an active instinct for hatred and destruction... I entirely agree with you."

--Sigmund Freud in a letter to Albert Einstein

Haha... thanks for the encouragement. I do plan on being stubborn as hell... but I figure if I just make a couple of minor adjustments, it might make things easier to negotiate.

And since her friend will be doing the drums, that'll probably make them much less surf sounding, since he's a metal drummer.
I have an addiction...

Les Paul style DeArmond
Danelectro baritone
Rickenbacker 360/12
defretted Strat
lap steel
Yamaha CP-70
Yamaha P-90
Kay archtop
Kay Tenor Banjo
Oud
Sitar
Harmonium
Melodica
Cello

The chordal sections could be done with distortion, slightly different rythms (a palm mute here and there wouldn't hurt). The drums will make a big difference to give it a heavier feel.

The skanking rhythm is something that is pretty far from anything heavy, using a different rhythm (perhaps distorted again) there some of the time could bring out another feel.
dude.

i just listened to that.

it was AWESOME

bring back the surf!!!

but you could pass off as the drummer anyway.

not bad, not bad at all
ok, yeah. my name is silly because I signed up when I was 13.

BEDBUGS
Yea, I would love to bring back the surf... there's a local band, Daikaiju, that's this really amazing instrumental surf band, and I love them. Look them up if you haven't heard of 'em, they're great.

And the only reason those drums sound good is because I went in and copy/pasted a whole lot, and recorded the fills on a second track. I really am not that good, but I just really wanted to see what it sounded like with drums, so I did what I had to.
I have an addiction...

Les Paul style DeArmond
Danelectro baritone
Rickenbacker 360/12
defretted Strat
lap steel
Yamaha CP-70
Yamaha P-90
Kay archtop
Kay Tenor Banjo
Oud
Sitar
Harmonium
Melodica
Cello

Quote by nOtReGiStErEd
The chordal sections could be done with distortion, slightly different rythms (a palm mute here and there wouldn't hurt). The drums will make a big difference to give it a heavier feel.

The skanking rhythm is something that is pretty far from anything heavy, using a different rhythm (perhaps distorted again) there some of the time could bring out another feel.

oh come on let him have the skanking! that's punk enough--what about ska/punk bands, they have that!
"You are amazed that it is so easy to infect men with the war fever, and you surmise that man has in him an active instinct for hatred and destruction... I entirely agree with you."

--Sigmund Freud in a letter to Albert Einstein

Change nothing, man. She should be honoured to work with a bloke as talented as you - you wrote AND played all that yourself, if you leave her then she has nothing and all you're missing is a singer. Hell, Dave Grohl recorded the original Foo Fighters demo tape all by himself, just to see if he could. Bash out some vocals and you'd be away =D
www.myspace.com/stcircusthemighty

Check it out. If you like what you hear, friend me.

Quote by Rikifield
Nice acoustic man! And your voice is melting with the acoustic sound...
dude, if you lived by me, we'd have to set up a sweet ass indie rock band, that is some tight ****.
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Takamine G340SC
Epiphone G 310
I do have my own band... it's in my sig, and it's my name, Hi9. I play guitar, keyboards, and do all the vocals for that. And my bassist, who's house actually is where the studio is that I recorded this, heard the song and totally wants me to ditch her and keep that music for myself, just put my own vocals to it since that's the part she wrote and I have no rights to it and all (not to mention I don't even remember what they were). I gotta admit, I'm tempted to do that, but Allyson is about to be goin on tour with some band as their merch girl or somethin, and there is a chance she'll run into some important people or that this band will do really well. So it's either butcher my surf composition or potentially miss a big opportunity. Tough stuff.
I have an addiction...

Les Paul style DeArmond
Danelectro baritone
Rickenbacker 360/12
defretted Strat
lap steel
Yamaha CP-70
Yamaha P-90
Kay archtop
Kay Tenor Banjo
Oud
Sitar
Harmonium
Melodica
Cello

First of all, great song. Second, tell her that you're keeping the song how it is because that song ****ing rules, and it's original. Which is a great thing

p.s- your myspace kicks ass.
My stuff
Fender Telecaster Aerodyne Series
Gibson 1980 Les Paul Standard
Fender Standard Strat
Taylor 414-ce
Takamine Acoustic
1938 Gibson Lap Steel (priceless)
Fender Blues Junior
USA Big Muff Pi
Danelectro Fab Overdrive

My band
Last edited by imdwalrus at Sep 4, 2006,
Amazing. Change nothing.
Raoul Duke: There's a uh, big machine in the sky, some kind of, I dunno, electric snake, coming straight at us.

Dr. Gonzo: Shoot it.

Raoul Duke: Not yet, I want to study its habits.
Thanks for all the compliments everyone... I didn't really think the song was that great. I mean, I thought it was pretty cool, but I didn't exactly put tons of time into it, wrote it pretty quick. Maybe I should more strongly think about keeping it for myself...
I have an addiction...

Les Paul style DeArmond
Danelectro baritone
Rickenbacker 360/12
defretted Strat
lap steel
Yamaha CP-70
Yamaha P-90
Kay archtop
Kay Tenor Banjo
Oud
Sitar
Harmonium
Melodica
Cello

Put in a load of palm mutes......if that dosent satisfy a screamo girl.....
DARK_MATTER, Instrumental Post-Metal from Ireland

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 405QM
Ashdown PM600 - Peavey TVX 4x10
Russian Big Muff

Guitar:
Fender Jim Root sig
'99 Stagemaster 7-string
Yamaha F310
Hughes & Kettner Warp 7 w/4x12
Quote by Hi9
Yea, I would love to bring back the surf... there's a local band, Daikaiju, that's this really amazing instrumental surf band, and I love them. Look them up if you haven't heard of 'em, they're great.

I know Shantanu. He's really cool. I saw a flyer for your band a while back. I think you played with Sandia or something. I know White Mike from that band, I'm thinking about asking his punk band (Spunk Pie) is they wanna do a split tape with my old band (Nestor Makhno).
HELP ME I'M TRAPPED IN A HUMAN BODY!
Yea yea, I've known white mike since high school, he played drums in our drummer's first band, New Drug. And I don't know Shantanu personally, but Ronnie, the singer of the band I play cello for, is a friend of his, and apparently he's going to add some surf lead over a few of our songs once we get 'em recorded. That'll be fun.
I have an addiction...

Les Paul style DeArmond
Danelectro baritone
Rickenbacker 360/12
defretted Strat
lap steel
Yamaha CP-70
Yamaha P-90
Kay archtop
Kay Tenor Banjo
Oud
Sitar