Ok, I have been off and on with guitar now for 6 years, I know a lot now, but I cannot do solos. Now call me a n00b all you want, and the term might describe me. But I was wondering what scales I can do or what I should do to start the road to solos.

A link to what I should learn would be greatly appreciated.
Believe it or not, I have also been playing for 6 years and cannot master solos (except for really easy solos like green day ones). I'm trying to learn dani california by the chili peppers but that solo just is too hard for me
Just don't ask for a 'how to shred in 5 easy steps' because there arent any. :P

Solos don't have to be technically advanced, as long as they have sound imagination they can be decent. Cortez the Killer for example, yummy.
patrick stewart is awesome
OK, maybe because I am tipsy, everything I typed came out wrong. What I am having trouble with is playing solos, not comiong up with them. For example, me and my friends have a small band thing going and we are covering "Fear of the Dark" bu Iron Maiden, and I can't play the solo, I was wondering what I can do to make solos easer to play. Like what scales to learn and whatnot.
Well obviously be proficient at the pentatonic scale, then move onto the seven modes. A good tutorial for the seven modes can be found at: http://www.eddievanhalen.com/evh/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=676967
Just practice the crap out of those fretboard patterns, using all sorts of sequences ascending and descending (i.e. 123234345456 etc. where numbers represent the ordered notes in the scale). Some good generic rock solos to learn when you're starting on solos are some of Slash's neck pickup solos (He usually played two solos in a GNR song, a slow neck pickup one first and a faster bridge position one). Hope this helped.
Scale wise, astart with the Pentatonic minor.

It's the easiest and most widely used (in rock music)

Play this:

e|---------------5-8
B|------------5-8---
G|---------5-7------
D|------5-7---------
A|---5-7------------
E|5-8---------------

That's in A minor (Because the lowest note (5th fret, E string) is an A)

To play in a different key, take the shape, and play at a different fret.
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
well when first playing a solo i play it slow untill i know it and then speed it up untill i have it right. like for me one of my favorite solos is the solo to simple man by skynyrd. it took me 3 days to learn. 1 day playing it slow. 2nd day playing it fast. 3rd day i practiced it untill it was flawless.

also dont be an idiot and pick a 6+ minute solo as you first one to play. becasue it will take you forever to learn.
Find a pentatonic scale in what the key is, then add bends and changes in notes, after that adjust the speed so it sounds good.

OR

You can find notes that sound good, do some bends and stuff, that's what some bands do (not usually though)

For length I'd go with when you start, around 40 seconds and a medium speed, once you get the hang of that you should stay at that time and try a faster solo, whatever sounds right.
Quote by Zinnie
god placed the fossils in earth to confuse the humans into thinking that earth is older than it actually is, therefore, making men try and think outside the box....

just kidding, there is no god

www.youtube.com/user/andrew12398
Last edited by andrew12398 at Sep 3, 2006,
Quote by Stiffy Maximus
you hold a pick and play a series of notes. thats how i play a solo.

wow
Member #8 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
Quote by Stiffy Maximus
you hold a pick and play a series of notes. thats how i play a solo.

Mark Knopfler
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
If it makes you feel any better, I have this same problem -- had a guitar for a looong time but I suck. And well...I only really have myself to blame because I don't practice enough. But I know how you feel.