Page 1 of 2
Yeah. So I want to make a great amp better. I want to get some mods done on my Triple Recto to make it sound way killer...than it already is. Any recommendations on what specifically can be done to make it better? And where to send it?

I love Mike and Ikes.
You can get a bias trim pot installed. That might be a good idea. You'll be able to tweak the bias to a nicer sounding level, since I understand that Mesa biases rather cold. You should be able to find an amp tech that will do it for you.
^ yeah thats definately on the top of the list. I know a good amp tech thatll do it for pretty much nothing. I guess Im wondering what else you can do to it besides just the bias though...
i like voodoo mods they are very good and reversible if you dont like it
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
Quote by J Dub
Do a search on Google.

Well I know I can do a Google search. But if everyone just did that these forums wouldnt exist! lol

Ive been thinking about Voodoo mods. Expensive, but worth it? What do they do to the amp other than just swapping tubes??
all kinds of stuff it really clears everything up for the recto the tone becomes more defined with a tighter lowend and better highs and the cleans become much better they also do some kind of bias. very good mod if you ask me the peavey mod sounds amazing and its the same basic concept mod for the rectos
^ yeah new tubes and a bias will definately help a lot. Voodoo mods says that their standard Recto mod gets rid of the fizzy distortion, tightens the bass up, makes it cut through the mix way better. Im just curious as to how they do it I guess...
ya im not sure exactly what they do but i know for a fact that i matched my peavey up against a modded one that a friend had and the modded one is much better. so whatever they do it works
^ lmao I know its nuts huh!

With my old 6505 I had all I did to it was got it biased warmer and got some new tubes in it and it made it sound SOOOO much better!
IMO, all these mods are not worth it....mesa made there amps this way, and they are pretty amazing the way they are.

The bias knob in unnessesary....just get a higher graded tube, and your bias problem is done.

This, in turn, gets rid of the cross over distortion from cold bias, removing the fizz and buzz.

Try new tubes...they do wonders to the recto. It reallys breathes a new fire into the amp.

That is really the only downfall of mesa...poor poor tubes.
First, I would give your recto a try with EL-34s...I'm about to pop in a quad of E-34Ls (more bass powerful EL-34).....IMO, it makes the recto perfect...I'm not into the no mids tone....it really gives it more balls and a more complex tone.

If you're set with 6L6s, then I hear SED make a great 6L6! But I would really try the JJ-34Ls a try!

For the preamp, I hear Tung Sols in V1 are heavenly! Then, a JJ in V2, and and 9 generation in V3-V5!

As for rectifier tubes, the JJ-GZ34s fix the recto amazingly! Tighten up, and define the sound much much more!

Looking into tubes can completely solve your problem....pricey, especially with your triple, but better than modifying the amp IMO.
id probably listen to ibanez than me as he has more experience with a recto than i do
E34Ls.......... are they as Marshally as the El34s ??
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
Well, they're still EL-34 tubes, but the E-34Ls have an extended bottom end, which gets it a little closer to the 6L6.

If you think about the nature of the recto, it has HUGE bass to begin with....I've never put my bass knob past 12......though it lacks mids greatly.....

So, by swapping in an E34L, you lose a bit bass, which is no problem as the Recto has way too much, and you gain some much needed mids!

This way, you get a much more balanced amp with more body!

It is by no means a marshall....nothing close......it still has the Mesa fury that marshall can not even touch.....but, IMO, evens it out perfectly in the sound spectrum!
^ dude thats exactly what I wanted to hear! I never have my bass past 12 either! And I find that I have my mids now at like 2 o'clock because I got tired of that scooped, lifeless, generic sound. Ill definately pick up some EL-34s next time Im at work (I can get em for like 20 bucks a pair I think) and pop em in and see what happens. Thanks Eric.
Quote by ibanez4life SZ!

It is by no means a marshall....nothing close......it still has the Mesa fury that marshall can not even touch.....but, IMO, evens it out perfectly in the sound spectrum!

Well, according to your clips, that statement doen't hold water very well, seeing as my Marshall sounds much more "furious" than your Mesa. With the tone you're trying to achieve, all you really need is a boosted 800.
Guitars
Schecter C1 Blackjack
Fender Standard Strat (w SD JB Humbucker in bridge)
Squire Strat
Amps
Marshall TSL 60 Head
1960A Cab
Line 6 Spider II 112
Rack
Korg DT-1 Tuner
DBX Compressor
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by STPGuitar311
Well, according to your clips, that statement doen't hold water very well, seeing as my Marshall sounds much more "furious" than your Mesa. With the tone you're trying to achieve, all you really need is a boosted 800.

clips?
Quote by STPGuitar311

Dude. Put up or shut up.

Its not nearly as easy as you think to find 'your sound' on a Mesa. Finding the right spot to put the mic takes way longer than you think.
^ nah. I have a brand new Mesa Standard Recto cab loaded with V30s. Its a good thought though. Im always playing Rectos at stores with different guitars, cables, pedals...but always through Recto cabs. If I run into a cab I really like more than my Recto cab that might be a possibility.

Idk..I love the sound of my halfstack. I just think it can be better. Like I can make it my own sound or something lol.
Quote by ibanez4life SZ!
My clips are nowhere where they should be....I still haven't found optimal settings for recording....and mic placement too.....uhhhh....

But there is no way a Marshall will get the low end hit of a mesa...never.

I read somewhere that you never put your bass over 12 o'clock. If you're so into that Mesa low end, then why don't you utilize it? A coorectly EQ'd Mesa WILL have more tight, compressed, chunky low end. However, it's pretty easy to tell that yours doesn't have any of those characterisics as it sounds weak and thin. Maybe you should run it through a Mesa cab?
Guitars
Schecter C1 Blackjack
Fender Standard Strat (w SD JB Humbucker in bridge)
Squire Strat
Amps
Marshall TSL 60 Head
1960A Cab
Line 6 Spider II 112
Rack
Korg DT-1 Tuner
DBX Compressor
BBE Sonic Maximizer
^ Ill let Eric handle those comments. Dude I dont turn my bass pass past noon-1 o'clock and I have a Recto cab. Eric and I arent going for the typical Recto, scooped mids, fuzzy top end sound. Its just really hard to explain..
Maybe Look into a Marshall cab like a 1960bv as te cabs are a bit more mid based you can keep that nice bass the mesa gives off but still have the sweet mids that you seem to be looking for
Quote by kurdtkobaign
Dude. Put up or shut up.

Its not nearly as easy as you think to find 'your sound' on a Mesa. Finding the right spot to put the mic takes way longer than you think.

Have you guys ever thought that Mesa sound like Mesa, and no matter how much tweaking you do, you still sound like Mesa? From what I hear of Eric's clips, it sounds like a recto.

Also,

If something with your amp isnt satisfactory maybe you should purchase a different amp. I'm not really sure why you would want to buy an amp, say you love it.. and then you'd go and change it? I'm not sure, really, but if it doesn't have the bite you're looking for.. you might be happier somewhere else.

Like I said, a mesa boogie rectifier is a mesa boogie rectifier, its pretty hard to mistake it or make it sound like something else.
Personally I wouldn't bother, on an amp like a mesa it'll kill the resale and probably won't give you happiness. On a cheap amp/one with no resale value go for it, but not with an expensive amp.

Add a bias pot though, that shouldn't affect the resale. Anything else will.

If you're DETERMINED to do this you can turn a recto circuit into a SLO circtuit quite easily by changing a few things. (It'd take less than 2 hours easy.)

For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
yeah...i'd agree with the 2 posts above me, but i will say add the bias pot and swap the tubes, but i wouldn't do any serious mods.

that being said, if anyone knows of any good mods for a DSL, PM me
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
he he he You know you have a tone addiction when you start searching for mods for a rectifier!!
Hamer USA Chapparal Custom, scalloped fretboard & Sustainiac
Hamer USA Chapparal Elite, Dragon Snakeskin finish
BC Rich USA Gunslinger
BC Rich USA Warlock
Boss GX700
3TM ADA MP1
Rocktron XPression
Mesa 50/50 Stereo Power Amp
Laney 4x12 Cab
STPGuitar.....I really don't know what to say to you?!?!

Have you ever played a Recto? It has sooo much bass that if you turn it up past 1 o'clock, it's just too much....at 1, it's a lot, but at anything higher, it just isn't tone anymore.

Keep one more thing in mind....a Mesa isn't like your oh so glorious marshall....you can't peg the bass and treble, scoop the mids, and have tone....nope....it'll sound like ass on a mesa. The EQ is completely different...so technically, you're making a very stupid statement. Ofcourse I'm utilizing the Mesa low end....that's why I bought it.

Now, compare our tones live, and we'll see who has the better tone. Weak and thin?!?! Anything but my friend. Don't compare my poorly recorded tone to your "Marshall Perfection".....

We've got a know-it-all I'd say.....

As for Genocide, I agree, a Mesa will always be a mesa! But with a good retube, you can bring some new chracteristics to it! Yes, it will still be a mesa recto, but it will have something that the other don't!
man, its like a true war between the tone gods, Marshall in red corner and Mesa in the black,pitch black corner.
Quote by ibanez4life SZ!

As for Genocide, I agree, a Mesa will always be a mesa! But with a good retube, you can bring some new chracteristics to it! Yes, it will still be a mesa recto, but it will have something that the other don't!

Exactly dude. I know full on that a Mesa will always be a Mesa. And a Marshall will always be a Marshall in the same respects. Im not looking to 'change my tone completely' because if I wanted to do that I wouldnt have bought the Recto. Right now I really like my tone. I spent a good couple hours the other day carefully dialing in a really good sound. I was just toying with the idea of modding my Recto. But now Im just going to start experimenting with different tubes.

At the end of the day, if I wasnt to change anything at all about the Recto or the cab...Id be perfectly happy!
if you are going to experiment with different tubes, I would get the bias pot added. It should be cheap by your tech if you don't want to add one yourself. I'm thinking of doing it for my Mark eventually, just to experiment with tubes other than Mesa.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
^ yeah for sure. Thats the one thing I know for sure Im going to do. It opens up a lot of possibilities apparently...for any fixed bias amp.

[edit] ...a day in the life of a tone freak...lol
Quote by kurdtkobaign
^ yeah for sure. Thats the one thing I know for sure Im going to do. It opens up a lot of possibilities apparently...for any fixed bias amp.

[edit] ...a day in the life of a tone freak...lol

yep, I agree, I can see why companies do it though, just to make sure the tubes last beyond the warranty. I've also seen first hand what a difference it can make with my Framus, just like with your 6550.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Yeah it did wonders for the Peavey. And all that was done really was setting the bias a bit warmer!

Thanks peeps.
Page 1 of 2