Because I'm so sick of seeing these threads regarding Ibanez guitars, here's a thread that I hope could 'consolidate all these existing threads into one simple Ibanez thread'.

I'll be doing this by budget. Since there's quite a gap in the price of guitars in different places, I'll simply sort the guitars into these price ranges: Low, Medium, High and Very High. Simple, yet effetive.

Right, now to get the show on the road.

Low Budget

RG321MH: £179/$279. Mahogany body gives a warmer tone than the usual basswood, making this guitar a good choice for chunky powerchord riffing. The neck's really fast, too, so it's great for fast leads. Will need a pickup change, though.

SA-120: £169/$299. Again, a mahogany body, giving it a fat tone. Again, a nice neck, but I found it to not be as fast as the Wizard neck on the RG321. If you prefer the S series shape, go for this one if you're really strapped for cash.

ARC-100 £199/$299. Mahogany body, set neck, Les Paul styling. On first impressions it's a pretty great guitar for the price. Not for the shredders.

RG370DX £244/$359. The shredder's choice out of the low budget Ibanezes. Basswood body, Wizard neck (which is great!). From experience, the tremolo seemed ok, but I've heard that it tends to crap out after time, though. Seems nice, though, and you're probably not going to get much better for the price.

Medium Budget

RGT42DX £389/$unknown. I could only find it in UK online stores, strangely. Mahogany body, neck-thru... great sustain. The tremolo isn't bad either, but the prestiges have better trem units. If you can't *quite* push an RG1570, then be my guest. Hardtail version is recommended over the trem version.

S-470 £328/$499. Mahogany body, Wizard II neck, and a great tremolo unit too! To play it is like wiping your arse with silk, it's great! A shredder's choice, too. Pickups need changing, though. I'd suggest EMGs.

IC-400 £369/$519. The rhythm guitarist's choice. Mahogany body, set mahogany neck and a stoptail bridge give it really good sustain. The tone has a LOT of beef, so it's really great for rhythm work. Can't say I recommend it to shredders, though. They'd be much better off with the S-470, which is also cheaper.

SZ-720FM £399/$649. Another great rhythm guitar. It's got a really fat tone, and it's really light- it's great for getting a les paul tone without the back problems. I'd change the pickups, though- duncan JB/distortion in the bridge and a 59 in the neck should go great with it.

High Budget

RG1570 £445/$829. I don't think this guitar needs any introduction. Everything about this guitar is great- shredders, this is the one! The trem is really great, and playing it is effortless. The finish has to be seen 'in the flesh' to be believed, too- it's stunning. Needs a pickup change, however- look into Dimarzio. Tone Zone (bridge), YJM (middle) and Air Norton (neck) would be a great choice.

RGA121 £529/$899. The non-shredder's choice. Same great quality as the 1570, but without the hassle of the locking trem, and more of a warmer, deeper tone due to the mahogany body. Out of all the guitars I've suggested, this is probably the one I'd buy myself. Replace the pickups, though- Duncan JB/Distortion (bridge) and 59 (neck) would work well, as would EMGs if you're into metal.

Very Hgh Budget

S-2170 FW £839/$unknown. The first thing you notice about this guitar is the way it looks- it looks absolutely orgasmic. At this price, you won't be getting a crap guitar, so it's definately very good (even though I haven't had the opportunity to try guitars in this price range). I'd replace the pickups, though. If you're going for this one, you're probably into metal, so I'd go for EMGs.

RGT220A £1099/$unknown. Stunning finish coupled with nice woods and great hardware. The neck-thru contruction gived you all the sustain and top fret access you'd ever need, too. Like most Ibanez guitars, it needs a pickup change. Go for a Dimarzi Tone Zone/Air Norton combination or EMGs.

RGT200H £959/$unknown. A lot like the RGT220A, but with a mahogany body. This would, I imagine, give the RGT200H a warmer, beefier tone as opposed to the brighter tone of the RGT220A. Again, a pickup change would be required. Go for Dimarzios or EMGs.

J Customs £a lot/$a lot. Once you're in this price range, you should be looking at the Japanese custom guitars. From what I've heard, they're great. If you're still looking at Ibanez if you've got this amount of money, by all means go for a J Custom. Otherwise, you should be looking at stuff like Caparison and ESP custom. If you're into punk or hard rock you almost definately won't be looking at these high-end Ibanezes anyway, you'll have most likely moved on to Gibson.

Hope this helps and puts an end to all these Ibanez threads!
Last edited by Aidy Damage at Sep 3, 2006,
370 trem has been known to crap out on many users. also RGT42DX thats got a bad trem so indicate the hardtail version its just way better
Quote by azn_guitarist25
370 trem has been known to crap out on many users. also RGT42DX thats got a bad trem so indicate the hardtail version its just way better

Edited
S470 should be noted for a pickup change too, the stock pickups are woefully bad (but I suppose thats the trade off you get for everything else being awesome)
Ibanez S470 (Condor/Pyro/Warthog)
Rockafeller Custom
Laney Lionheart L20H
Framus FR212CB
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss DS-1 (Monte Allum Mod)
Boss DD-6
Electro-Harmonix Small Clone
Dunlop/MXR Phase 90 (Full Script mod)
Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2+
Quote by azn_guitarist25
should recommend more RG Prestige especially the neck thru models for their amazing finish

Will do.
Quote by Aidy Damage
Because I'm so sick of seeing these threads regarding Ibanez guitars, here's a thread that I hope could 'consolidate all these existing threads into one simple Ibanez thread'.

You sound like a "loans direct" advert.

For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
Quote by power freak

My next thread... 'would you like cheaper guitar insurance?'
Quote by power freak

The Ibanez threads won't go away. This will just kind of drift to the bottom of the forum.

I don't mind all the threads anyway. Asking questions is what this forum is for, really.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by timi_hendrix

The Ibanez threads won't go away. This will just kind of drift to the bottom of the forum.

I don't mind all the threads anyway. Asking questions is what this forum is for, really.

if you insist Timi you a guy or girl? bahaha yeh this thread will sink to the bottom but atleast we can point people in the right direction when they ask for what ibanez they shouild get with x amount of money and (insert beginner amp) amp
Any more suggestions for the list? I dunno, maybe it should be stickied. I'd rather see more varied threads than a billion Ibanez threads a day.
No one uses these kinds of threads when wanting to know which guitar to get. Its like with custom guitars VS factory made guitars. If the custom guitar didn't cost a dime extra, why settle for the factory made one?
Well, just to be like everyone else, here's my rig:

Fender American Stratocaster
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Washburn J28SDL

Mesa/Boogie F-50 Combo
It's just an all-purpose Ibanez thread to direct people to some good Ibanez guitars in their price range rather than them making a whole identikit Ibanez thread about it
this is a good idea, could be useful in the bass forum if there's a huge problem with threads over there.
Maybe add a "Beginner Budget"? With the GIO guitars, like the GRX and GRG series. $300 can sometimes be a lot for people who arent sure if they want to stick with guitar or not.
Ibanez Prestige RG1570 ftw!
Quote by redaxe
Maybe add a "Beginner Budget"? With the GIO guitars, like the GRX and GRG series. $300 can sometimes be a lot for people who arent sure if they want to stick with guitar or not.

Good idea. If this gets stickied, I'll probably add that. I've been using my GRG170DX for a long, long time, so I think that needs to be on the list. The worst thing about doing this list is that I've tempted myself...
Shove the RG3270M in there, I love mine and think it deserves a place
Ibanez RG3270M Prestige
Gibson SG Standard
Fender Mexican Strat w/ Kinman Woodstock Pickups

Vox Valvetronix AD120VTX (soon to be a Peavey 6505)

Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Dime Cry Baby From Hell
so if i was to get a s-470 and put some EMGs in there that would be a good idea?
Hehe just for the record I own both a GRX40 and an RG1570 and I still play the GRX, AMAZING playability. I have a 2004 model with an alder body and it's amazing. The NECK is just satin and AMAZINGLY fast, its not as wide as my wizard which I kinda like. Very good guitar, highly recommended, IMO the best beginner guitar. But as of 05 I think they are being made with Agathis :S
Ibanez Prestige RG1570 ftw!
Quote by Jaffaps2
so if i was to get a s-470 and put some EMGs in there that would be a good idea?

yes, yes it would. That or Dimarzios.
If you're gonna do this, then you should make it a really thorough list and get everyone to contribute.

Basically, there are so many Ibanez threads around, then really you need to do every single model.

Maybe lump some guitars together (such as the RG series with crappy trems) and write a bit for each section. Something like this:

RG Series: Any RG model below RG5XX has a poorly made trem which will break after a few months. Decent guitars, if you block the tremolo.

RG Prestige: Great guitars, good trem etc etc blah blah

Or something.

And get everyone to contribute, and just keep updating it.

And then when it's complete, we could get Mascot or another mod to shove it in the FAQ, and put something in the title. Because another individual sticky would be too much IMO.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music