When you are going to change your pickups, how do u know which has the tone that u are looking for ? Its not like we're able to try it out..it has to be put into the guitar first.

Just a thought. Might be getting a pickup change.
most of these pickups are in other guitars, or you can find sound clips somewhere.
Quote by azn_guitarist25
generally on the pickups website they will include sound clips

But usually they are plugged through 2000 dollar tube amps.
Quote by Invictious
But usually they are plugged through 2000 dollar tube amps.

still better than no amp wouldnt you say.
it's a pain. what you have to do is try out the few pickups that ARE readily available in guitars in the shops (duncan jb, '59, jazz, dimarzio tone zone, paf pro, air norton, EMG 81 and 85 etc.), and then use that as a stepping off block to the other ones- you bone up on what specs they have, and then compare them to ones you haven't tried- e.g. if you thought the JB was too distorted, you look for one with a lower dc resistance, or if it's too trebly, you look for a pickup with less treble, etc.

but yeah, a lot of it is guesswork. most of the time you end up emailing to company for their advice on what to get for the tones you want.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If your gunna be checking out Dimarzio pickups they have a lil pick your pickup dealio where u kinda say wut tones you want, wut genre u play, and wut kind of wood your guitar is and they suggest three different pickups for you. its pretty cool you should check it out.
www.dimarzio.com
Rig

Electra poser Les Paul Fitted with EMGs
MT-2 Metal Zone (Gave away to a friend)
Peavey Bandit 65 SS Combo Amp (Gave away to a friend)
Peavey 5150 212 Combo Amp
Quote by winkybear
When you are going to change your pickups, how do u know which has the tone that u are looking for ? Its not like we're able to try it out..it has to be put into the guitar first.

Just a thought. Might be getting a pickup change.

You don't and how do you know that its your pickup which is the problem in your tone chain?

Imho The obsession with pickups on this forum is a skint noob thing. They think that a change to a Seymour Duncan in there Wal Mart Strat copy will be the equivalent to Tonal Nirvana, I bet in the vast majority of cases it wont be because the main problem is there sh*te amp.
Get a good guitar amp, learn to play and get a good guitar made of proper wood then if your still not happy then look into some different pickups.
I bet if you've got all three of those covered you probably would'nt be fussing so much over pickups.
Hamer USA Chapparal Custom, scalloped fretboard & Sustainiac
Hamer USA Chapparal Elite, Dragon Snakeskin finish
BC Rich USA Gunslinger
BC Rich USA Warlock
Boss GX700
3TM ADA MP1
Rocktron XPression
Mesa 50/50 Stereo Power Amp
Laney 4x12 Cab
^ agreed. an emg81 won't turn a fender frontman into a recto...

but assuming the rest of your chain is good (amp, guitar, etc.), the right pickup can be the difference between a good tone, and a great tone- and can help your playing too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?