I wanna buy a new guitar. I was wondering what should i buy: a hollow body guitar or a Les Paul guitar? i usually play reggae, ska, jazz. I would go for the hollow body but i want some opinions. thanks
Buy a guitar like the Schecter S-1 on which you can split the humbucker with a coil tap and make it sound like a single coil so you can play ska like op ivy and the specials.
for ska and reggae you usually have quite a bright tone, something with single coils, i know its not very adventurous but a fender strat/tele will always be a safe bet
i'd have to go with the Strat or Tele also. Now Bob Marley was known to play a Les Paul, but if yer playin ska also, you need that high end sound. No sense gettin a Shecter and doin stuff to the pickups to get a single coil sound when ya can get it naturally from the Fenders.
He who acts, conquers.Nashvillepunk.org

I'm old, I'm tired, and I have acid reflux. So don't mess with me.
i've seen a reggae guitarist playing an SG with humbuckers, and while not as bright as a tele, sounded fine. i think the difference is over emphasized. it's gonna sound bright if you have the bridge pickup on and the treble up.
"You are amazed that it is so easy to infect men with the war fever, and you surmise that man has in him an active instinct for hatred and destruction... I entirely agree with you."

--Sigmund Freud in a letter to Albert Einstein

The guitar player in Big D had a Les Paul, and it sounded fine. But he also swithced for a few songs to a Tele and it sounded awesome. I jst think the Gibsons are Ok for Skapunk, but not as good for straight up ska and reggae. I'd go with a nice hollow body before them.

Quote by TN_BOOTBOY
i'd have to go with the Strat or Tele also. Now Bob Marley was known to play a Les Paul, but if yer playin ska also, you need that high end sound. No sense gettin a Shecter and doin stuff to the pickups to get a single coil sound when ya can get it naturally from the Fenders.

What about for Op Ivy stuff? Then you can have a humbucker for that style of ska
Quote by ss311
What about for Op Ivy stuff? Then you can have a humbucker for that style of ska

Well yeah, but that's Op Ivy. You could use almost any guitar for thier stuff as long as it sounded good. I was thinkin the guy was askin about more traditional ska and reggae.