Ok guys time for your expert advice....

I'm looking to buy an all tube combo soon, and i'm strongly inclined towards purchasing the Marshall dsl 401 as they are around my price range (400-500 pounds) and apparantly a good, solid amp for that price. Now my question is - Will they handle metal ok?

I need it to deliver tones from classic style metal like Iron Maiden and Black Sabbath to thrash tones and modern metal tones eg. Arch enemy, In Flames etc. Could I use this amp for the classic metal tones then will I need a Distortion/overdrive pedal to get the thrash and modern tones, or will an EQ help?

Any useful answers or opinions will be muchly appreciated, and any soundclips of this amp doing metal will be awesome. Thanks
i have been looking on to the very same thing - now 2 ppl need help
gear4music indianapolis // Blackstar HT-1R Metal
Iv got one at home. It will quite easily handle those classic metal tones, but it will most likely struggle with the more modern, even with an od or eq. But go and try it out to see whether it suits your needs or not, nobody else can decide that for you, we can only advise

New tracks on my profile! Please check them out and see what you think!
can you crank it?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
can you crank it?

Yeah sorry I meant to add that i will probably need to use it at fairly low levels. I'm guessing that this amp needs to be REALLY cranked to get a decent sound right? How about using a distortion pedal for low volume practice?
^ no, that will kill all thats left of its tone
New tracks on my profile! Please check them out and see what you think!
Hmm There good amps but imho most Marshalls need that little bit extra to sound really
good. I tried a DSL combo the other day at Sound Control and it had a nice tone but it did'nt have enough gain out of the box for my liking. Good for rock but not enough for metal (Even Maiden etc) imho. An overdrive pedal would sort this out for that style I should imagine. I will say though that I was playing this at low volumes so it will probably improve when your cranking the power section more.

Nice amp though and within your budget. I would also look at some other valve manufacturers (Laney etc) before you buy and see what you can get second hand.
Hamer USA Chapparal Custom, scalloped fretboard & Sustainiac
Hamer USA Chapparal Elite, Dragon Snakeskin finish
BC Rich USA Gunslinger
BC Rich USA Warlock
Boss GX700
3TM ADA MP1
Rocktron XPression
Mesa 50/50 Stereo Power Amp
Laney 4x12 Cab
cranking it this amp pwns (to a degree) and i would recomend a cabinet to go with it, just a 2x12. probably a marshall, but me i'd go for a Mesa, as i want some more balls outta this.
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
^This dude knows his DSL
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Quote by rockers73
Hmm There good amps but imho most Marshalls need that little bit extra to sound really
good. I tried a DSL combo the other day at Sound Control and it had a nice tone but it did'nt have enough gain out of the box for my liking. Good for rock but not enough for metal (Even Maiden etc) imho. An overdrive pedal would sort this out for that style I should imagine. I will say though that I was playing this at low volumes so it will probably improve when your cranking the power section more.

Nice amp though and within your budget. I would also look at some other valve manufacturers (Laney etc) before you buy and see what you can get second hand.

Did you go to the one in Bristol as i see your from the west country? What other decent combos do they have in there within my price range?

Joel did you use any pedals with your amp to get that high gain sound in your soundclips?
Last edited by Revelations at Sep 4, 2006,
nope, just the amp at bedroomish levels.
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Yes, I did.
Not quite sure what else they've got there valve and within that price range, go in there and ask there pretty friendly.
Hamer USA Chapparal Custom, scalloped fretboard & Sustainiac
Hamer USA Chapparal Elite, Dragon Snakeskin finish
BC Rich USA Gunslinger
BC Rich USA Warlock
Boss GX700
3TM ADA MP1
Rocktron XPression
Mesa 50/50 Stereo Power Amp
Laney 4x12 Cab
Quote by joel_grieve
nope, just the amp at bedroomish levels.

Really? I thought you had to really crank it to get that sort of gain?
Quote by Revelations
Yeah sorry I meant to add that i will probably need to use it at fairly low levels. I'm guessing that this amp needs to be REALLY cranked to get a decent sound right? How about using a distortion pedal for low volume practice?

maybe a boost pedal, like an overdrive? just to boost what's already there, and maintain at least some of the amp's tone...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Revelations
Really? I thought you had to really crank it to get that sort of gain?

thats at bedroomish levels. it gets abit more modern if you turn it up.

kepping in mind that sound is 0 mids, full treble half bass.
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
DSL + rebias (they don't at the factory) + new speaker + attenuator = Great sound

You can generally get away without an attenuator but the speaker change is essential to get a somewhat decent tone IMO.

For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details