Hey guys, id like to ask for some advice about fairly cheap recording.

Is it a good idea to buy an o.k mic and record straight to the computer?

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

Orange Rocker 30 head and a Tiny Terror
But is it good quality?]

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

Last edited by Lordoflax at Sep 3, 2006,
What do do the rest of you think?

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

i used to run a processor into cakewalk and it sounded decent, now i have a fullblown studio tho
my gear//
GUITARS
ESP Horizon Custom
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210
Quote by dertjoe
i used to run a processor into cakewalk and it sounded decent, now i have a fullblown studio tho

What mic was you using?

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

lol i use a £7.49 mic from argos it works just fine!
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
If your vegetarian girl harasses you about eating meat, snap back with, "Eating more entirely defenseless plants that provide us with oxygen?"

That'll shut that bitch up faster than two black eyes.

my guitar plugged right into the computer, but for vocals we used a AKG shockmounted Condesner mic
my gear//
GUITARS
ESP Horizon Custom
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210
Mic straight to computer will always yield less than mediocre results.

For decent recordings for the absolute cheapest get a Pod, toneports are rather lacking in everything for the price.
Ibanez -> Peavey -> Eardrums

Apparently I'm on some list of people to listen to..?
A Shure SM57's decent for what you're doing.
It's listed as an instrument mic but we use one when we're jamming in my friend's basement and it sounds decent. It runs for around 100 dollars i think.
Quote by Funky P
Mic straight to computer will always yield less than mediocre results.

Amp into computer is usually even worse! Then again, maybe my amp just sucks. It's really funny distortion though, always gets a laugh out of me.
"cheap" and "recording" dont really mix well, IMO. Ive got a very nice studio recorder that I record everything onto. Then I mix and EQ and Normalize/compress it all from there (each individual track). Then I finalize and Master it (using nice studio speakers). Then I record it into Audacity (which is free) and upload it to dmusic.

But in my set-up the recorder alone was like $3,200. Plus the cost of SM57s...

One way of doing it is to buy a nice, inexpensive (not 'cheap') 4-track recorder. A good little mic for mic'ing whatever (amp/vox) *Behringer makes good mics for the price*. And Download free software such as Audacity.

Record all your tunes into the little recorder. Then go from the recorder into the computer via USB.

But thats just one way of doing it.