I don't know much (if anything) about guitar wiring but I was wondering if it would be possible to give each pickup on a strat it's own volume control and tone control by replacing each control with push/pull volume and tone controls (if you can get them).
Also do you think their would be any point in doing this.
If you wire each pickup to a volume sure. Keep in mind you'd have to do one of these for each pickup. But if you want to keep it simple you could leave a 5 way selector and use one as a master volume/tone.

(Invalid img)

^ I hope you can see it.
Why push/ pull pots? What would the DPDT control? And it should be possible, LP's have them.
Quote by Dæmönika
Quote by italynlprkn
yo tambien
What the hell's a tambien?
Quote by Oblivion_Rps
its like basic math. 1 + -1 = 1
Last edited by wannabe jesus at Sep 3, 2006,
dang

I'd have to put it on my photobucket. But right now I'm to lazy. So what are you trying to do? If you have a volume for each one you could leave out the 5 way and use the volume to turn it on/off.
Quote by wannabe jesus
Why push/ pull pots? And it should be possible, LP's have them.

Push/pull pots so I can use the existing spaces on the guitar without having to drill new holes.

I am wanting to be able to control each of the pickups on my strat copy individualy so that when I switch pickups I can have different volumes or tone settings at the moment the guitar is HSS with tone controls for neck and middle pickups.
The only combination you cant get right now is bridge and neck (or all three). Well, I guess I'm one to talk I'm doing the same thing on one of my guitars. But I'm using toggle switches for each pickup.
I don't get that. Do you know a push/ pull pot is just a regular pot with an on/on DPDT to control something like a phase switch? If you want a volume and tone control for each pickup I think you're going to have to drill new holes.
Quote by Dæmönika
Quote by italynlprkn
yo tambien
Quote by Oblivion_Rps
I wasn't going to get rid of the five way selector but toggle switches or getting rid of it completley and just using volume controls might be a better idea.
I originally had this idea to have more control over my guitar.
Quote by wannabe jesus
I don't get that. Do you know a push/ pull pot is just a regular pot with an on/on DPDT to control something like a phase switch? If you want a volume and tone control for each pickup I think you're going to have to drill new holes.

What I meant by push/pull pot is like two pots built into one I thought I had heard of them before, as I said before I have very little knowledge about electronics so I might have made a mistake.
0.o Well I can tell you that a push/ pull pot isn't 2 pots built into one. I think you mean concentric pots, they are 2 pots stacked together.

Edit: Is this what you mean?

Quote by Dæmönika
Quote by italynlprkn
yo tambien
Quote by Oblivion_Rps
^ Sorry, In that case I want to use coincentric pots. Would they fit into the standard spaces in the guitar.
They should do. I wouldn't have a clue how to wire them into a 5 way selector switch though.
Quote by Dæmönika
Quote by italynlprkn
yo tambien
Quote by Oblivion_Rps
Last edited by wannabe jesus at Sep 3, 2006,
^ I think that'd be easier but it would mean having to have extra holes drilled to fit the toggles and there'd still be the hole for the 5 way toggle blade
Quote by Dæmönika
Quote by italynlprkn
yo tambien
Quote by Oblivion_Rps
you drill the holes over teh 5 way hole. It'd look odd if you ever put the 5 way back on again though.
Would the five way selector work if I were to wire it in this order:-
Pickup > Volume/tone control >five way selector > output
or am I missing something and is this what it will be like for the tone controls on the neck and middle pickup at the moment anyway.

Drilling holes over the old slot is a good idea as well.
I dont think so. It should be Pup>5 way>volume>tone (I use a master tone so thats the way I do it, In your case the tones are attached to a five way. Google is your friend.) Look online for a stock strat schematic.
you do realise that tone and volume are controlled by different taper right? so you will have to find concentric pots with two differen tapers for what you want to do, other than that, the wiring would be strange, but one of the gurus on here can probably help you with that. I presume the 5 way switch is so that you can have normal switching, and the tone/volume will only be active on the selected pups?
erm, after reading, im not too sure if the tapers are different, it may be the capacitor or the way thats wired that shanges it, though im sure they are different tapers, argh, im confused, damn alcohol.
Thanks for all your help I'll do some more research then I'll see what I'm going to do, I'll probably end up back here.