hey guys, Ive been playing guitar for about a year now, what things should i learn that would improve my overral technique?
Thanks in advance for your help!
Do you know/are you good at:

-Palm mutes?
-Alternate picking?
-Not anchoring?
-Keeping your arms relaxed when you play?

Practice those.
Microscopic awareness of what you're doing - when you slow down to the point where you reach a position of inner stillness you see things you don't see if you're going faster - this'll allow you to be aware of everything your body and mind is doing and in turn correct flaws in your technique - then you do excercises to reinforce the new good habit and eventually reach control and mastery of your instrument. (But that is also dependent on your mind, not just your physical ability).
Last edited by Johnljones7443 at Sep 3, 2006,
Quote by Johnljones7443
Microscopic awareness of what you're doing - when you slow down to the point where you reach a position of inner stillness you see things you don't see if you're going faster - this'll allow you to be aware of everything your body and mind is doing and in turn correct flaws in your technique - then you do excercises to reinforce the new good habit and eventually reach control and mastery of your instrument. (But that is also dependent on your mind, not just your physical ability).

But when your playing at blistering speeds, you forget yourself, you become detatched from the outside world and you start to become so focussed in what you are doing you feel as if the guitar is simply a part of your body. Its at this moment throughout your playing that you take a momentous step in your ability. You dont notice it at first, as it seeps in through the back of your brain, the tips of your fingers, the median of your soul......

Of course you have to first learn how to play fast, which isnt at all mandatory for progressing. Id suggest fingerpicking some arppegios of some nice chords in a progression. With that, you can master the acoustic, something that is just as important as electric.
Quote by Robbie n strat
In the changing rooms we'd all jump around so our dicks and balls bounced all over the place, which we found hilarious.

Little children should be felt, not heard.
Quote by notoriousnumber
But when your playing at blistering speeds, you forget yourself, you become detatched from the outside world and you start to become so focussed in what you are doing you feel as if the guitar is simply a part of your body. Its at this moment throughout your playing that you take a momentous step in your ability. You dont notice it at first, as it seeps in through the back of your brain, the tips of your fingers, the median of your soul.......

I know what you mean, I do - you have to play fast to be able to play fast kind of thing.

What I was talking about was building the foundations for being able to reach the point where your playing reaches a level of 'speed' completely seperate from ego and thought.

They're both as important as eachother - an example is speed bursts in a slow and aware practice session - you practice slow to build the foundation and do speed bursts to get comfortable playing it fast. Combine them and you have a recipe for success.

I'll quote Jamie Andreas...

''Control, and eventual mastery of the outer stresses generated by the motions of fast playing are only attained and maintained from its opposite, from this position of inner stillness called awareness.''

What you were saying is important, but what I was saying is mandatory if you want to be able to reach that point for your playing to take that leap.
^exactly, you need to build the foundation before you can attempt speed bursts and playing faster

on that note, check out this site

www.guitarprinciples.com

and perhaps purchase the book - i guarantee that learning how to practice will be the most important thing you can ever learn as a guitarist and musician
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
Quote by Robman2k9
Play with other musicians

+1, you'll learn a lot in a short time playing with other musicians.
"Notes are expensive. . .use them wisely"-B.B. King

"It's been very important throughout my career that I've met all the guys I've copied, because at each stage they've said, 'Don't play like me, play like you."-Eric Clapton
^^^^I agree whole-heartedly with that quote, who is that guy?
Quote by Robbie n strat
In the changing rooms we'd all jump around so our dicks and balls bounced all over the place, which we found hilarious.

Little children should be felt, not heard.