hey folks ,

just wanted to know ....how long does the initial pain on playin barre chords last ? ive been playing them for about the past 4 or 5 months at a rate of 1 to 2 hours daily ....how long does it take for the pain to vanish usually ?
What kind of pain are you experiencing? Fingertip "burning" pain? Or joint "aching" pain?
- FJ

Quote by Landover Baptist Church
If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

The pain will last until you get callouses unless you have joint pain then it may last a while.
Quote by sicformyage

me:you like acdc
them:yea i do
me:cool, whats your favorite song,other than back in black
them:i gotta go...

Quote by jordanzio
i love hilary duff and will eventually marry her... she does not know this currently...

oh i had that, lasts like a month or so dont worry its perfectly normal.
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
If your vegetarian girl harasses you about eating meat, snap back with, "Eating more entirely defenseless plants that provide us with oxygen?"

That'll shut that bitch up faster than two black eyes.

Maybe the action of your guitar is really high? High action means you have to push down on the strings much harder when you play a bar chord and that causes pain.
Washburn X50 PROFE
Dean Custom 450
Morley PWA Pro Series Wah
Big Muff Rams head
Zoom G2
Ibanez Phase Tone
Randall RG75 G3

Tales of Ale: http://www.talesofale.com
took me like 3 month but i only did the mfor like 30 or so minutes a day. you get used to it so dont worry there is nothing wrong
i know what u mean ive been playing for about 3 years now and its pretty much gone but i do still get it when i dont play for a week or two but i play about 4 hours a day (i have nothing better to do so i might aswell ) but i read in a magazine that carl barrat (former libertines frontman now dirty pretty things frontman) still gets the finger pain from playing barre chords and hes been playing all his life so its wierd
the amount of time ur spending constantly on them is going to cause pain untill you get callouses. you need to cut down the amount of time you spend o them untill ur fingers have toughened up a bit
StueyALBB
Quote by scott5150
The pain will last until you get callouses unless you have joint pain then it may last a while.

yea...my callouses rip off by themselves so then i have a big raw spot...it sucks
^Yea, that always sucks.

Of course, we still don't know exactly what kind of pain the TS is experiencing because he never cares to check back on his thread...
- FJ

If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

You're pressing too hard. It should hurt your skin at first, but if you have to work too hard to press, you should either lower your string gauge or your action. Muscle pains shouldn't be a problem after just a week, if any. I also use a gripmaster medium (I would use a heavy, but my shop doesn't hold one). It helps a lot. A lot of people complain about pain, but they're probably doing it wrong or trying too hard.
"Chuck-E-Cheese called. They want their band back."
Quote by inlovewithmusic
its mainly muscle pain ....get it from the part where my thumb meets the palm ....is tht normal ?

Yea, it's fairly normal. Since you are fairly new to guitar, those joints will be under a new sort of strain that it hasn't experienced before. I got that as well when I first started, but it will eventually go away. How long? I don't know. But if it still persists a month or two from now, I would maybe get it checked out by the doc.

Or if you are pressing too hard with your thumb on the neck, don't press so hard. Maybe lower your action if it's too high.
- FJ

That depend of what form of barre chord. I have 3 years playing, and there's a classical piece called Chi Mai, that has some barre chords at the end of the song that keep getting me the pain in the wrist. If is about the finger pain, i don' think that will last more than a 1year.
thanks a lot guys ...but wierd part is ....my strings are as close to the guitar fret as they can get ....at least thts what i feel .....maybe im pusing too hard....i also do a lotta finger exercises ....could tht be the reason ...i do them for lik half an hour before i start playin ....also .....is there a site from where i can learn how to do the adjustment on the bridge myself .....?
Quote by inlovewithmusic
thanks a lot guys ...but wierd part is ....my strings are as close to the guitar fret as they can get ....at least thts what i feel .....maybe im pusing too hard....i also do a lotta finger exercises ....could tht be the reason ...i do them for lik half an hour before i start playin ....also .....is there a site from where i can learn how to do the adjustment on the bridge myself .....?
dd