like it says....what the hell is a rake? and how is it done...if u know a link to a video with an explanation that would be better!! thanks
a rake is like quickly gliding your pick over three or more notes to make like a musical "bleep" note.
check out zakk wylde or kirk hammet. one by metallica uses a rake in the intro solo.

/rake\
e|-----14----- just try gliding your pick over these three notes.
b|---15-------
g|-16---------
D|-------------
A|-------------
E|-------------
do u have to palm mute it or anything cos i sweep my pick across but it comes out like a pile of crap!
well the song im tryin to learn which has the rake is "live again" by silent civilian...ive got the notes but it sounds so crap....do u have to pull your finger off each fret or do u just simply hit each?
there one in the first riff in the second chorus of hotel calfiornia
[member of UG's Slide Player Legion
PM Shedmeiser101 to join if your feelin dem blues
try turning down your distortion a bit.... if that doesn't work, then i don't know what to tell you. it's kind of hard to explain.
well a rake is sweeping dead notes just like this:

e|------7-------|
B|-----x--------|
G|----x---------|
D|---x----------|
A|--x-----------|
E|-x------------|
Quote by Jimi Hendrix
The Blues Is Easy To Play But Hard To Feel.

Quote by Chris Impellitteri
I Promise That My Solos Will Only Get Faster.
[Practice Makes Perfect][Hell Yeah]
a rake is a sweep with 2 or more dead notes, it can be used to add a little percussive spice to notes.
theres a rake in the intro to burnt offerings - testament and the intro solo to one by metallica, of course

e|-----------------17h15------------|       
b|-------------x--------------------|       
g|----------x-----------------------|       
d|----------------------------------|      
a|----------------------------------|     
e|----------------------------------|

theres an article in cyberfret
http://www.cyberfret.com/techniques/rakes/index.php
David Gilmore of Pink Floyd uses this technique a lot. You hit one or two muted strings before you hit your note. It accents the note. Remember to do it quick.
Quote by libriumbum
Basically you just sweep across the strings with your pick,

And if playing notes on the higher strings then mute the lower ones and hit the higher. You should still hear the notes with a muted sound.
Member of the 'Guitarists Born In 1991' Club. PM Greendayguitar, gdm09 or blues_rocker to join.

-Gibson LP Classic
-Fender American Standard Strat
-Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
-Peavey XXX w/Marshall Cab
i saw on a satriani video he was doing reverse rakes, are they just up, instead of down? also it didnt look or sound like he was muting strings....
Quote by schecter1971
And if playing notes on the higher strings then mute the lower ones and hit the higher. You should still hear the notes with a muted sound.

yes. you DO have to palm mute the non-target notes. Dick Dale's "let's go trippin'" riff has a rake in it, which comes out really nice and clear thanks to the heavy reverb.
"You are amazed that it is so easy to infect men with the war fever, and you surmise that man has in him an active instinct for hatred and destruction... I entirely agree with you."

--Sigmund Freud in a letter to Albert Einstein

People are getting raking confused with sweeping. Raking is gliding your pick over the strings to create a percussive effect/sound. Listen to Sultans of Swing by Dire Straits, you can hear Mark Knopfler rake during the intro. Basically you 'rake' your pick across the strings whilst muting notes and then finally hitting a note on a higher string.