Page 1 of 2
Does anyone know if there are fretless guitars? i know there's fretless bass' but i was just wondering are there any fretless guitars? or would you have to have one custom made if you wanted one?
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Tha' Get Away Driva' of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati

Quote by Alicee
I gave my brother a hand job. It was weird at first. It was weirder after.

yes, they exist, but i 'm not sure if you must get them custom, i'm sure at least one company must make them
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
i don't have a clue mate but your sig ****ing rules - black rose immortal's my fave song of ALL TIME.
I see utterly no point in a fretless guitar...

2004 MIM Strat w/ Fender Hot Noiseless pickups
Sovtek MiG 60
Avatar 2x12 w/ Celestion Greenbacks
Snark Tuner
MXR Custom Comp
Fulltone Full-Drive 2
Dunlop JHM3 Univibe
TC electronic Nova Delay
TC electronic Arena Reverb
Quote by MrDinkleberry
I see utterly no point in a fretless guitar...

ummm... you dip****... they sound so unique.

there was recently a concert of fretless instruments, mainly guitars, in Japan.
I've been curious about playing one. It'd definatley enhance a thing or two as far as playing without looking. I love how a double bass and fretless bass work. It'd be a fun thing to experiment with.
in the name of desperation
i call your naaaaaaame

and yes they do exist
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
to those who see no point to fretlesses, think of this
guitarists and bassists have it easy, look at cellists, violinists, bassist(the big kind), and violist, they dont have frets, its all by feel, yet we feel as if frets are a must have for us to be able to play
Quote by beadhangingOne
Frets aren't a must, it's just the way guitars and basses are, the real question is, is there any improvement in tone or playability? if not I don't see the point of having fretless guitars
ESP and Jackson Fanboy
i personaly respect people who play fretlesses more then fretted, even if they cant shred or anything on it, that'd be hard as hell without frets...
Quote by beadhangingOne
Vigier Surfreter I believe is what theyre called. . .
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
alright sweet thx. and imo fretless guitars would just be really fun and different to play, get a better feel and what not.
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Tha' Get Away Driva' of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati

Quote by Alicee
I gave my brother a hand job. It was weird at first. It was weirder after.

Been playing guitar for a couple of years now, but I've been playing violin and viola for about 10 years now, so dude, I totally understand why you'd want a fretless. It basically takes away a few restrictions, and will seriously help with anyone's playing, so you can basically learn, like one someone said, by feel. Definitely get one, it's really really cool.
Band forming. Drummer and bassist needed, pos backing vocalist. Based near Richmond, Surrey (UK). Pm if interested.
Quote by hamish5178
Vigier Surfreter I believe is what theyre called. . .

They are.

And besides, even if you don't like fretless guitars, you can't argue with the fact that's it's insanely awesome looking:

If everything goes to plan, I'm getting the blue one in october
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
yeah um scott ian has one which is frettless from the 12th frett and the guys pics above lol. theres a pic floating around on the ESP boards of scott's guitar.
gear.

Schecter Loomis sig.
Engl fireball.
the highest.

CANNABIZZLE

Lets blaze, put this in your sig if you want to get high.
Quote by bodomfan666
yeah um scott ian has one which is frettless from the 12th frett and the guys pics above lol. theres a pic floating around on the ESP boards of scott's guitar.

I've looked around, but I couldn't find it (maybe also because 'ian' is too short to be entered into the ESP search engine).
steve vai played one on a youtube video a saw once
Member of the Jackson RR24 Owners club!

Esp Eclipse II Snow white
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RGA-8
Jackson RR24 Black w/yellow bevels, Limited 1/75
Yamaha FG-400A
Quote by sepultura alma
steve vai played one on a youtube video a saw once

That's his triple neck. It has a twelve string (which he tuned to an open chord in that video), a regular six string and a fretless neck with a wooden fretboard (as opposed to metal or glass which are also used on fretless instruments).

Last edited by Bonsaischaap at Sep 30, 2007,
Quote by TheBarnard
Been playing guitar for a couple of years now, but I've been playing violin and viola for about 10 years now, so dude, I totally understand why you'd want a fretless. It basically takes away a few restrictions, and will seriously help with anyone's playing, so you can basically learn, like one someone said, by feel. Definitely get one, it's really really cool.

same here, except just violin

but yeah, you could basically get the sounds of a floyd rose with a fixed bridge fretless more or less, and if you don't want to go custom, agile's even got a nice fretless les paul style guitar, it even has fret lines (where the frets would be) and position markers, but it's still fretless, if you want to learn on one, i bet it'd be much easier to get used to
Quote by Chad11491
same here, except just violin

but yeah, you could basically get the sounds of a floyd rose with a fixed bridge fretless more or less, and if you don't want to go custom, agile's even got a nice fretless les paul style guitar, it even has fret lines (where the frets would be) and position markers, but it's still fretless, if you want to learn on one, i bet it'd be much easier to get used to

It's quite common for fretless guitars to have those fret lines and position markers (especially side dots) and I guess they're quite a helpful guide.

The one thing I have against the Agile is that I'm guessing it has a wooden fretboard. Even if you use flatwound strings these things still wear out. The main reason why I want a Vigier so bad is because of the metal fingerboard, on the other hand, the Agile is probably a lot more affordable.
with fretless guitars bends and slides become much smoother and you can play a wider range of notes (you can play double flats and sharps etc) so you can see how this can be an advantage to an experienced guitarist but for someone with no experience with a fretless instrument or who hasn't perfect as many techniques as they can on a fretted guitar, fretless could be a hinderance e.g. playing quarter notes out etc.

you need to be able to tell a note simply by hearing it if you ever want to be able to play accurately, otherwise you'll be estimating where the note is.
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Quote by Bonsaischaap
It's quite common for fretless guitars to have those fret lines and position markers (especially side dots) and I guess they're quite a helpful guide.

The one thing I have against the Agile is that I'm guessing it has a wooden fretboard. Even if you use flatwound strings these things still wear out. The main reason why I want a Vigier so bad is because of the metal fingerboard, on the other hand, the Agile is probably a lot more affordable.

i don't know how much that vigier would run, but if it wouldn't have any durability problems like the agile's wooden fretboard, then i'd go with it, although, i have a 250 year old violin that has never had it's fingerboard replaced, and it works fine, but then again, guitar strings are much thicker
Quote by Chad11491
i don't know how much that vigier would run, but if it wouldn't have any durability problems like the agile's wooden fretboard, then i'd go with it, although, i have a 250 year old violin that has never had it's fingerboard replaced, and it works fine, but then again, guitar strings are much thicker

Violin strings are made out of nylon (and before the invention of the nylon string they were pretty similar in thickness and texture) so they don't 'cut' into the fretboard like steel strings do. A wooden fretboard combined with roundwound strings and regular playing means replacing it every few months, if you change your strings to flatwounds it drastically extends the life of your fretboard, but if you play it regularly, most boards only last a few years, while in 27 years that Vigier has been making these fretless guitars with metal boards, they've never had to replace a single one.

I don't know the price of the Agile, but most new Vigier Excalibur Surfreter guitars run between 2500 and 3000 euro's, so they don't come cheap.

Edit:

Here's the Agile and for $369,99 it seems like a great deal if you want a fretless guitar without emptying your wallet.

Last edited by Bonsaischaap at Sep 30, 2007,
Quote by Bonsaischaap
Violin strings are made out of nylon (and before the invention of the nylon string they were pretty similar in thickness and texture) so they don't 'cut' into the fretboard like steel strings do. A wooden fretboard combined with roundwound strings and regular playing means replacing it every few months, if you change your strings to flatwounds it drastically extends the life of your fretboard, but if you play it regularly, most boards only last a few years, while in 27 years that Vigier has been making these fretless guitars with metal boards, they've never had to replace a single one.

ah, i see what you mean, not trying to sound like an @$$ but usually they're gut (some brands use some synthetic fiber though, it may be nylon in the synthetic cores XD ) cores with aluminum wrapping, with the top string being gold or some other material, the vigiers look nicer than the agile's IMO, too bad they're so expensive, i would like to try a fretless
Quote by Chad11491
ah, i see what you mean, not trying to sound like an @$$ but usually they're gut (some brands use some synthetic fiber though, it may be nylon in the synthetic cores XD ) cores with aluminum wrapping, with the top string being gold or some other material, the vigiers look nicer than the agile's IMO, too bad they're so expensive, i would like to try a fretless

They're pretty impossible to find in stores. When I was looking for a Vigier I got lucky and found a store near me that has one coming in somewhere during october, but normally there's a 3 to 6 month wait for these things.

Fretless guitars are quite weird instruments, so not every dealer wants to have them in stock, for the fear of them not selling. That means that the few who do want to stock them, usually will have sold them before they even reach the store. Your best bet is to call up a few dealers who sell brands that make fretless guitars and ask them if they have some coming in, but the chance of finding one is pretty small without actually ordering them.
I actually do have schizophrenia, so stop making fun of people who have it.

GEAR:
Boss ME-50
Silvertone Paul Stanley Apocalypse (modded)
Squier Affinity Strat (modded)
Italia Modulo 2
Fender Front 15G
Quote by Bonsaischaap
They're pretty impossible to find in stores. When I was looking for a Vigier I got lucky and found a store near me that has one coming in somewhere during october, but normally there's a 3 to 6 month wait for these things.

Fretless guitars are quite weird instruments, so not every dealer wants to have them in stock, for the fear of them not selling. That means that the few who do want to stock them, usually will have sold them before they even reach the store. Your best bet is to call up a few dealers who sell brands that make fretless guitars and ask them if they have some coming in, but the chance of finding one is pretty small without actually ordering them.

thanks, my friend was talking about getting some sort of fretless, i hope he does so i can play around on it
Quote by Chad11491
thanks, my friend was talking about getting some sort of fretless, i hope he does so i can play around on it

It would give you a good impression of whether you like it or not, so for your sake, I hope he gets it
Japan-only ESP guitars.

Is there anything they haven't made?
Quote by Bonsaischaap
Japan-only ESP guitars.

Is there anything they haven't made?

No. I want to go to Japan for the sole purpose of seeing or buying one of them lol.
hoimhi0et0hm03oi
Quote by gopherthegreat
those are pretty awesome

You should check out ESP's Japanese site; there are some insane guitars on there (especially in the signature guitars section).

The Japanese are pretty spoiled by ESP and Ibanez (J-custom line), while we (we being people who don't live in Japan) get the regular stuff (still good, but not as good as what you can get there).
Fretless guitars exist and are wonderful, if well made. If you just strip the frets off a guitar, fill and sand, like you could on a bass, it will be absolutely ruined. The nut and bridge will be too high, and it will sound like crap (I did it).
Now a properly made guitar with a METAL or GLASS fretboard will sound awesome with the right pickups and string choice (heavier the better). I think Zakk Wylde and BumbleFoot have experimented with them, and you can find them on youtube. The custom guitars cost over $1000.

I made a 5 string fretless jazz bass out of the stratocaster I ruined, and it actually works damn well! I made my own nut and bridge, and use flatwound jazz strings, tuned like a standard bass E A D G C. It took a lot of work filling, sanding, radiusing, and experimenting with string guages. It plays notes accurately though, but doesn't have the heavy string tone or slap sound.

You can message me to hear it.

Quote by Blak R Immortal
Does anyone know if there are fretless guitars? i know there's fretless bass' but i was just wondering are there any fretless guitars? or would you have to have one custom made if you wanted one?
Quote by stratbassplayer
Fretless guitars exist and are wonderful, if well made. If you just strip the frets off a guitar, fill and sand, like you could on a bass, it will be absolutely ruined. The nut and bridge will be too high, and it will sound like crap (I did it).
Now a properly made guitar with a METAL or GLASS fretboard will sound awesome with the right pickups and string choice (heavier the better). I think Zakk Wylde and BumbleFoot have experimented with them, and you can find them on youtube. The custom guitars cost over $1000.

I made a 5 string fretless jazz bass out of the stratocaster I ruined, and it actually works damn well! I made my own nut and bridge, and use flatwound jazz strings, tuned like a standard bass E A D G C. It took a lot of work filling, sanding, radiusing, and experimenting with string guages. It plays notes accurately though, but doesn't have the heavy string tone or slap sound.

You can message me to hear it.

Awesome, I'm sure the TS'd really appreciated this, back in 2006!
Page 1 of 2