Hi UG'ers (stole that from someone one lol)

I just checked out a video on here about some boogie playing, it involved amongst others a G barr chord and it invovled hammering on at the 6th fret with my little finger.

I just cannot make that stretch because I have stupid little hands, do others with small hands get over this problem in other ways or can that stretch be made eventually??

Thanks in advance.

Peter
it'S all about practicing...just strech as far as you can without feeling any pain...this s´hould be allright
Hold my breath
as I wish for death
Oh please god wake me
well if your hands are simply too small thats just the way it is, tbh i have big hands and i hav for some reason always worked on huge stretches. I used to not be able to stretch from 1-5 now i can do it no problem and i am aiming for getting 1-8 comfortly but i think my hands just cant get it, so i say keep trying, although stretching like that from that chord i can imagine is quite hard
maybe so...maybe so young one.

Quote by Friggly
"But just PRETEND i'm not your sister"

Quote by dingmydong
I'm gonna start reffering to the female reproductive organ as the scarlet monastery now

oh yea sorry for double post here but i just tried it and i could only get to fret 5, i would try finding the note on another string that is more accessible
maybe so...maybe so young one.

Quote by Friggly
"But just PRETEND i'm not your sister"

Quote by dingmydong
I'm gonna start reffering to the female reproductive organ as the scarlet monastery now

on a g barre chord? like ur index finger is over third fret and the rest shaped liek an e... if u cant move it to the sixth fret i dunno just stretch alot and i mean alot lol cause that shouldnt be any problem
and what string are u hammering on?
Epiphone Les Paul Special 2
Samick Corsair (custom evh paint job)
Bever Creek Acoustic
Boss DS-1
Behringer Bx108
Behringer Kx1200
Put your guitar on your left leg (assuming you're fretting with your left hand) and put your left foot on a stool/some book/something to elevate it - with your guitar resting on your left leg you'll have more room to manoveur your left arm and that'll let you stretch your fingers further - give that a go and it should give you a few extra CMs - either way you'll find after a few weeks if you keep practicing it you'll be able to make the stretch no problem.

Quote by devandivine
on a g barre chord? like ur index finger is over third fret and the rest shaped liek an e... if u cant move it to the sixth fret i dunno just stretch alot and i mean alot lol cause that shouldnt be any problem
and what string are u hammering on?

He's effectively doing this...

|-3-|
|-3-|
|-4-|
|-3-|
|-7-|
|-3-|
Last edited by Johnljones7443 at Sep 3, 2006,
Often, it isn't the size of the hand that is the problem. Perhaps you don't think you can make, but really, your hand isn't used to that sort of stretch. Maybe start by stretching your pinky to the 4th, then the 5th, then the 6th. Then, the 7th (even if you cant make it at all, reach!) when you do that, 6th fret will seem much easier.

I agree with JohnL. Try putting it on your left leg, and elevate.
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
Quote by Johnljones7443
Put your guitar on your left leg (assuming you're fretting with your left hand) and put your left foot on a stool/some book/something to elevate it - with your guitar resting on your left leg you'll have more room to manoveur your left arm and that'll let you stretch your fingers further - give that a go and it should give you a few extra CMs - either way you'll find after a few weeks if you keep practicing it you'll be able to make the stretch no problem.

He's effectively doing this...

|-3-|
|-3-|
|-4-|
|-3-|
|-7-|
|-3-|

Putting Guitar on left leg makes it really hard to play, I have been used to putting it on my right leg which seems natural.
Quote by espltdtosh
your 52 your hands have stopped growing mate, id give up i was you, sorry

I don't want to give up thanks, read other offers of advice, I will try their methods first before I call it a day, Thanks anyway
^You're not going to get anywhere doing what's natural - learning the guitar isn't about taking the path of least resistance and shortcuts.

That aside... keep doing what you're doing and in a few weeks you'll be able to make the stretch.. no problem.
Quote by Johnljones7443
^You're not going to get anywhere doing what's natural - learning the guitar isn't about taking the path of least resistance and shortcuts.

That aside... keep doing what you're doing and in a few weeks you'll be able to make the stretch.. no problem.

John I am not interested in short cuts but many times I have read on here that play in the most confortable way you can, BTW i am playing an accoustic does that change things ie would an electric guitar suite me better?
its possible, what nightwind says, usually you just think you cant but you can, and try moving around your body to get a better grasp, like nighwind said, play riffs that require stretching, still day beneath the sun by opeth is one, finger picked song, pretty big stretch in it, i couldnt do it to save my life a few months ago, but now i can do it cleanly and just about perfect, its just a matter of telling yourself your fingers dont hurt when you do it, and eventually they wont
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
and yes an electric would be easier to stretch further with
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
Quote by redrider37
John I am not interested in short cuts but many times I have read on here that play in the most confortable way you can, BTW i am playing an accoustic does that change things ie would an electric guitar suite me better?

That's fine... I mean, naturally you don't want to stretch that far because it's going to hurt - but normally, when someone says 'Just do what's natural' they really are just plain wrong. Many people find it natural to rest their pinky on the guitar while picking - they might be doing what's natural, but they're doing it wrong - I mean that kind of natural - not going against your natural urge to stop something because of pain.

And yes, you'll probably find it easier to stretch on an electric - aslong as you don't find learning on an acoustic too hard and give up, once you switch to electric, you'll be able to do that stretch in your sleep
Quote by Johnljones7443
That's fine... I mean, naturally you don't want to stretch that far because it's going to hurt - but normally, when someone says 'Just do what's natural' they really are just plain wrong. Many people find it natural to rest their pinky on the guitar while picking - they might be doing what's natural, but they're doing it wrong - I mean that kind of natural - not going against your natural urge to stop something because of pain.

And yes, you'll probably find it easier to stretch on an electric - aslong as you don't find learning on an acoustic too hard and give up, once you switch to electric, you'll be able to do that stretch in your sleep

Thanks, I know you meant well mate.