I posted this earlier in the gear forum and got little response. Im jus after a little help with adjusting the springs in the back of my guitar which has a floyd rose to accomodate the tension change when i move from 9's to 11's. firstr off its its a tension increase or decrease, and secondly i have taken all the strings off my guitar so im a litlle lost what tot do first, set the spring sor put on the strings. any help appreciated thanks.
Gear:
Wasburn x-40w/floyd roseOFR
Swineshead venom+warthog pups
Kustom 100 wt quad DFX,Boss MT-2,Ibanez TS-7
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Post a naked picture of yourself with your guitar to join.
For future reference: when removing a floyd rose, don't cut all the strings, but do it like this:
http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/remove.htm

Now, what you should do is this: Put the new strings on and tune the guitar (make sure you stretch them in). At this point the tremolo will not be flush with the body because of the extra string tension. Grab yourself a screwdriver and tighten the two big screws that hold the plate to which the screws are attached:

When you have tightened the screws (not too much) retune the guitar. The back of the tremolo (the bit with the fine tuners) should be closer to the body (i.e. it will stand at a sharper angle then before). Repeat this process of tightening and tuning until the trem sits flush with the body like this:

You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Last edited by Bonsaischaap at Sep 3, 2006,
He cut his strings!!!

But yea, just loosen your strings the old-fashioned way (if you want to call it that) instead of cutting them. Cutting them causes a sudden release in tension which can be hell on the neck. Really, I recommend taking the strings off one at a time, and replacing them as you go to avoid such losses in tension. So yea...

As far as the trem adjustments go, the guy above me has it pretty well covered.
- FJ

Quote by Landover Baptist Church
If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

haha what happened to the strings was weird. the high e snapped because too much force was put on the whammy bar andn there was a chain reaction snappage of another 2! so i just removed the other 3. But yeah i never cut all the strings =p. Thank you so much for oyur help guys ill have this done in no time now. =D
Gear:
one last question though, ill definatley have to readjust the intonage yeah? buecause im making a leap form 9's to 11's here. would that include truss rod adjusting? ive never changed gauge on a floyd rose before, so im rather new to it, im fine with changing the strings and tuning it thats no problem.
Gear:
You might have to adjust the truss rod, but let the new strings settle in first to check if it's neccessary. To check if the intonation is right you must tune you're guitar perfectly with a digital tuner and then compare the open string to a harmonic at the 12th fret. If the needle (that is, if you have a digital tuner with a needle) indicates that the harmonic is slightly out of tune, you have to adjust the intonation (refer to the manual for the exact procedure, since there are many types of Floyd Rose bridges out there).

Edit: if you need to adjust the truss rod, please take a look at this site:

http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/trussadjust.htm
Last edited by Bonsaischaap at Sep 3, 2006,
ok i have the bridge flush, and all strings stretched. im playing a natural harmonic at the 12th and it is giving me exact readings at the needle does this mean my intonation is perfect? the guitar is perrfectly tuned i am using the digital tuner on my guitarport.
Gear:
Quote by x0rsist
I posted this earlier in the gear forum and got little response. Im jus after a little help with adjusting the springs in the back of my guitar which has a floyd rose to accomodate the tension change when i move from 9's to 11's. firstr off its its a tension increase or decrease, and secondly i have taken all the strings off my guitar so im a litlle lost what tot do first, set the spring sor put on the strings. any help appreciated thanks.

first thing, go to a guitar shop and get the trem readjusted. You pretty much broke your guitar by taking all the strings off at once.
Dickless.
the trem is working fine... i know not to take off the strings all at once its just 3 snapped in a chain reaction due to too much pressure on the trem bar when i set it down.i released the last 3 strings one at a time.
Gear:
Quote by x0rsist
ok i have the bridge flush, and all strings stretched. im playing a natural harmonic at the 12th and it is giving me exact readings at the needle does this mean my intonation is perfect? the guitar is perrfectly tuned i am using the digital tuner on my guitarport.

Pretty much, yes. To make absolutely sure the intonation is perfect, play some notes on the high frets of your guitar (on all strings) and chack if they are also in tune. By the way, what kind of guitar are you working on?
hmm the notes further up the fret borad do seem a little out of tune
the higheer , the more out of tune they go what doe sthat mean? Its a washburn x-40 with liscenced floyd rose tremolo.
Gear:
Your guitar is not inotated properly anymore. Take it in to the guitar shop, and have them take a look at it.
- FJ

If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

well i turned the truss rod a 1/10 clockwise and it seems to have helped a bit. i dont know about going any further with it though as i dont want a rodgered neck! ill pop into a shop on my way to school someday.
Gear:
^Sounds good dude. Yea, don't mess with it much more. Hope you get it fixed!
- FJ

thanks for all the help guys at least i cna play it even though th eintonation is a little off . you al know yer stuff!
Gear: