Page 1 of 2
I'm getting an Epi Les Paul Plain Top soon, and since everyone's told me they're very similar to Gibsons, I thought I could change the pickups to the Gibson Les Paul Classic ones (You know, 496R at the neck and 500T at the bridge). Is that a good idea or should I stick with the stock pickups instead (or better ones, reccommend)?

EDIT: Oh, I play Classic Rock/Blues/Metal mostly.
Look!

Learn how to spell, grammar is your friend

Member #11 of the Les Paul owners club, pm Waterboy799 to join.

Blues player of the Laney Cult
Epi doesn't sound half as good as Gibson and changing the pups woun't give you a Gibson tone.
CLICK ME!

Gibson Les Paul Classic '05
JEH Custom Superstrat '07
Rickenbacker 480 '73
Marshall 6100LM head '95
Engl E412SS 4*12" cab '02
Line6 DL-4 '07
Ibanez TS9 '08
Dunlop Crybaby from hell '07
Boss CE-2 '79
Quote by lil-matee
what is a solo?
Quote by Muppet
Epi doesn't sound half as good as Gibson and changing the pups woun't give you a Gibson tone.

I know it certainly won't. I just want it to sound as good as possible, and those seemed good pups, but I don't expect to get a Gibson tone
Look!

Quote by Garci
I know it certainly won't. I just want it to sound as good as possible, and those seemed good pups, but I don't expect to get a Gibson tone

Well, either way I can't recommend Gibson pups. They are quite muddy and you can't scoop the mids in a cool way. I'm changing mine soon.
CLICK ME!

Rickenbacker 480 '73
Marshall 6100LM head '95
Line6 DL-4 '07
Ibanez TS9 '08
Boss CE-2 '79
Quote by lil-matee
what is a solo?
yah agreed, try the burst buckers, they give a great sound, or get a tone pot that can split the pickup you have to give you a sharp sound
Gear:
since everyone was bitching, heres my favorites...
-1995 Jimmy Page Les paul (16th bday)
-1960 Gibson Les Paul reissue
-2003 Epiphone Les Paul Classic
-Hot Rodded 100 watt marshal (200 watts)
those gibbo pickups you mentioned are terrible. avoid them.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks a lot guys, it seems I was about to make a terrible mistake. I'll get the Burstbuckers (are these the ones you're talking about?), they are a bit more expensive but they look like they're worth it. Thanks again
Look!

Actually I'm not so sure burstbuckers are a good idea, they're bassy pickups and on a les paul which of course have mahogany bodies seems like the cause of the muddy neck pickups, my favorite gibson pickups are 57 classics and will do well for your first two choices, I also agree with Dave about those first two.
what type of tone are you after, and what's your budget? also, where are you in the world (affects prices)?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
what type of tone are you after, and what's your budget? also, where are you in the world (affects prices)?

I'm after a more bluesy, clean tone with the neck and a heavier, more for distortion tone in the bridge. Not really heavy distortion, but I want the both of the pickups to sound clear enough, not a blur of notes. I have about $650 ($399 are going for the Epi) and I live in Uruguay but I'm getting the pups in the States, I'm going there in a week.
Look!

You can never go wrong with EMGs.
Quote by tronsbasscool
This is my 5th account and I still havn't made any friends

My Rig
ESP Viper 1000
Crate RFX120

<//////>~
Quote by Garci
I'm after a more bluesy, clean tone with the neck and a heavier, more for distortion tone in the bridge. Not really heavy distortion, but I want the both of the pickups to sound clear enough, not a blur of notes. I have about $650 ($399 are going for the Epi) and I live in Uruguay but I'm getting the pups in the States, I'm going there in a week.

ok.

I guess look into an SD 59 or jazz for the neck, or maybe an alnico II pro or pearly gates if you're after a more vintage sound , bridge, I'm not too well up on their bridge models.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
ok.

I guess look into an SD 59 or jazz for the neck, or maybe an alnico II pro or pearly gates if you're after a more vintage sound , bridge, I'm not too well up on their bridge models.

Yeah a Jazz in the neck would be a good choice.
CLICK ME!

Rickenbacker 480 '73
Marshall 6100LM head '95
Line6 DL-4 '07
Ibanez TS9 '08
Boss CE-2 '79
Quote by lil-matee
what is a solo?
Quote by Muppet
Yeah a Jazz in the neck would be a good choice.

Okay, so a SD in the neck, got it (I've checked the SH-2N Jazz and it seems good). And I'm thinking of a EMG 81 for the bridge, do they sound good in a Mahogany body? They look like what I'm looking for, but I'm not sure.

EDIT: Also, are DiMarzios any good? A friend of mine speaks wonders of them, but I don't know much about them, and also, are they good in a mahogany body?
Look!

Last edited by Garci at Sep 5, 2006,
I'd go seymour duncan custom custom in the bridge and seymour duncan 59 in the neck!
Tunes, gear and other random stuff can be found in my "UG" profile if you click my name
Quote by Costanza
just save money and get a !REAL! LP
ya dumbass

Is a "real" LP a Gibson? Then you give me the money, asshat, because not everyone can just shoot money out of their asses. I have money for an Epi, and I want to improve it with what I have. If you can't help, then stay out of the thread.
Look!

If you get an 81 for the bridge, know that it's an active pickup, meaning it's charged by a 9volt battery. You'll have to find someplace in your guitar where you can put the 9volt.
Quote by tronsbasscool

My Rig
ESP Viper 1000
Crate RFX120

<//////>~
Quote by ibaRGnez321
If you get an 81 for the bridge, know that it's an active pickup, meaning it's charged by a 9volt battery. You'll have to find someplace in your guitar where you can put the 9volt.

Mmm, true, didn't think of that. Damn, that's why I don't like actives, I don't want to worry about the battery , so, any other good pickups for the bridge?
Look!

Have you considered Swinesheads?
http://www.swinesheadpickups.co.uk/

I just got a "Warthog" put into the neck position of my guitar and it sounds awesome compared to the stock pickup that was there.
For the Bridge there is always the Venom pickup - that one looks good.
A final plus for Swinesheads is that they are cheap but still handmade
Gear:
>ESP LTD FX-400SM
>LAG Jet JM100 with Swineshead Venom (bridge) and Warthog (neck) pickups
>EHX Bigg Muff Pi
>BOSS MT-2 Metal Zone
>Epiphone Valve Standard (Class A 15Watt)
Quote by Mirkin_321
Have you considered Swinesheads?
http://www.swinesheadpickups.co.uk/

I just got a "Warthog" put into the neck position of my guitar and it sounds awesome compared to the stock pickup that was there.
For the Bridge there is always the Venom pickup - that one looks good.
A final plus for Swinesheads is that they are cheap but still handmade

I've got the neck settled on the SD, I'm looking for a good bridge one. That Venom one looks good, I'll take it into account.
Look!

^ i second the swinesheads being good, I have a set. bareknuckles are good too, but probably over budget.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ i second the swinesheads being good, I have a set. bareknuckles are good too, but probably over budget.

I've been listening to the Venom over and over and the rhythm part seems too compressed, but the lead part is fine. My only worry is the rhythm, it's good but not exactly what I'm looking for. It's too dense. Something else for distortion?
Look!

Quote by Garci
Mmm, true, didn't think of that. Damn, that's why I don't like actives, I don't want to worry about the battery , so, any other good pickups for the bridge?

Yeah, I never wanted to buy them for my Ibanez, so I just bought the Hellraiser. (amongst other reasons) They're really nice pups though.
Quote by tronsbasscool

My Rig
ESP Viper 1000
Crate RFX120

<//////>~
Quote by Garci
I've been listening to the Venom over and over and the rhythm part seems too compressed, but the lead part is fine. My only worry is the rhythm, it's good but not exactly what I'm looking for. It's too dense. Something else for distortion?

It could just be an effect they are using (ie. a compression pedal).
I have a Venom on the way (they are modifying it a bit for me so that it will fit in my S520EX) so if you are in no hurry i should get it back sometime next week and i can do some sound recordings for you (i'll have a Warthog in the Neck and a Venom in the Bridge so i do some sound samples of all 3 positions if you like).
Gear:
>ESP LTD FX-400SM
>EHX Bigg Muff Pi
>BOSS MT-2 Metal Zone
Quote by Garci

warthog?

or even runaway?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Mirkin_321
It could just be an effect they are using (ie. a compression pedal).
I have a Venom on the way (they are modifying it a bit for me so that it will fit in my S520EX) so if you are in no hurry i should get it back sometime next week and i can do some sound recordings for you (i'll have a Warthog in the Neck and a Venom in the Bridge so i do some sound samples of all 3 positions if you like).

Actually I'm going there next saturday (not tomorrow) so, if you can record, I'd thank you a lot.

Quote by Dave_MC
warthog?

or even runaway?

What?
Look!

^ two more swineys that you might want to look into. the warthog is probably what you want, if you think the venom is a little too hot. the runaway is more for classic rock.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ two more swineys that you might want to look into. the warthog is probably what you want, if you think the venom is a little too hot. the runaway is more for classic rock.

The Runaway is awesome. Great distortion, very clear, great sounds. The solo on it sounded very nice, I imagined it more distorted and I went

The Warthog is precisely what I was looking for, the solo on it blew my mind because of the sound, and the rhythm part was great as well. Dammit, before I had no choices and now I have two but eitherway, I think I'll take the Warthog. The Runaway is more AC/DC, but the Warthog is more me.
Look!

Nice to see you've made a decision!
Keep in mind that the Swinesheads take a little while to build (i ordered online and it took just over a week for them to arrive) but it's worth the wait.
Gear:
>ESP LTD FX-400SM
>EHX Bigg Muff Pi
>BOSS MT-2 Metal Zone
Quote by Mirkin_321
Nice to see you've made a decision!
Keep in mind that the Swinesheads take a little while to build (i ordered online and it took just over a week for them to arrive) but it's worth the wait.

Damn! I live in Uruguay and I'm only in the states for a week, I can't buy them off a shop? Fuck. I don't know if I can rely on them bringing them, is there any place that sells them?
Look!

^ nah, you have to order them, they're all built to order- but I don't see why jon bell (mr swineshead) couldn't just post them to your house in uruguay... he posts worldwide, as far as I know...

unless there's some reason why that wouldn't work...

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Dave_Mc, I think I love you. They only charge like £3 for international, I'm so happy. I'm definitely getting a Warthog bridge, nickel covered. That's about $75 US, right (£55)?

So the pickups would be a Seymour Duncan SH-2N Jazz Model in the neck (covered with the Epi cover) and a Swineshead Warthog in the bridge. Thanks to everyone in this thread who helped me decide this. If anyone has something yet to add, he may. I'm so happy
Look!

^ the SH condor owns the jazz. i'd assume the runaway does too, but I haven't tried it.

what i mean is, get one of them in the neck instead of the SD jazz. Swineshead used to (do they still?) offer free postage on orders over £60 too...

and if you want to save quite a bit of cash, just get them uncovered...

EDIT: if you want to cover the jazz with the epi cover, you have to wax pot it on too... it'll be (probably) microphonic if you don't...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ I didnt get free postage when I ordered my 3, which were £125, but the postage is dirt cheap anyway so I didnt really care
Ibanez S470 (Condor/Pyro/Warthog)
Rockafeller Custom
Laney Lionheart L20H
Framus FR212CB
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss DS-1 (Monte Allum Mod)
Boss DD-6
Electro-Harmonix Small Clone
Dunlop/MXR Phase 90 (Full Script mod)
Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2+
^ i know, I didn't either. before I ordered mine, they had free postage, they did away with it, then I think I saw it advertised on the site recently again- it could have been removed again, though.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Dave Mc my Warthog neck isn't wax potted as far as i know (there is certainly no wax on the back but could it be inside the back cover?), and it's nickel covered - does that matter?

Also, Garci, remember to get a trem-spaced one if u have a tremelo on ur guitar (don't think they do covered trem ones )

EDIT - Just read the Swineshead FAQ and all of their pickups are potted so no worries for either of us
Gear:
>ESP LTD FX-400SM
>EHX Bigg Muff Pi
>BOSS MT-2 Metal Zone
Last edited by Mirkin_321 at Sep 10, 2006,
Page 1 of 2