It seems as though I have fallen in love with it. I tried one out at a mom n' pop joint just a couple of hours ago and I have to say, I really did like it. I guess the first one I tried out just had a busted tube or something, because this one sounded great, even though it was playing through a Peavey XXL Supreme cab and couldn't get the exact tone I wanted. But I'm in need of some advice.
1) I really like it, but it lacks the versatility I'll need outside my band and outside hardcore. The band I play in is a post-hardcore/alternative band and I believe it'll be able to handle that since the rhythm player used a Genz-Benz El Diablo 120. I was thinking maybe purchasing a JCM900 at a later date for my cleans and lower gain channels. Good idea?
2) What kind of cab should I run this through? I've heard the Peavey cabs are very meh and I've heard mixed reviews on the 1960 cabs. I myself was gearing towards a Basson oversized cab with Eminence Legends and later switching them out for V30's and G12H30's. Yes or no? Will V30's and G12H30's go well with a 5150? I'll welcome any other cab reccomendations.
3) Does the 5150 handle effects well? Effects are a huge thing for me, since I'm planning on buying tons in the near future. Should I throw them all in the loop? I tried an aged (and possibly not quite in order) Small Stone phaser in front of the amp and it didn't sound very good, so I figured it might be needed to be put in the FX loop.
4) Should I change out the tubes or do any work on the amp after I get it? I've heard they're biased very cold, so should I take it to a store to get it re-biased?
2005 Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Marshall JCM900 MKIII Master Volume head
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
Ibanez TS-7 (being modded soon!)
bump?
2005 Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Marshall JCM900 MKIII Master Volume head
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
Ibanez TS-7 (being modded soon!)
If you are going to buy the JCM anyway, maybe just get the 900 and an OD and see how that sounds for you.
V-30s are the speaker to use with a 5150. I have a mesa cab with mine and it is heaven. Low end thump for days. The 5150's loop is kinda weak for effects, but i have a keeley od9 which i have in front to tighten up the gain a little (or for solo boosts) and it sounds incredible. It almost sounds like multi track recordings if you know what I mean. I also have JJ tubes and that makes a huge change.
1) I think you'd be ok with a 5150 for the tone you're looking for. It'll take a while to get it dialed in just right, but the sound you're looking in there is fine. If you;re intending to get a MArshall for cleans later on, then you'll be set for clean tones as well. And BTW, there's no such thing as a 120 W El Diablo. They come in 60 and 100 W versions only.

2) The 5150 sounds best with either the 5150 cab, or a good cab loaded with V30s. I've heard them running through various cabs, including standard Marshalls loaded with G12T-75s and none can really do the head justice. I've heard it thru a Marshall 1960 with V30s and that sounded badass. The 2 best cabs I've heard it with are the 5150 cab, and the Mesa Recto cab.

3) It's got an effects loop. That generally the best place to put modulation effects like a phaser. Generally, and modulation or time-based effect will work best in the loop.

4) If it's a used amp, it's hard to tell how old the tubes are unless the shop can tell you. As long as the amp sounds good though, I wouldn't be too concerned with the tubes. At worse, you can retube the amp yourself. And the bias is fixed on the 5150. Unless you get it specifically modded, you can't adjust the bias at all. That's makes it easy to replace tubes. Just get good quality tubes when you do replace them, and you'll be fine.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
Last edited by Crunchmeister at Sep 5, 2006,