I will have been playing bass two years this December, so I'm somewhat avg. My friends say I should play guitar for a while before getting a 8 or 12 string bass. I'm just curious what I should do to prepare myself for the change. The reason I want a bass with +4 strings is the band I'm in does complicated stuff, and it would help with the composing. The basses I'm looking at are: Schecter Stiletto Studio-8 Bass and the Dean Rhapsody 12 12-String Bass.
if you really have the money, and really need the extra strings to help, then go right ahead. it is, however, a huge investment, and they weigh ALOT more than your typical 4
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Arent 12 string basses primarily tapping instruments... I certainly couldnt fit my hand around it even with my freakishly long fingers
Co-Founder of The Geddy Lee Fanclub
PM me or timmEH to join

#1 Rush / Yes fan of The Bass Militia
PM Dinky to join

Founder of The Ernie Ball MusicMan owners club and proud owner of a Black Sapphire Bongo 4 HHp
PM me to join
oh...
Co-Founder of The Geddy Lee Fanclub
PM me or timmEH to join

#1 Rush / Yes fan of The Bass Militia
PM Dinky to join

Founder of The Ernie Ball MusicMan owners club and proud owner of a Black Sapphire Bongo 4 HHp
PM me to join
Stick with a four string. It's the same as using a 12-string guitar. I.E. It's heavy, cumbersome, and not that useful unless you're the second coming of Jimmy Page.
Thanks for the input, I think I might go for the 8 string, thou I am going to play on it before I buy, to make sure I am comfrontable with it.
The 8/12 strings are VERY useful if you're in a single gutiar band, because you can use them to mimic a rhythm gutiar, very good for when you have a lead player who goes off on solos lots.

The added weight is only in the tuners, which might make it neck heavy, but a nice thick strap will fix that.

You've got some good choices for an 8, just make sure you try it out, and remember, you can play just the root strings, so you're not always stuck in that 8/12 string mode.
haha
I saw one of these basses that you speak of recently in london and as interesting and "cool" as they LOOKED! I think that if you were to perform you would look and possibly sound like a GIT sorry
Oh, lol. I want a +4 string that doesnt make me look like a RAWR BLACK METAL EAT CHRISTIANS RAWR BURZUM!
u only eat mormons? I really should upgrade from eating the hamish....

anyways, if you feel that an 8 or 12 is right for you, go for it. I really want one, ever since I found out that Pearl Jam's "I Am Mine" is done on an 8 string bass... and they aren't that much heavier... I tried out the ESP 8 string (I forget the model) and it was fine.
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
The 8/12 strings are VERY useful if you're in a single gutiar band, because you can use them to mimic a rhythm gutiar, very good for when you have a lead player who goes off on solos lots.

The added weight is only in the tuners, which might make it neck heavy, but a nice thick strap will fix that.

You've got some good choices for an 8, just make sure you try it out, and remember, you can play just the root strings, so you're not always stuck in that 8/12 string mode.

MetalUpTheAss has pretty much nailed the reason why you would really NEED an 8/12 stringer. Honestly this and doing strumming basslines a la Pearl Jam's "Jeremy" are pretty much the only reasons why I would plunk down the cash for a double or triple stringer.

However like you said just try them out, and tell us what you thought of them!
Once you get to the top, the only way to go is down.
If you want the extra strings, why not get 6 string bass. Added bass and treble, means you can do more complex runs etc since 8 and 12 string would only be adding depth to your sound, not allowing more "complicated" stuff to be written.