I've been looking around at new guitars for a while. I play mostly rock, so I want a heavier sound, but I want something versatile too. I went to a local store I always go to and after tryin out a few ones I found a Dean Hard Tail I liked. Two humbuckers, two tone, two volume, two coil taps, great sound, I loved it. Then I went to a huuuuge store they just put in at the mall and found an entire new world of guitars! Gibson, Epiphone, Ibanez, and other brands I'd never tried before. I played on an Epiphone Les Paul and liked the sound, but I wasn't sure if I liked the guitar better than the Hard Tail.

Anyway, as you read in the title of this post, I have no clue what to do. I don't know what kind of guitar I want, where I should get it, or what features I want it to have. I hope this forum doesn't get too many posts like this, but I'm sure it does... In short, help!

My price range is up to $700. I'll be playing through a Peavey 50 watt all tube amp. I like coil taps for versatility, and don't really want a Fender. For mostly rock playing, what the hell guitar should I buy!??
Avoid gibsons at that price, a lowend gibby, which ends at around 900 USD, is ****ty. A highend Epi is much better. I would try a **** lodad of every kind in your price range, and pick the one you like.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
Get a schecter in that price range. Epiphone's are okay, but it's like the squier. They're just ****tier versions of good guitars. And they have a habit of breaking in some way/having problems quickly.

I've always liked Schecters when looking at that price though. ::Shrug:: May be just me.
Quote by Oneordinarylife
Get a schecter in that price range. Epiphone's are okay, but it's like the squier. They're just ****tier versions of good guitars. And they have a habit of breaking in some way/having problems quickly.

I've always liked Schecters when looking at that price though. ::Shrug:: May be just me.

Not if you get a highend one. Squires dont really have a highend, but Epis do and for the proce there really bitchin' guitars.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
Quote by zekk
Not if you get a highend one. Squires dont really have a highend, but Epis do and for the proce there really bitchin' guitars.

The thing is, high-end Epiphones cost almost as much as a Gibson on Musician's Friend does. That's why I just waited and bought a Gibson SG instead of an Epiphone. The Epiphone SG was rated really badly and tons of people said they wished they had waited. Just my opinion.

Also, in case you didn't know (original poster), use musiciansfriend.com and you'll save a lot. It brings most 999 dollar guitars down around 700 or so.
Quote by Oneordinarylife
The thing is, high-end Epiphones cost almost as much as a Gibson on Musician's Friend does. That's why I just waited and bought a Gibson SG instead of an Epiphone. The Epiphone SG was rated really badly and tons of people said they wished they had waited. Just my opinion.

Also, in case you didn't know (original poster), use musiciansfriend.com and you'll save a lot. It brings most 999 dollar guitars down around 700 or so.

Souds Like a Virgin.....
i think you should go with that Dean hardtail rather then the Epiphone LP. Unless the LP has coil splitting (it doesnt) then the Dean will be more versatile. Plus Deans are really good quality.