I've been playing about 3 and a half years, and started with a stunted punk and greenday style and have now progressed to powermetal. I'm trying to improve my speed for shread/solos but nothings doing. I've watched various lessons and read advice and spend hours a day learning new songs to test me, training by ear, playing scales and random speed patterns, and using a metronome but I dont seem to be getting any better. I always fall out of step with a metronome and go faster without it, but I seem to be limited as to my speed and accuracy and I dont know what it is. What would be the best way to see and measure results and make the best use of my practicing time to get better.
Thanks.
Originally posted by Meths
You need serious amounts of therapy.

Quote by jagstang270
One should not try to masturbate while Dragoneforce is in the background
you just can't keep up.

Quote by waylay00
DragonForce? Sounds like some early 90's children's cartoon or action hero lineup.
Use a metronome, learn scales, get a teacher if you need someone to help harness the power to focus.
haha
Which specific scales should I be going for?

Quote by jagstang270
you just can't keep up.

Quote by waylay00
DragonForce? Sounds like some early 90's children's cartoon or action hero lineup.
you could try some chromatic scales, and don't go so fast u come out of time with the metranome, just play the fastest you can without making any mistakes.
What is a chromatic scale? I only know my standards and pentatonics.

Quote by jagstang270
you just can't keep up.

Quote by waylay00
Thanks that's pretty cool. I think my main problem is changing strings at speed, or anything where I need to use 4 fingers cause my little finger is buggered.

Quote by jagstang270
you just can't keep up.

Quote by waylay00