Here's the deal....

I love my Epiphone SG, it's a great guitar. But my Strat is just so much nicer to play. What really makes all the difference is the bridge system - Fenders have tremelo bars and easily adjustable action.

So I was wondering, would it actually be possible to install a Floyd Rose or even a standard Fender tremelo bridge into an SG?

I'm not so much talking about my current guitar, more about building one from scratch...

Cheers
This was asked in the Guitar World Q&A section and I guess the FR trem. is too thick/deep for the SG's thin body, but a Bigsby would work...since some SG's come with them.
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
Do not route the SG for a Floyd Rose. I was going to do it to my Gibson, but my Luthier told me not to because Gibson Necks cant hold up against an SG. He said the best thing to get would be a Lyre Vibrola Tailpiece and Bridge.

EDIT: if a Gibson neck cant hold up to it, an Epiphone sure as hell wont.

EDIT 2: O not your Epiphone. Well I would still get a Lyre. If you want a Floyd Rose, you have to get like a Fender body style. It would hold up better,
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie
i feel like you have an obsession with aubrey plaza.

Quote by WCPhils
at least we can all agree SGstriker is the woooooooooooooooooooooorst
Quote by WokCreations
Here's the deal....

I love my Epiphone SG, it's a great guitar. But my Strat is just so much nicer to play. What really makes all the difference is the bridge system - Fenders have tremelo bars and easily adjustable action.

So I was wondering, would it actually be possible to install a Floyd Rose or even a standard Fender tremelo bridge into an SG?

I'm not so much talking about my current guitar, more about building one from scratch...

Cheers

Its really easy to adjust the action on a TOM bridge though Just turn the screws either side of the bridge...
If you like the strat style bridge why not get a hardtail (non-tremolo) version. Just screw the 4 screws in, drill through the body and you're good to go. Strat feel, no routing.
there's an SG in the warmoth gallery that looks (to me) to be to the exact specs of a strat. S/S/S with your stupid whammy Check it out. Warmoth is pretty amazing if you've got the scratch.

That one there?

Yeah, that's about what I'm after....

Thanks for the advice, Stretsbar looks pretty decent for now
kahler makes a bridge (locking) that flatmounts, meaning it goes on any guitar with like tailpiece/stopbar type bridge without any routing or drilling. do some research
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
Surely it's easier to adjust the action on a t-o-m? I'm always in two minds about SG-strat hybrids. On balance I don't think a trem suits an SG apart from a nice Bigsby maybe, and humbuckers are better for an SG than singles (unless we're talking a single bridge P90 dogear). In the same way I can't imagine an HH strat with a t-o-m. It's just not right.
Quote by SGstriker
Do not route the SG for a Floyd Rose. I was going to do it to my Gibson, but my Luthier told me not to because Gibson Necks cant hold up against an SG. He said the best thing to get would be a Lyre Vibrola Tailpiece and Bridge.

EDIT: if a Gibson neck cant hold up to it, an Epiphone sure as hell wont.

EDIT 2: O not your Epiphone. Well I would still get a Lyre. If you want a Floyd Rose, you have to get like a Fender body style. It would hold up better,

that's ridiculous, it has nothing to do with the neck

http://www.gibsoncustom.com/flash/products/signature/schon/NealSchon.html

but anyway, the sg would be great with a bigsby or vibrola
do i sense a build?

anyway, all the above suggestions like kahler, bigsby, etc. willwork, but if you do install a kahler, you need a roller nut.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Dude, take a look at the Gibson SG Angus Young Signature Series (that dude from AC/DC). He has a sweet tremolo unit on his guitar, it would be awesome if you could put something like that on yours.
Guitars:
- Ibanez GRX40
- Ibanez RG1570 MRR
- Eddy (Plywood Stratocaster Copy)
- Dean V Metalman
Amps:
- Marshall MG15 DFX with custom speaker
- Vox AD30VT
Gear:
- Boss DS-1 (Keeley modded)
- Vox V848 Wah
- Digitech RP80
[to the guy above me]

You deserve to be slapped in the face!

*slaps*

You remember him now? He's the guitar dude from AC/DC!
Guitars:
- Ibanez GRX40
- Ibanez RG1570 MRR
- Eddy (Plywood Stratocaster Copy)
- Dean V Metalman
Amps:
- Marshall MG15 DFX with custom speaker
- Vox AD30VT
Gear:
- Boss DS-1 (Keeley modded)
- Vox V848 Wah
- Digitech RP80
This guy is either a lying troll, or an idiot. Its a very famous hard rock band.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
Quote by Gymmeh
Who's Angus Young?

Never heard of him!

thats a sig quote right there!!!
Quote by Joey Walker
Quote by anaoshak
look at all those knobs, he must have a mean tone.

Bottle caps buddy, they are bottle caps

Quote by Shib
The internet: Men are men, women are men and little girls are FBI agents.
aren't kahlers kinda a bigbsy but smaller and better
at least thats what I get outta it
so a kahler trem would work
Quote by Stop Messin'
Every pic of Jimmy Page taken looking up at him. He looks like a 10 foot tall GOD!
Quote by forsaknazrael
That SG was built thicker than normal to allow FR routing.

its not a floyd rose though so you dont need to route it depper
you cant spell manslaughter without laughter

Quote by ACG
I like my women how I like my cookies. Smothered in diarrhea.