I'd like to think I play at an above mediocre level on the guitar, but I've never been very good at doing fast palm muting riffs, only in short burst. Any suggestions on how to get better?
I'm the dream unicorn! The young machetes guide my path through forests of burning orange trees, but protect me from the cloud eating coconut eyed monsters that live in the bushes.
practice?

palm mute at a fast pace for an entire day.
or just masturbate a lot. i figured out it works as well.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
^Can't forget the mustard either. Lot's and lot's of mustard...
- FJ

Quote by Landover Baptist Church
If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

^ i prefer mayo, but hey we floats your boat
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
What if like me you masturbate with your left yet strum with your right?
"Let the Good Times Cumm......." *Sways*

Then learn to masturbate with your rihgt, I'm doing the opposite now because I need my dick to be straightened from 4 years of right handed masturbation.
Quote by Molon_uk
What if like me you masturbate with your left yet strum with your right?

Then you aren't human. No human masterbates with their left hand. It goes against all the laws of physics. And I know, I'm in physics.
- FJ

If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

Quote by flyingjew34
Then you aren't human. No human masterbates with their left hand. It goes against all the laws of physics. And I know, I'm in physics.

Bah! Physics don't mean shit, I'll continue to fuck myself with my left even if that brands me as inhuman.
Simple. Most people can't palm mute because they just can't pick in that position. Just sit there and pick at the strings while palm muting, and find the way you're comfortable. Just keep doing it and then you will be able to palm mute as long as you would using normal picking.
Journalism is just a gun. It's only got one bullet in it, but if you aim right, that's all you need. Aim it right, and you can blow a kneecap off the world.
^ Wow, somebody really needs a girlfriend.

Get Master of Puppets down, for the palm muting. It improved my downpicking immensely.
I actually choose not to have one.....I've been in pretty rough relationships over the past 2 years and I dont want to through another disaster again, there is this spanish chick though...she's kinda stalking me.....
Quote by mikeman
^ Wow, somebody really needs a girlfriend.

Get Master of Puppets down, for the palm muting. It improved my downpicking immensely.

Aye, true. But I'd still jerk off alot.
Wow, this thread turned really sexual, but I guess that happens to a lot of things I do. I'll be sure to practice master of puppets and masterbate with my right hand every day, not like I needed much encouragement.
I'm the dream unicorn! The young machetes guide my path through forests of burning orange trees, but protect me from the cloud eating coconut eyed monsters that live in the bushes.
Yeah, personally I thrive on palm-muted 16th notes, usually of tempos of around 180 or higher, I just love that stuff. Practice is the only way to really get better at it, though I will try to throw out some tips. Start off slowly until you can get your up-strokes to sound virtually the same as your down strokes, because a lot of times people have trouble up-stroking while palm-muting, just takes time. Personally I'd recommmend doing it starting off by trying to do a controlled speed tremolo pick, but WITH A METRONOME, cause if you can't control your speed you havent got much. Start off with a relatively slow tempo, around 100bpm or so, and do this: 1 whole note, 2 half notes, 4 quarter notes, 8 eigth notes, and 16 sixteenth notes... not only will this help your palm muting, but it will also help you build a strong sense of rhythm, if you haven't already done that.

Keep doing this and increase the tempo gradually, never forcing yourself to play something faster than you can which would cause you to lose cleanliness, always make sure each note sounds fully. As you progress on, your muscles will build, and you will be able to play more "deliberatley" rather than the controlled tremolo pick; from there just keep practicing and start mixing in poly-rhythms, chords, double stops, and other cool stuff to make sweet thrash riffs. You may need to mess around with your EQ and stuff some to get the sound you want, but "bad equipment" is never an excuse to not be able to do this because 95% of how good it sounds is in your tecnique.

Anyway, this is how I learned, and now I can "deliberatley" pick 16th notes at tempos of around 200bpm without too much difficulty. Good luck.
Metallica-Disposable Heroes.
Trivium- Light Light To The Flies
Pantera-Shattered
Quote by Superpartydude5
Yeah, personally I thrive on palm-muted 16th notes, usually of tempos of around 180 or higher, I just love that stuff. Practice is the only way to really get better at it, though I will try to throw out some tips. Start off slowly until you can get your up-strokes to sound virtually the same as your down strokes, because a lot of times people have trouble up-stroking while palm-muting, just takes time. Personally I'd recommmend doing it starting off by trying to do a controlled speed tremolo pick, but WITH A METRONOME, cause if you can't control your speed you havent got much. Start off with a relatively slow tempo, around 100bpm or so, and do this: 1 whole note, 2 half notes, 4 quarter notes, 8 eigth notes, and 16 sixteenth notes... not only will this help your palm muting, but it will also help you build a strong sense of rhythm, if you haven't already done that.

Keep doing this and increase the tempo gradually, never forcing yourself to play something faster than you can which would cause you to lose cleanliness, always make sure each note sounds fully. As you progress on, your muscles will build, and you will be able to play more "deliberatley" rather than the controlled tremolo pick; from there just keep practicing and start mixing in poly-rhythms, chords, double stops, and other cool stuff to make sweet thrash riffs. You may need to mess around with your EQ and stuff some to get the sound you want, but "bad equipment" is never an excuse to not be able to do this because 95% of how good it sounds is in your tecnique.

Anyway, this is how I learned, and now I can "deliberatley" pick 16th notes at tempos of around 200bpm without too much difficulty. Good luck.

Wait, are we talking all down-picked? Or alternate-picked? For some reason, I thought the thread was about down-picking... Yah for dyslexia!

Quote by Eric 666
Masturbation > Metronome.

Person with down syndrome's brain > your brain...
- FJ

Play Rhapsody.

Most of Lucca's riffs are just palm-muted chug alongs. These make good practice.
Quote by flyingjew34
Wait, are we talking all down-picked? Or alternate-picked? For some reason, I thought the thread was about down-picking... Yah for dyslexia!

Person with down syndrome's brain > your brain...

Dude...I'm obviously kidding.....geez have you no sense of humor? Goddamn...you white boyz need to go to da club...shake that **** motha****a!!! lol.
I'm pretty sure he wants to just get good at doing fast palm-muting, and you can't only do down picking on a lot of fast riffs.
Masturbate Masturbate Masturbate Masturbate Master of Puppets Masturbate Masturbate Masturbate Masturbate Masturbate Masturbate Masturbate Masturbate Masturbate Masturbate Masturbate Masturbate Master Master ......ITS THIS DREAM YOUR AFTER !
[img]http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/9672/stevevaisigver24vf.jpg[/img]
Just an influence.
Quote by flyingjew34

What if your left handed and you play the guitar right?
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
One thing that you must never ever do when doing fast downpicking is to tense up, never ever tense up unless you want to die.

And yes, masurbation DOES help.
Quote by Eric 666
"Let the Good Times Cumm......." *Sways*

Then learn to masturbate with your rihgt, I'm doing the opposite now because I need my dick to be straightened from 4 years of right handed masturbation.

Is that true?