Poll: Worth the time/effort?
Poll Options
View poll results: Worth the time/effort?
Yes
30 64%
No
17 36%
Voters: 47.
Page 1 of 3
well i've been thinking and i REALLY want a SG, but i have a couple problems

1. i hate gibson

2. epiphone sucks

3. theres no elitist sg's

so i have to get a copy, but i have no money, yet the SG is my favorite guitar. so do you think its worth the time of saving? im looking for a 600-750 dollar (USD) guitar. no used. no ebay. yes ive played one... sitting and standing... and i like the sound weight, and i dont mind the balance. thanks guys

oh yeah and what SG copy do you recommend (NOT a Valkaryie, i want a true SG shape, or a Viper)
Last edited by Arlabester at Sep 3, 2006,
i love sgs, i was at leeds and i the guy from mcr use an epiphone g -400 deluxe, being an mcr fan look into them, hope it was some help.
Quote by Strongbow
i love sgs, i was at leeds and i the guy from mcr use an epiphone g -400 deluxe, being an mcr fan look into them, hope it was some help.

epiphone g-400 deluxe
well, if you don't like gibson and you dont like the quality of epiphones, heres an alternative:

BUILD YOUR OWN SG!

omg i can see it now, you can customize the scale length, how many frets, the weight of the guitar, everything man!

if you dont like sg's from the 2 top brands that make them, make your own man. it may take awhile but you can take bits and pieces from gibson, epiphone and make it into your own piece of artwork.
Quote by Mad Marius
Because there's no point in being on the Internet of you're not gonna act like an arrogant prick.
Gibson, not Epiphone suck they are great and yes there is an Elitest SG, but I think they discontinued it. Try out the Epiphone G-400 Custom, a very nice guitar indeed.
Guitars
Agile 3100 CSB
ESP MH400 w/ Trem-Setter
Epi G-310
Applause Acoustic

Amps
1968 Fender Vibrochamp - Great amp, only $100 fixxer-upper
Line 6 Spider II

REMEMBER, ALL TONE IS SUBJECTIVE!
If you played one and liked it then why not get that? Why do you hate Gibson? Why do you think Epiphones suck? I believe you already know the answer to your question, you just have to look deep inside your soul.
Going to Columbia University this fall! Woohoo!
Member of UGPSA: Ultimate-Guitar's Potsmokers Association
um wow...just wow...

first of all gibson does not suck a little over priced but there is some quality in it

now epiphone (gibsons cousin) is an amazing guitar company that does put out some quality products, you might want to check some of the 500- 600 dollar epiphone sgs on this site
www.musiciansfriend.com

and there is nothing wrong with used guitars but you do have to be careful with them

next time you post a thread try not to sound like a prick, kthanxbye
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
Theres this new line of guitars called "Asshole". They are made for people who think they're too good to play anything else. You should check them out. It should be in between the "Dickhead Deluxe" and the Yngwie Malmsteen sig Strat
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
People don't like Dave Mustaine because he created something that owned Metallica in just about every single aspect of thrash metal.

it's true
Quote by Stop Messin'
Theres this new line of guitars called "Asshole". They are made for people who think they're too good to play anything else. You should check them out. It should be in between the "Dickhead Deluxe" and the Yngwie Malmsteen sig Strat

who was that aimed at? and i never said gibson sux, i just hate them. theyre assholes. i might build one. but thats expensive. thats the problem. maybe i'll try out a g-400 deluxe. but i want answers about the copies
i think he meant by general epiphone sucks that he counted out the up market ones like the custom and the deluxe.
Quote by guitarshark2099
well, if you don't like gibson and you dont like the quality of epiphones, heres an alternative:

BUILD YOUR OWN SG!

omg i can see it now, you can customize the scale length, how many frets, the weight of the guitar, everything man!

if you dont like sg's from the 2 top brands that make them, make your own man. it may take awhile but you can take bits and pieces from gibson, epiphone and make it into your own piece of artwork.

i dont wanna route out the body or build the neck. would warmoth be a good idea? again i want answers about the copies
Quote by Arlabester
who was that aimed at? and i never said gibson sux, i just hate them. theyre assholes. i might build one. but thats expensive. thats the problem. maybe i'll try out a g-400 deluxe. but i want answers about the copies

that was aimed at you, you said you want an sg but then you say you hate gibson and epiphone suck ... but like i said epiphone has quality stuff once you get to the 500$ and above range
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
ok so you people say the deluxe is good? really? this'll be it, this will be when my band plays like, at gigs. are you sure it'll work? again COPIES!?
yeah id go for the deluxe too, if i was going to get an sg copy id go for an upmarket epiphone or an gibson SG special but im not sure how much they are in dollars. Glad i could help
Quote by Strongbow
yeah id go for the deluxe too, if i was going to get an sg copy id go for an upmarket epiphone or an gibson SG special but im not sure how much they are in dollars. Glad i could help

well yes you did help, but i mean copies copies epiphone=not copies. i will look into the deluxe
Ah right well i always classed epiphone as gibson copies, try tokai or like you said a viper, even thought its not a copy really
Get a Viper if you don't like Gibson/Epiphone.
- FJ

Quote by Landover Baptist Church
If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

Quote by flyingjew34
Get a Viper if you don't like Gibson/Epiphone.

are the necks big? cause i dont generally like 24 frets. plz plz tell me about some copies
Uh, the neck is just longer. It's not fatter or thicker than a standard neck if that's what you mean.
- FJ

If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

Quote by flyingjew34
Uh, the neck is just longer. It's not fatter or thicker than a standard neck if that's what you mean.

i mean longer. like really long. i plated on a 24 XL and it was big (long) i just wanna know if its long or not (really long)

oh yah an i dont want active pick-ups
Hahahaha
How foolish? you are falling under the "Gibson are conformists, must hate them to be cool" and the "Epiphone arent gibson, must hate them to be cool" thing, i can see why you'd hate squier but epiphone are good, get an epiphone SG but for MCR i suggest an air guitar or something lower end

But seriously, an LTD viper or something
Quote by Arlabester
i mean longer. like really long. i plated on a 24 XL and it was big (long) i just wanna know if its long or not (really long)

oh yah an i dont want active pick-ups

It's about 2 frets longer... I don't know, about .75" longer probably.

And why don't you want active pickups?
- FJ

Quote by Punk_Ninja
Hahahaha
How foolish? you are falling under the "Gibson are conformists, must hate them to be cool" and the "Epiphone arent gibson, must hate them to be cool" thing, i can see why you'd hate squier but epiphone are good, get an epiphone SG but for MCR i suggest an air guitar or something lower end

But seriously, an LTD viper or something

no, im not. i just hate gibson. greedy assholes. a shame an SG falls under their catagory nice spamming, get off my back you fall under the "Must be mean, then repeat something someone said to be cool" catagory

i dont want actives cos of the batteries, i just dont want to deal with it

^ it be an easy answer if i could find a US distrbutor
Quote by 4string-tsurigi

ROFLCOPTER I HAVE A N AXS32!!! AND ITS NOTHING LIKE AN SG! but yeah, at first i thought it was a sg copy, but its not
Quote by 4string-tsurigi
you don't have to laugh at me...

lol thank you for trying anyway, funny, Ibanez just stopped making their SG line, sux for me
I didnt see anyone post the same thing i did before me and i'm just posting that not to be cool but to get it into your mcr loving head that Epiphones dont suck and gibsons arent greedy, they're just popular enough to have a lot of money and well built enough to charge a lot of money

Get an epiphone SG get a Gibson if you can afford it, they are good, now go and 'non-conform' with the other 50000 people who wear the same clothes you do and listen to the saem music you do
Quote by Arlabester
lol thank you for trying anyway, funny, Ibanez just stopped making their SG line, sux for me

WHATÉ!É!É!

damn french mode
Quote by Punk_Ninja
I didnt see anyone post the same thing i did before me and i'm just posting that not to be cool but to get it into your mcr loving head that Epiphones dont suck and gibsons arent greedy, they're just popular enough to have a lot of money and well built enough to charge a lot of money

Get an epiphone SG get a Gibson if you can afford it, they are good, now go and 'non-conform' with the other 50000 people who wear the same clothes you do and listen to the saem music you do

im not a ****ing emo i just happen to like MCR

^ ROFL!
Yeah and you know what catagory MCR fall under?

And sticking to the topic at hand, get a Ginson, an epiphone or an ESP/LTD, if you thinkthe other 2 suck then get the ESP/LTD simple, try around
Quote by Punk_Ninja
Yeah and you know what catagory MCR fall under?

And sticking to the topic at hand, get a Ginson, an epiphone or an ESP/LTD, if you thinkthe other 2 suck then get the ESP/LTD simple, try around

pop-punk?
u could try a jay turser sg copy
My guitar build

My gear:
Blackheart Little Giant Combo
Epiphone Les Paul with Rio Grande TX/BBQ pickup set
Little Big Muff
Blues Driver
Page 1 of 3