I've really been into the X-ray Spex lately and I just wanted to know what everyone else thought of them. I think that Poly Styrene is amazing and very distinctive. I really like the lyrics and instuments...I like hearing the saxophone in some of these songs too.
I like a song here and there. Poly Styrene does have an amazing voice.
Was always one of my favorites, but I'll agree that only a few songs really stand out.
He who acts, conquers.Nashvillepunk.org

I'm old, I'm tired, and I have acid reflux. So don't mess with me.
I suggest people who have not heard X-Ray Spex to hear some sort of demo or download because they are amazing...then post in this thread and say what you think...listen to Oh Bondage Up Yours! because that is an amazing punk song and it is probably one of the more known ones.

I've been listening to them since I was about 13, so I think that 26 yrs of listening to them has been enough to determine what I think about them.
He who acts, conquers.Nashvillepunk.org

I'm old, I'm tired, and I have acid reflux. So don't mess with me.
Meh.
"This shit here's called Death"
"What the fuck? You mean I'm gonna hit this shit and die?"
"No Nigga! I said Deaf. You hit this and you aint gonna hear shit!"
Should we kick the old geezers off of the boards?

Nah.

Bad joke. Oh bondage blah blah is a good song...

so is there other stuff, but oh bondage the only one that stands out in my head at present.
"Genetic Engineering" is me fave.
Great song with great lyrics.

"I Live Off You" is good song with great lyrics.
Unfortunately, it's where the Exploited got their name from.
Quote by sargasm
I don't like straight edge because it's part of Hardcore, and I don't like Hardcore because, aside from the terrible music, the kids are often very homophobic.

You forgot ugly, lazy and disrespectful.
Quote by johnnynemo
"Genetic Engineering" is me fave.
Great song with great lyrics.

"I Live Off You" is good song with great lyrics.
Unfortunately, it's where the Exploited got their name from.

The Exploited aren't as bad as you say.

The fact is according to someone I know who got friendlyish with Watty is that he's so uneducated that he doesn't know how not to be racist. i.e He's an absolute idiot with an IQ less than zero.
I've met Wattie and he is dumber than a bag of hammers.

He tried to get a friend of mine to beat up a black guy.
He got an ex-girlfriend of mine drunk and then got her to take her top off, when she was 16.
He dated a girl I know and according to her, he regularly has sex with underage girls.
According to Oi Polloi, he drives an expensive sportscar and has a posh London flat.

If all that's not bad enough, The Exploited, which used to play sub-moronic "punk", now pl*ys ****ty sub-moronic metal.
Quote by sargasm
I don't like straight edge because it's part of Hardcore, and I don't like Hardcore because, aside from the terrible music, the kids are often very homophobic.

Aye I know, but they weren't a bad punk band, it's just Wattie's an idiot. Oh and which 16 year old girl gets drunk just because someone tells her to?

I explained he's just a complete bonehead which is why he's racist. I hate the guy too though, don't get me wrong. I'm just saying there were worse punk bands than them.
There are definitely worse punk bands, but the Exploited are the poster children for all the stupid things that these idiotic chaos/street punk bands are into.

And the question is....what 16 year old punk girl didn't want to get free beer from a band that she likes?
Answer: one who didn't realize that the lead singer and manager of the band were gonna try and sleep with her.
Quote by sargasm

Quote by johnnynemo
There are definitely worse punk bands, but the Exploited are the poster children for all the stupid things that these idiotic chaos/street punk bands are into.

And the question is....what 16 year old punk girl didn't want to get free beer from a band that she likes?
Answer: one who didn't realize that the lead singer and manager of the band were gonna try and sleep with her.

I'm not actually trying to get you angry btw nemo, and I get the trouble about Wattie, but it is technically Wattie, not Exploited. The band may as well be called Wattie, cause he IS the Exploited.

If that made sense..

Wait I've got it, he is the problem with exploited. I hate his vocals but enjoy the music on earlier records. The lyrics are full of crap admittedly, but it's them that bring them down..
Quote by ss311
I'm not actually trying to get you angry btw nemo, and I get the trouble about Wattie, but it is technically Wattie, not Exploited. The band may as well be called Wattie, cause he IS the Exploited.

If that made sense..

Wait I've got it, he is the problem with exploited. I hate his vocals but enjoy the music on earlier records. The lyrics are full of crap admittedly, but it's them that bring them down..

what do you mean full of crap, sex and violence was a lyrical masterpiece
(I actually like the guitar part in that song though)
I do like X-Ray Spex , punk + weird sax solos= something really good
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...