Page 1 of 2
I'm planning on getting a custom guitar made to these specifications

Solid alder super strat style body with HSH routing
Official Floyd Rose trem
1 tone pot 1 volume pot, 5 way switch, and a killswitch
as of yet i'm unsure on the pickups
Maple bolt on neck with rosewood fretboard and dot inlays
Jackson style reverse headstock, tuners yet to be decided

Do you guys think this'll be worth the asking price of about £1650? (I'm saving £1700 just in case)

Also, which pick-ups and tuners should i get
be cheaper to find a guitar that fits those specs probably, or fits them near enough.
what music do you play? then we can suggest pickups.
About that, I really want a guitar thats mine and that'll last me without switching every year or so

and i play EVERYTHING i swear, I mainly play blues metal and shred though, but I'm also getting a fender american strat at some point so my cleaner stuff is covered with that, i also dont want to go for EMGs
buy parts off of warmoth.com
Quote by xsynysterx06
adio_stack...i love you.
im not homo..

Quote by RideTheAnger13
lmao, omg, Adio, you have the best avatar known to man!
well, with £1700 you are gona get a guitar that will last for life! You won't have to change it!

You could make it "yours" by customising it a bit.
For metal shred i'd say Dimarzio, i'm getting a new set for my ibanez at the mo and have been tryin a few out, evolution bridge and paf pro neck sound great, seeing as you are gettin a strat i wouldn't worry bout the middle pikcup so much, but you could get a cruiser or sometin.
I want the versatility so i'm sticking with HSH, and I'll check out dimarzios, and i'd also prefer to have a proffesional handle the guitar rather than me doing it, it'd be a whole lot better and it cant screw up cos a proffesional made it

And i'm english, warmoth is a no no unless i want £100 in postage bills
Quote by Punk_Ninja
I want the versatility so i'm sticking with HSH, and I'll check out dimarzios, and i'd also prefer to have a proffesional handle the guitar rather than me doing it, it'd be a whole lot better and it cant screw up cos a proffesional made it

buy your own parts and have a pro put it together for you

just red the english thing maybe find a place to buy parts from. like ebay?
Quote by xsynysterx06
adio_stack...i love you.
im not homo..

Quote by RideTheAnger13
lmao, omg, Adio, you have the best avatar known to man!
But wouldnt i have to pay the pro stupid amounts of money?
I'd prefer it all to be done in england without postage costs and all that foo-ey

EDIT:I'm not touching ebay, second hand for the guitar thats sticking with me for life? no thanks
there is an excellent ebay shop in america that will have ur pickups with you in like 4 days, even with the shippings costs a dimarzio will cost you about £40.
Yeah but thats only the pick-ups

I'd prefer to go with this custom shop guy but which pick-ups should i use, for versatility mainly cos i dont want a one genre set of pick-ups (like EMGs or something simarlar)
just get a sweet guitar, whatever takes your fancy, get the pickups and whatever else you want for it and get it customed for you in a shop? can't go wrong.
And yeh they are just the pickups, but that's pretty important! For versatility you could try evo bridge and paf pro bridge or something, or d-sonic bridge if you want more crunch.
of course you don't have to get dimarzio, but i would personaly.
cool, I'll have a look through Dimarzios website or something, I'll have to think it through but a lot of guitars priced £1700 are things like PRS and Gibson and look more at home on your mantle piece rather than in you arms playing a gig
hardly dude, gibsons look the dogs in a gig! no matter what guitar u get, or if u get one custom made, ur gona be wary bout giggin it when it's that price!
i'd get an ibanez if were you too, but i aint you.
Lol, I'm getting an ibanez at chirstmas, it'll be my main guitar until i get this next one then i'll be using it for drop tunings and I'm on about the Gibsons that are the ones from 1950 and such which noone would even play cos of the rarity, and i wont mind gigging with it as i wont get any crazy go nuts gigs for ages yet
Hehe, yeah i am
But the Fender wasnt my idea, my Dad was Rory Gallaghers driver for years so he wants to get me a full Rory Gallagher set-up which includes a Fender american strat
Hehe, I would but all the money i get is off him so he'd be buying his own beer there
If it wasnt for him I'd still be using a strat copy and not my Dean V, But the custom shop guitar is going to be my own doing as my dad wouldnt pay for one that isnt Fender, Jackson or something that'd cost over £3000 and he wouldnt pay for one of those
Quote by Punk_Ninja

You'll save a lot more money. And warmoth has very high quality parts. check out the walmorth gallery for ideas.
Quote by drevil814
Be a man and tell her off. If that doesn't work, a roundhouse kick to the face will.

Quote by flesh fries
im not racist....ive got a color tv
dude even with postage, warmoth saves you, from what i gather from you specs, and assuming 1"L" (too lazy to fig out sign :P) is like $2. you'd still save a good 200-500 (L)

so imo you should build it yourself, but dude, honestly, it's up to you whether it is "worth it" or not, because it depends, are you gonna love it? are you gonna treasure it and make memories with it? or is it just gonna sit in your room and look pretty?

note i mean no offence, i'm just playing devil's advocate

oh and i dream of owning a guitar with almost identical stats as yours

GL, hope it works out for ya
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
RG1570 + pickup change hands down.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Depends how old you are and how mature you are, really. If you're still young, your tastes WILL change (they will, trust me.), and that guitar you spent all that money on could very well become redundant. If you're totally bent on the custom idea, make sure it's articulate enough to handle EVERYTHING, and isn't going to look overly 'm3t4l', so go easy on the custom paint job.

Also, would this be your first guitar with a floating trem?
I havnt really read anything here but if youre going to blow all your cash on it then its not really a good idea, IMO. Id wait untill youve got all aspects of your gear as upgraded as you can...not just ONE thing. A good amp is more important than a good guitar as far as tone goes. Id spread some of that wealth around your whole rig before blowing it all on one thing.
I thought you were 13 and skint, Punk? How are you going to afford a £1700 + custom built superstrat?...

Like someone else said concentrate that money on your amp first.
Hamer USA Chapparal Custom, scalloped fretboard & Sustainiac
Hamer USA Chapparal Elite, Dragon Snakeskin finish
BC Rich USA Gunslinger
BC Rich USA Warlock
Boss GX700
3TM ADA MP1
Rocktron XPression
Mesa 50/50 Stereo Power Amp
Laney 4x12 Cab
Yeah 13 and skint, getting the money from now til next year, and by the time I get the guitar i'll have a VOX AC30 head with marshall 4x12 cab

and this guitar wont just be sitting in my room and looking pretty, I'm already booked for a small gig in blackpool this year (a shame i wont have my guitar by then) and when i have the guitar I'll be going into my GCSE year and i'll be taking music so the guitar'll help me there

and also, my ibanez (i'm getting in 4 months, christmas) will be my first floating trem guitar
he he he Fair enough.

The guitar you described is pretty similar to my ideal instrument.
Mine would probably be mahogany, set or thru neck with a ebony fretboard.

You should look into a USA Jackson Soloist if you've got that money to spend.
Unfortunately I think the reverse headstock feature is a custom shop option only though.
BC Rich USA Gunslinger
BC Rich USA Warlock
Boss GX700
3TM ADA MP1
Rocktron XPression
Laney 4x12 Cab
Quote by Punk_Ninja
Yeah 13 and skint, getting the money from now til next year, and by the time I get the guitar i'll have a VOX AC30 head with marshall 4x12 cab

and this guitar wont just be sitting in my room and looking pretty, I'm already booked for a small gig in blackpool this year (a shame i wont have my guitar by then) and when i have the guitar I'll be going into my GCSE year and i'll be taking music so the guitar'll help me there

and also, my ibanez (i'm getting in 4 months, christmas) will be my first floating trem guitar

You won't use your guitar that much for GCSE year.

You're spoilt as hell, but I suppose your Dad can afford it so I can't complain.

Two things, though:

1) An AC30 for Metal and Shred?

2) Alder body for Metal?

A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Why not look into some old skool superstrats from the late eighties/early nineties.
You could probably get a great instrument for alot less that that.
Old skool USA BC Rich, Kramer, Charvel, Jackson, Hamer etc.
BC Rich USA Gunslinger
BC Rich USA Warlock
Boss GX700
3TM ADA MP1
Rocktron XPression
Laney 4x12 Cab
to be absolutely honest, the instrument that you described fits a hell of a lot of currently available guitars. I'd only go custom if you actually wanted something different and personal rather than just a superstrat with HSH that you can get from Ibanez or Sheckter or somewhere. When i get a custom guitar (and i'm going to wait till i mature a bit, i'm only 18 now) i'll get something that is as personal to me as a tattoo - afterall by that age i'll actually deserve it. But yer living in the UK (i live in London) convinces you to blow money all the time and i can understand the appeal for a custom guitar, it just doesn't seem like the ideas you have justify it.
Marty
Look at www.ranguitars.com , they offer much cheaper exact spec. guitars than that.....
Why did Pat Metheney cross the road? He didn't, his hair got in the way
--
Member #1 of Ibanez > You club. PM me to join
Aldep bodies are used on jacksons which are used for metal and I'll obviously have pedals for it, and for that 'spoiled to hell' remark, i'm the total opposite, my DAD trys to spoil me, though i live with my mum where I'm struggling to have a proper meal every night

And where would i get an old skool superstrat that's versatile anough to play nearly every genre (every GOOD genre) of music?

that includes
All forms of metal
Shred
Blues and Jazz
Punk (the good punk, not pop punk)
Classic rock (stuff like Thin Lizzy and Ted Nugent)
and more random stuff that is only a couple of songs
Answer to your question....no
Behringerv-tone(first guitar)
Epiphone les paul standard plus (cherry burst)
Flanger Pearl peddle
Marshall G15R CD
Dunlop 535Q wah

I like Epi LP's. You got a problem, PM me!
Yeah so if i get a custom it'll be versaitile enough and it'll look good and sound good, plus I'll have a fender strat and an ibanez for drop tunings
in my personal opinion most guitars will play all those genres really well, although some may feel better in your hands than others, of course going the H/S/S or H/S/H route gives you more classic tonal options to sound like the previous giants of the genres. It's really the amp that's going to give you those sounds, and that's the tricky part - getting an amp that plays all those genres is going to be a bit of a search but for 1700 pounds you could definately get an amp that'd play all those, hell i reckon for 1000 pounds you probably could if you reall shopped around. Your in the UK so check out some Laney amps - the TT's are pretty versatile.

It may seem like i worship shred and listen to metallica and play ESP guitars, but trust me man i listen to a heap of **** ranging from classical music to funk, to blues (my dad's a blues muso) - find a guitar that you love to play, from their the sound is probably more from teh amp than anything.
Marty
But what'd be the point in getting an amp for £1000 when my dads buying me and AC30 with a marshall 4x12?
I'll get pedals to give it metal distortion and it should end up versatile enough, i mean this is what rory gallagher used, and if you've heard him he can get loads of sounds out of one
Good post suicidal moose.

"And where would i get an old skool superstrat that's versatile anough to play nearly every genre (every GOOD genre) of music?"

Loads of places, my old skool superstrats (Well early nineties) are more than capable of playing a wide variety of styles, especially the music I imagine you would like to play.
The only one which is limited is the Gunslinger which has only one HB in the bridge position but that rips at metal and rock.metal lead work.
BC Rich USA Gunslinger
BC Rich USA Warlock
Boss GX700
3TM ADA MP1
Rocktron XPression
Laney 4x12 Cab
whoop, fair enough, it just seems excessive spending that much on a custom guitar to me, but i guess if you do have the money do it. All i'm trying to say is you CAN get this kind of guitar from manufacturers. I'd feel bad for you if you spent all that time saving money for something that can be accomplished for a lot less, than again i'm living of 3 pound a day for food in London so maybe my value system is a bit different.
Marty
Those ranguitars look interesting.

I agree with suicidalmoose, you don't really need to spend that money , its an indulgence really. You can get some used quality guitars secondhand pretty cheap. Some guy in Belgium was selling a USA Hamer Chaparral sustainiac last week on ebaywith for £380.00... No one bid on it! This guitar was at least £1400.00 when new. They are quality instruments.
Dont believe me, then read this.

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar/product/Hamer/Chaparall/10/1

I was so close to buying it but I've got a lot of things to pay for this month so I had to let it go .
BC Rich USA Gunslinger
BC Rich USA Warlock
Boss GX700
3TM ADA MP1
Rocktron XPression
Laney 4x12 Cab
Quote by Punk_Ninja
I'm planning on getting a custom guitar made to these specifications

Solid alder super strat style body with HSH routing
Official Floyd Rose trem
1 tone pot 1 volume pot, 5 way switch, and a killswitch
as of yet i'm unsure on the pickups
Maple bolt on neck with rosewood fretboard and dot inlays
Jackson style reverse headstock, tuners yet to be decided

Do you guys think this'll be worth the asking price of about £1650? (I'm saving £1700 just in case)

Also, which pick-ups and tuners should i get

lol i can make that for 1000 canadian dollars or less
Larrivée D-03R
US Fender Telecaster, Vox AC15
Page 1 of 2