Page 1 of 2
dude, in metal u cant go wrong with the tony iommi signature pickups, although i havent played a guitar with them, im guessin they're good cuz he pretty much created metal
Ivan-o
Quote by ac/dc*@ce666
dude, in metal u cant go wrong with the tony iommi signature pickups, although i havent played a guitar with them, im guessin they're good cuz he pretty much created metal

meh, toni is great, but i think the guy is looking for an over the top but clear sound from whaat he said.
Quote by ac/dc*@ce666

HAHAHA!
SKOTY- B!!!
Quote by ac/dc*@ce666

those are like 120 dollars, that would be my only concern, i dont think theyre worth 120 bucks... and the EMG's sound sick, my friend had a ESP with them, (not 81/85) and even those were better than my ****ty ass stock pickups...

EDIT: dont assume theyre good just cuz its a signature pickup and its tony iommi, ive never heard them either, but 120 bucks is a bit ridiculous
ya my EMGs were 220$ so i have to warn you their pricy but they are godly.

Quote by beadhangingOne
have u heard 81/85s in action?

i use them on my modded ML.
The iommi pick up is very nice i dont know about it being 120 but it is a very nice pick up. Though for that much just get EMGs 81/60 for rhythm 81/85 for lead
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
Quote by AtrumArx
81/60 is good as well as the 81/85 combo. Maybe some Duncans?

i would go for the first or the second of those. Duncans are about 70$ cheaper but i dont like them but i know people that do.

Quote by metallicafan180
EMG-ZW set

those are 81/85s, which have been discussed the whole thread. but since ur location is a CC song ill let it slip.
Quote by beadhangingOne
81/85 is active right? does that make any difference when installing them or does it matter what guitar u have?

i installed mine myself.

yes ur guitar matters, ur tone and volume controls are wired differently with them.
also u will have to get a nine volt somewhere in the guitar,but DONT ROUTE IT!
routing ur guitar cost like 50$ and kills the resale value. The 9v slot is attached to an unremovable red wire (which makes u have to cut a hole in the inside of your guitar just to fit the slot through).

The solution: cut the wire then resodder it on the other side. (worked great, but if your no guitar wiz pay someone 30$ to install them and tell him what to do with the 9v slot)/

P.S. They are active
1996 Washburn Dimebag Darell custom USA. (lighting storm paintjob one)
I use the 81 + 85's on that guitar and they pick up harmonics with the floyd nicely.

This is my guitar before the EMG 81/85's
^ thats sick dude, yea im gonna probably gonna go with either these or this one dimarzio pickup i saw, the wiring is gonna be a bitch if i get these but good thing im not gonna be the one doing it lol...
which dimarzio did you see? the d-sonic in the bridge with maybe an evo in the neck would be awesome.
Quote by J.Randen
which dimarzio did you see? the d-sonic in the bridge with maybe an evo in the neck would be awesome.

the evolution, i think it would do good in the bridge or neck cuz it has a wide range of harmonic overtones, thats one of things that really drew my attention
it's an amazing pick up, very hot, you have to be pretty clean to get the most out of it as it isn't very forgiving. i think an evo in the neck and a bassier bridge would give you really good versatility, the d-sonic sounds amazing.
^ so the d-sonic is better with more distortion but it doesn't feedback as much as the evo? I think the closest thing i can relate to soundwise what i want is for the love of god, and i no steve designed the evo but could i probably get like that "clean distortion" with those 2?

edit: to j randen
well steve uses 3 evo's, or evo neck and breed bridge i think. with either you could prolly come close to that sound, allthough you'll need a beast of an amp.
like stiffy said, the x2n is good too, it's their highest output pickup, but my mate had it and said it wasn't actualy that powerfull, you're gona just have to pick a pup and hope for the best!
81/85s

My friend had a SG Standard with 81/85s. It was sex with strings.

Whats the difference between the Kerry King set and the Zakk Wylde set?
Quote by tronsbasscool
This is my 5th account and I still havn't made any friends

My Rig
ESP Viper 1000
Crate RFX120

<//////>~
^Yeah, I know dude. I've been around, where the hell have you been?

If you need any help with wiring, maybe my friend could help you out. He's pretty good at that stuff. He put pickups in my Ibanez.
Quote by tronsbasscool

My Rig
ESP Viper 1000
Crate RFX120

<//////>~
the Difference between the KFK set and the ZW set is the Kerry King one comes with an EMG 20db afterburner boost thats the only difference
What in God's name is that?
Quote by tronsbasscool

My Rig
ESP Viper 1000
Crate RFX120

<//////>~
an EMG 20db afterburner boost

That.
Quote by tronsbasscool

My Rig
ESP Viper 1000
Crate RFX120

<//////>~
its a volume/gain boost. Alexi Laiho also uses one its just gives you a little boost for solos
Oooh.
Quote by tronsbasscool

My Rig
ESP Viper 1000
Crate RFX120

<//////>~
My friend has the Mustaines sig pickups but there really pricy...but there ****in awesome
Page 1 of 2