Page 1 of 4
Ok, I just watched this show that highlighted a Fender guitar factory, and I have to say, I was REALLY impressed with the actual work that goes into the guitars.

I've looked through pictures of the Gibson electric factory, and almost everything was done with a machine by people that didn't really look like they knew what they were doing and were just there because it was the only job they could get. With this Fender factory, everyone looked like they loved their job there and that they were actually good at it.

I've always just shrugged Fenders off as "alright" guitars, but after seeing this show, I'm really regretting not looking into them a LOT sooner. I was just on Musician's Friend, and after just a quick look through the Fender guitars, I noticed that tons are in my price range.

So, I need you Fender experts to recommend me a nice Fender guitar for $700 or less. I play a lot of experimental-ish stuff. Think The Mars Volta and At the Drive-in.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
highway one stratocasters

there american made, the best strat next to the american ones

EDIT: alright its $50 more but im sure u can squeeze out 50 bucks to get a good guitar

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Highway-One-Stratocaster?sku=512768
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Look into the Deluxe Players Strat, the '50s, '60s, or '70s series Strats, the Deluxe Powerhouse Strat. I'd reccomend staying away from the Highway One Strats though, those really aren't worth the money.
Fender American Deluxe V-Neck Strat
Laguna LG300CE Acoustic Electric
Quote by Waterboy799

same as mexis, built 5 miles up in texas

try a big block strat, a power house strat, or deluxe players strat
Quote by Waterboy799

EDIT: alright its $50 more but im sure u can squeeze out 50 bucks to get a good guitar

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Highway-One-Stratocaster?sku=512768

I can't agree with that man, Highway Ones are really just the MIM Strat made in America.

Nothing anymore special than the MIM strats.
What about the more unique shapes like the Mustangs, Jaguars, and Cyclones? are they any good?
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Quote by karateguy29
I can't agree with that man, Highway Ones are really just the MIM Strat made in America.

deja voo

the cyclone is the only one you could afford, and its decent try the Toronado GT HH, its sexy IMO

(im a fender guy, never thought id be helpin you out? )
Quote by Xenn99
What about the more unique shapes like the Mustangs, Jaguars, and Cyclones? are they any good?

I don't have much experience in those (although I hear their still great guitars.) Just keep in mind that a couple of those may have humbuckers instead of single coils.
Quote by Arlabester
deja voo

the cyclone is the only one you could afford, and its decent try the Toronado GT HH, its sexy IMO

(im a fender guy, never thought id be helpin you out? )

Really? Why not? I'm a Fender guy too
Quote by karateguy29

really? i'v always heard that highway one strats were better. oh well i guess were all here to learn, thanks btw
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

Although I don't know the price, the mustang and the Tom Delounge sig strat are probably pretty good
I'm the dream unicorn! The young machetes guide my path through forests of burning orange trees, but protect me from the cloud eating coconut eyed monsters that live in the bushes.
Quote by Waterboy799
really? i'v always heard that highway one strats were better. oh well i guess were all here to learn, thanks btw

No problem mi amigo, I think Fender just trys to jack up the price on the Highway Ones by making them in America.
Quote by karateguy29
Really? Why not? I'm a Fender guy too

im a noob, Xenn is a n00b pwner. HAIL FENDER!

we should start a Fender Fan Club, i want another strat! wait i have a strat! ALLRIGHT!
Keep in mind that if it was a show, the people were probably made to look like they were having a good time. Just a thought to keep in mind.

I've only got a Gibson, don't know which strat is better.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Quote by Xenn99

all of em, i think i might be a Fender-er for life

oh theyre in for a price range, theyre great guitars! hell what fender isnt?
HOW COME NO ONES SAID TELECASTER YET?

i like telecasters haha but if you could afford the mustang reissue , id definetly go for that.
we must become the change we want to see.
And yes, I assumed that maybe the show was fake as well, but just by looking at the people you could tell that they knew what they were doing and that they loved doing it. You can't fake that. You can try, but it's pretty noticeable.

And, even if they were faking, they still did the work with a lot of skill.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Quote by Out_Of_Exile
HOW COME NO ONES SAID TELECASTER YET?

i like telecasters haha but if you could afford the mustang reissue , id definetly go for that.

i said telecaster Fenders=**** YEAH!
you know just cause a guitar is more expensive doesnt exactly mean its better, im not much of a fender guy (as seen a coupl of posts up) but seriously dont recommend the more expensive one just because its more expensive. if you think they pwn then say why they pwn.

that was to musiclover2399
Quote by Scutchington

A Brain Malfunction

Look, I'm a fender man, my soul belobngs to them, I am a fender SLUT to both their guitars and basses look at the highways and stay away from non single coil jags
Quote by musiclover2399
Look, I'm a fender man, my soul belobngs to them, I am a fender SLUT to both their guitars and basses look at the highways and stay away from non single coil jags

dude non single coil jags are jags, with humbuckers, hes shouldnt get a H1

XENN DONT GET A H1!!!
Tele anybody? There's a ton of models. Standard MIM teles are incredible. I cant speak for the highway ones though.
Rolling Stones October 8th.....hell yea
Xenny Boy, heres a list

Teh List

'69 Mustang Reissue
HH Jaguar
Deluxe Player's Strat
Big Block Strat
MIM Strat
MIM Tele
Power Strat
Big Block Tele
Cyclone II
Toronado GT HH
Toronado
How about the '72 Custom Tele?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-72-Telecaster-Deluxe-Electric-Guitar?sku=511141

I know the guy from Motion City Soundtrack plays one pretty much exclusively and I like his sound (even though they're a pop-punk-ish band).
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Arlabester, look for my highway one thread titled new highway ones, THEY ARE NOT MIM FENDERS, a jag with buckers is like a tele with buckers, it is not the same, it doesnt have the same soul
Quote by Xenn99
How about the '72 Custom Tele?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-72-Telecaster-Deluxe-Electric-Guitar?sku=511141

I know the guy from Motion City Soundtrack plays one pretty much exclusively and I like his sound (even though they're a pop-punk-ish band).

i wanted that guitar for a good long, while i like the 'Wide-Range' buckers

with Fender it all goes down to preference, try em out!
Musiclover, are you serious? First you're saying spend over my budget and get a Highway 1. If I was going to break my budget, I'd just keep saving and get a real MIA Fender for what...$200 more?

NOW, you suggest an affinity Squier over a MIM Tele?

Dude...wtf?

Arlabester, kick ass list. Although you can take the Tornado's off of it...I don't like the look of them much.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
And, THANK GOD there's a Fender dealer near me. I'll head over there this week and try out everything they've got. Although I doubt they'll have many of these more uncommon models because they're a small shop.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
ok Xenn listen, if you were to get a MIM tele and were to upgrade it you could just get a affinity squier, SAME wood and SAME upgrades so they'll be the same guitar but for less.

highway ones now have BETTER laquer protection than americans, it's barely over budget and WELL worth it, I'm keeping you from spending extra on both MIMs and Americans, there are alternatives for both as i stated. As for those other guitars, I think that they're great, except the jag as it's just not the same
stfu, he does NOT want a H1!

Teh List

'69 Mustang Reissue
HH Jaguar
Deluxe Player's Strat
Big Block Strat
MIM Strat
MIM Tele
Power Strat
Big Block Tele
Cyclone II
Cyclone HH
TC-90 Thinline (P-90s)
Telecaster Thinline Custom
Telecaster FMT HH
Ok, Musiclover, just because you're pleading your case maturely (unlike 95% of UGer's), I'll give some highway 1's a chance.

Arlabester, I'm working my way down the list...I'll repost the one's I like.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Dude, I'm just telling him ways to save money, and many squiers are GREAT alternatives as they can be made of the same wood but take the same upgrades so you save like 200, I'm just informing people that highway ones are great moneysavers now adays, they don't have S-1 systems but they have greasebucket tone circuits and are NOT MIM FENDERS like the damn myth.

Also please just don't swear im just making sure i get my point across, i live for fenders
PS/edit: good luck Xenn , great choices
TEH UPDATED LIST

Teh List

'69 Mustang Reissue
HH Jaguar
MIM Tele
Cyclone II
Cyclone HH
TC-90 Thinline (P-90s)
Telecaster FMT HH

Ok...that's the current "list." The only one I'm not too sure about is the TC-90. It's semi-hollow, so how will it handle some distortion? I don't play with a ton of distortion, but sometimes I'll use a decent amount.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
I think it's cool, also try out a random one since I'm sure there will be ones you forget at the store since they're a fender dealer, I like the tele custom you put earlier, my teacher has one, the bassy bucker neck and trebly single coil bridge compliment greatly in comparison with the deluxes which aren't the same as a traditional fender tele (imho)
IMHO, Highway Ones are not really worth it. You have to look at the features. The American neck is awesome, but the body finish is not durable at all. The bridge and all the hardware is the same as on MIM. I can't really speak for the electronics, but I think that the Standard MIM is a much better deal for your money. The 2006 Standards are amazing.

If you can find some extra cash, look into the Classic Player 50's Strat. It is a new model that combines vintage and modern features to get the best of both worlds.

American Stratocaster + Blues Junior

Page 1 of 4