OK, my little sister, her boyfriend, and his family went to the Detroit Jazz Festival today (I went yesterday with my friends). I got a call from her and she said "hey there's someone here who wants to talk to you". I then heard "hello?" and I said "hey who is this?" He said "Will Lee."

I almost **** myself.

He's a pretty awesome guy. We talked for about 8 minutes about bass stuff mostly. He was curious as to how I heard of him, because he said that few 18-year olds are into his stuff. Apparently he was doing this Jaco seminar today, and my sister said he really tore it up.

So yeah. Pretty sweet.
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
awesome, i don't know who he is, but congratulations on getting to talk to him
That's awsome.

In fact, I talked to Chic Corea the other day. Despite what I have heard, he seemed like a nice guy. We talked about Dave Brubeck for a while... I can't wait for jazz band tryouts on thursday. I'm getting all of my jazz chops down. I just ordered the "Real Book" version 6 off of amazon (I'm getting mine the legal way).

I got the opportunity to play with the best saxaphone player near me yesterday as well. He was just really an inspiration, and taught me a LOT about a bassist's role in Jazz. I had a great time. We played everything from Jaco's "The Chicken" to the Beatle's "Dear Prudence".

Jazz is one thing that i wish was talked about more around here. It is such a huge topic, and it seems like we barely scratch the surface.

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
Quote by Incubus_SCIENCE
That's awsome.

In fact, I talked to Chic Corea the other day. Despite what I have heard, he seemed like a nice guy. We talked about Dave Brubeck for a while... I can't wait for jazz band tryouts on thursday. I'm getting all of my jazz chops down. I just ordered the "Real Book" version 6 off of amazon (I'm getting mine the legal way).

I got the opportunity to play with the best saxaphone player near me yesterday as well. He was just really an inspiration, and taught me a LOT about a bassist's role in Jazz. I had a great time. We played everything from Jaco's "The Chicken" to the Beatle's "Dear Prudence".

Jazz is one thing that i wish was talked about more around here. It is such a huge topic, and it seems like we barely scratch the surface.

I completely agree. But if it was talked about more by us, we'd need another whole forum just to cover Jazz Bass.

I wish my college had a jazz group... I'm going to have to go look in newport to find one. Maybe Providence, I'm going insane playing jazz by myself.
Well, then lets turn it into a jazz forum for a while! The punks will have to be patient.

Yeah, jazz band starts at my school in a couple months, but I've already secured the bass position, because I'm the only non-pop-punk bassist that tried out. Kind of hard to play melodic extensions with your bass at your knees!
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
At my school we only got a brass band (Flute, claranet, sax ect.) But we play some semi jazzish stuff. I love it.

I read an article on Will Lee in 'Bass Guitar.' He sounds like awesome dude. Your a lucky one

Im gonna plead to the head of the music department for a jazz band.
Quote by Incubus_SCIENCE

i completely agree, but i think its a bit complicated for most people for some reason. they'd rather listen to root bashing sing-a-longs about girlfriends dumping their boyfriends instead

i got kicked out of my schools jazz band for the first semester because of poor grades last year, so im extremely pissed(which i had no idea they could do). how do they expect me to come in 2 weeks before the christmas concert and be able to play as naturally as the other bassist?

other than that, im getting a jazz organ trio together, so that should be lots of fun
Quote by Mr. T
"Mr. T defines love as the reluctance to murder. If you're still alive, it's because Mr. T loves you."
^ Actually, this forum is pretty RHCP/Primus/interesting rock bass focused. Not much pop punk/emo, or jazz outside jaco/woot.

So who loves Kind of Blue?
Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray > Digitech BP200 > Gallien Krueger 400RBIII/115

Co-President of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Incubus_Science to join.

Quote by crazypeanutman

damn yertle, you got some groove
Quote by Yertle
^ Actually, this forum is pretty RHCP/Primus/interesting rock bass focused. Not much pop punk/emo, or jazz outside jaco/woot.

*Raises hand* Me!!! Miles Davis is a master of jazz. Hearing one note out of his trumpet is an inspiration by itself.

If you don't own any Miles Davis record, you seriously need to get off the computer (or go to iTunes/BitTorrent/Limewire/Napster) and buy/illegally download this album.It's only $6.99 on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Kind-Blue-Miles-Davis/dp/B000002ADT/ref=pd_sxp_f_pt/103-7865291-4190245?ie=UTF8

The bass playing on the album is amazing as well. I took a few short riffs from So What and incorporated them into my own songs.

Anyone like Dave Brubeck?

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
Quote by Yertle

heh, miles davis, right on.

flemenco stretches is the more well known song, but i love playing around and improvising on "all blues" deffinately a chill line to know.
fun progression too.

anyone who doesnt listen to miles davis should stop what they are doing and go pick up some albums, bitches brew and kind of blue in perticular.
Quote by Mr. T
"Mr. T defines love as the reluctance to murder. If you're still alive, it's because Mr. T loves you."