Okay I can hook my GT-8 up like this. Guitar to gt8 and then gt8 to amp input. But then I heard about 2 pre amps and all that weird stuff then I found this method.

Guitar Out > GT-8 Input Jack.
GT-8 FX Loop Send > Amp Input (yes, right up front).
Amp FX Loop Send > GT-8 FX Loop Return.
GT-8 Left(Mono) Output > Amp FX Loop Return.
If your guitar amplifier supports stereo FX Loop Return (two Return jacks) you can also connect the GT-8 Right Output > Amp Second FX Loop Return.
Alternatively - If you have a second amp you can also connect GT-8 Right Output > Second Amp FX Loop Return.

Okay the 4 cable method. I have the send and return on my amp I just need to get more cables is this a better way to hook up the gt8? Whats the advantages of doing this?
i would just dissable the pre-amp in the gt-8 some how. doing in the 4 cable way wouldn't make a difference really. probably make it sound even more solid state (if you're using a tube amp)

but if you're using an SS amp already it shouldn't matter much about the 2 pre-amps.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
I am using a SS but whats the point of the send and return on my amp then?
what amp is it?

the amps FX loop is to put FX in. if it's footswitchable that's always a plus. you can just bypass it when you're not using it.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Its a Randall RG75 Yeah its got the footswitch and what not and also the send and return each with a level knob.
well, i'd figure out how to dissable the pre-amp in the multi FX, then just put it in the FX loop and switch it out of the signal chain when you're not using it.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

All my tone is coming out of the multieffects I am using preaty much just that and nothing from my amp.
I use the 4 cable method and yes its worth it imho especially for what I want to do.
With the 4 cable method you can split the preamp and power section of your amp.
With the loop function and the ability the set the effects chain on your gt8 you can run effects that are supposed to come before the pre-amp (Wah, overdrive etc) before the pre-amp and the other effects which are supposed to go after the pre-amp (Delay, chorus etc)
after the pre-amp section by enabling loop and changing the effects order.
With my setup I can run both pre-amps together or individually by enabling loop on either units. Of course if you don't want to use the pre-amp section at all on your amp then just run into the effects return of your amp.

Get a few extra cables and try it.
Got to www.bossgtcentral.com for more info and do a search on "4 cable".
Hamer USA Chapparal Custom, scalloped fretboard & Sustainiac
Hamer USA Chapparal Elite, Dragon Snakeskin finish
BC Rich USA Gunslinger
BC Rich USA Warlock
Boss GX700
3TM ADA MP1
Rocktron XPression
Mesa 50/50 Stereo Power Amp
Laney 4x12 Cab
"i would just dissable the pre-amp in the gt-8 some how. doing in the 4 cable way wouldn't make a difference really. probably make it sound even more solid state (if you're using a tube amp)"

Not using the pre-amp on the GT is when the 4 cable method is most effective.
Hamer USA Chapparal Custom, scalloped fretboard & Sustainiac
Hamer USA Chapparal Elite, Dragon Snakeskin finish
BC Rich USA Gunslinger
BC Rich USA Warlock
Boss GX700
3TM ADA MP1
Rocktron XPression
Mesa 50/50 Stereo Power Amp
Laney 4x12 Cab
Quote by rockers73
"i would just dissable the pre-amp in the gt-8 some how. doing in the 4 cable way wouldn't make a difference really. probably make it sound even more solid state (if you're using a tube amp)"

Not using the pre-amp on the GT is when the 4 cable method is most effective.

One of the advantages of using the 4 cable method with the GT-8 is so you can use the preamps on the GT-8, they'd just be going directly into the amplifier power amp (you would turn off the GT effects loop, essentially cutting out the amplifier preamp) instead of going through the amplifier tone stack.

It's worth it, and if you do it right, it doesn't sound digital. Keep your levels below clipping in the GT and you should be just fine. When you use the 4 cable method, it enables you to use the amplifier preamp like another effects (similar to the preamp sims in the GT, only they're in the amplifier). And yes it's better for effects routing if you want to throw the wah at the end of the signal chain (a damn fine effect) or run a compressor after your amplifier preamp for a little more control and crispness in your clean sounds. Try it, but make sure you read the GT primer at bossgtcentral.com so you can set your levels properly.