hey guys im on in 25 minutes and i need to re-string but before i do i want to lower the action, do i do it with the strings off or can it be done with the on. if it needs to be done with them off how high do i adjust it, btw its a gibson les paul classic with the standard abr1 tune-o-matic and stopbar tailpeice
cheers to all hu reply
I see. A bit panicky there? I would wait till you've played or whatever you're doing. Once you adjust the action, you have to adjust intonation too. I'm not being derogatory, but you sound a tad noobish, and I don't think you will have enough time to do it right. Adjust the action with the strings on, otherwise you will never know once you have gone too low.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
by intonation is that the screws at the front of the bridge?
and how abouts do u do it anyway? do u just tighten the strings and then turn the screw until its tuned?
Action is adjusted by the screws at the opposite outer ends of the bridge. Intonation is adjusted by the 6 screws connected to the saddles on one side of the bridge.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
um so htf am i suposed to get a screwdriver in there with the strings on, and do i have to do anything with the truss rod?
Uhhh, I guess so. I'm not too experienced with a bridge/tailpiece adjusting. I wouldn't touch your trussrod unless your neck is severely warped. And even then, I would take it to somebody. Broken trussrod=dead guitar + expensive to fix
don't do it! whats the point anyways, you've practised your set with your current guitar set up the way it is right? adjust action later, trust me it's so easy to **** up first time around and get string buzz, and that aint cool! it takes time and patience to set up a guitar.
Marty