So, I was getting rather bored and listening to John Butler Trio. I was thinking that I should make my acoustic fretless, then set it up for slide. I want it to be planned first, so

1: Defret the guitar. Do it slowly and try not to chip the fretboard
2:Fill the fret slots with pine
3: Sand and finish with pure tung oil
4: Replace nut with Tusq with the fret guides flat
5: Replace and lower bridge
6: Replace tuners (if I have enough money)

Can you think of anything else I should be doing? Here's a picture of it:
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
wouldn't you need to scallop the fretboard or really downtune the guitar? bass is possible to make fretless as the strings are very loose and large, however guitars are much more difficult to make fretless as they require the frets to limit string length. good luck but i don't think it's possible, especially on an acoustic.
Marty
But there's classical fretless guitars. How do you explain that?
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
he's using it for slides,

i'd imagine that he doesnt need to scallop or downtune at all
http://www.theweekendkids.com

Gibson Les Paul Studio w/dirtyfingers pickups
Gibson Joan Jett Melody Maker
VOX ac30 head
Marshall 1960 4x12 cab
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Awesome
You can see no problems or anything I've left out?
Oh, that's a really good point. I didn't think of that. Anything else I've done wrong?
Since you will most likely use roundwound strings, I recomend using boat epoxy instead of tung oil. Just epoxy that mother (in VERY light coats) a lot, sand/buff more epoxy etc, eventually it will be very shiny and stuff, which is what you want.
haha
Quote by suicidalmoose
wouldn't you need to scallop the fretboard or really downtune the guitar? bass is possible to make fretless as the strings are very loose and large, however guitars are much more difficult to make fretless as they require the frets to limit string length. good luck but i don't think it's possible, especially on an acoustic.

you=idiot firstly bass strings are not loose, they are just like guitar strings, also classical stringed instruments don't have frets and their strings are tight as ****. Besides he's not trying to play chords on it, he wants to play slide guitar on it.
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Since you will most likely use roundwound strings, I recomend using boat epoxy instead of tung oil. Just epoxy that mother (in VERY light coats) a lot, sand/buff more epoxy etc, eventually it will be very shiny and stuff, which is what you want.

You said yourself I need a high action. Since the guitar will be played with slide, the strings will never come into contact with the fretboard? So, epoxying it won't matter? I'm still working on my lap steel, I assume the same thing applies with that?
If your going to set it up for slide why do you need to remove the frets?
I'd keep the frets so it easily reversable if you decide you don't like slide.
Quote by the_random_hero
You said yourself I need a high action. Since the guitar will be played with slide, the strings will never come into contact with the fretboard? So, epoxying it won't matter? I'm still working on my lap steel, I assume the same thing applies with that?

Ah, I just said that cuz that's what I do if I defretted something again, I'm not too familiar w/ slide.
haha
Ah, I'm not sure either way. Do you's want to vote on fretless or not to fretless? I'll go either way.
Quote by eddiehimself
you=idiot firstly bass strings are not loose, they are just like guitar strings, also classical stringed instruments don't have frets and their strings are tight as ****. Besides he's not trying to play chords on it, he wants to play slide guitar on it.

wow man u seem a bit wound up tight. i missed the part about him wanting to play slide guitar on it. There's been quite a few topics on fretless guitars before and they've all come to certain conclusions. and also see that i wasn't claiming or stating anything, i was trying to inspire conversation, by saying i don't think this is possible, or don't know if that's possible, basically using information that i researched from other UG topics. I didn't mean to offend any1 and if i offended u i'm sorry, but i was keeping a topic alive by researching information in connection to the topic.
Marty
Why bother taking the frets out? If you're setting it up from slide and slide alone, you can get these little metal things that raise the strings by about 1/2 inch at the nut. Strings are raised high, perfect for slide, and you've left the frets in to help show where you need to put the slide!
How may The National D help you waste your time?
Dude, do a fretless guitar, plain and simple. Fretless guitars rule.

Best of luck either ways.
Quote by primusfan
It wasn't mean, it was Portuguese.

Master Saruwatari of the Pit Samurai Pm theguitarist to join

Membro do clube Português do UG.
Hmmmm. I'm still not sure either way. When I get a bass, I'm doing a fretless conversion, and I kind of wanted this to be my practice for it. I'm still leaning towards a fretless, but I'm unsure now.
Is it worth getting a Tusq nut and saddle? Those things are $13 each, and the tuners look like they will set me back $70.