hey guys,
i have a stagg les paul and i was wondering how high should the high e string be off the 12th fret in millimeters (just a rough estermate)
depends on how you prefer it, what gauge you're using, how hard you strum etc...
i prefer 2-3 mm...
EDIT: ^^ that's for low E actually, it's usually a bit lower on high e...
Member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Group
using 10s i strum pretty hard starting to get lighter i only have 2 major spots on the guitar where is buzzes but i dont think u can really notice it on the amp must have good sustain
owh high e, 1.5mm, 2mm is for the low, sry.

*Above the 12th fretwire not the fretboard.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
well sorry to post but i cant help fidling with it i got a little buzz on the 16th fret high e and i think i fixed it. its not really that noticable and can hold a bend. is this normal? and i you can hear it alot when u have the amp quiet
Last edited by striker327 at Sep 5, 2006,
An acoustic buzz is quite normal if you're trying to achieve an action thats as low as possible with minimal/no buzzing. Try plugging your guitar thru an amp, see if it still does.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
i did i had the action low had lots of buzz on 15th and 16th acousticly but when i plug it in on overdrive you cant notice it but when u take it off overdrive and have it on clean u can notice it when the volume its low
Dont plug into overdrive if you're looking for buzz...... If it still is buzzing on cleans, then i suggest you increase the action a bit.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
...pluck it a little softer then...

to check buzz you dont pick hard, just enough to check it.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Normally i wouldnt tolerate buzzing on bends and i'd try to raise it a little more until there's no buzzing at all.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
oh dw man i get it because i had my amp down so low you could notice buzz but when u have it up hugher not to high you cant notice it
LOL

I use .015 to .070

With my bridge setup extra high.

1.5 cm off the 12th fret.
1.3 cm off the fretwire
yeh but you use a higher gauge. i dont know have alook around for the action stevie ray vaughan used.
yo, geuss wat im bringing up again........... i found out the it isnt my action its because the two frets are higher than the other any ways on fixing this? i have heard of a fret file but i dont no much about it
Are those frets properly glued and embedded inside the fretboard? Issit loose? Could you check the neck relief 1st, it might not be your action or others.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Do you know how to check neck relief? its not about seeing it from 90 degree angle. Fret the low E string 1st fret and the 19th/20th, then see the 8th fretwire. There should be roughly at least 0.3mm-0.5mm of clearance between the string and the fretwire. If the string is lying dead on the board, then you dont have any neck relief, if its more than 0.5mm, its either your action too high or too much neck relief. Proper neck relief can be adjusted through tweaking the truss rod.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
i just checked the 8th fret then and it seemed fine it almost looks like its touching but it isnt im pretty sure
Last edited by striker327 at Sep 6, 2006,
Hmm, if your action is set at 3mm at low E, issit uncomfortable? If it doesnt, you might just need to learn to adapt to it. Dont strike the string too hard so buzzing is heard on the amp.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic