i've been playing for a little over two years now and I just noticed that I have a habit of when I get into like an alt picked run I lay my right pinky onto the pick guard / guitar body with my picking hand. Is this a habit I should be avoiding? or is this something that won't affect my playing?
Loads of people do that deliberately to help them find which string they want easier.
Originally posted by: rich sg
And God said unto Jesus: "Son, is there anything you want to talk about?"
And Jesus replied: "Get off my back, Dad! Judas Priest your such a frickin' homophobe! FACE!"
And so Jesus was crucified.
actually that is a good habit to get into, lots of people do that to make their hand steadier making it easier to hit the right string!
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
T.C. Electronic Vintage Dual Distortion
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
I've heard it's best to be avoided because it can get in the way and slow you down later on. "The Principles of Correct Practice for Guitar" recommends against it. On the other hand, Petrucci does it...so I think it's whatever works for you. Maybe shake it if you can, or wait til it becomes a problem (if it ever does), and fix it then.
Are you supposed to just let the hand hover or are you supposed to put ur palm on the bridge or anything?
My Rig:
Epiphone Les Paul Custom - Alpine White
Vox AD30VT
Epiphone SG Special - Black
Planet Waves Cables
Levy's Strap
Dunlop .70 Picks
What I've read said to just let your hand hover, yeah. Resting it on anything adds unnecessary tension and leaves you less mobile than you could be.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=339913&highlight=anchor

I'm trying to learn to play unanchored. It's getting easier, just have to keep working at it.
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
Could someone show me a picture? I dont think im fully grasping this. What you guys are saying is, let your wrist float like a retard and play? I find that i go way faster when i anchor.
Crappy Gear:
Ibanez RG350DX
Ibanez RG7321
LTD F-10
VOX AD15VT
Dunlop Jazz III's (Black)
D'Addarrio .09-.46's
Yeah, that's basically it.

No part of your hand touching your guitar.

And you're going faster because you don't yet have the co-ordination floating requires.

Once you get that, you'll be faster, since there's no friction or anything
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
Last edited by frenchyfungus at Sep 4, 2006,