Hi, im currently mid way through replacing the pickups on my S470 but things have gone horribly wrong! Firstly the stock pickups are very shallow and have plenty of room underneath, but the swinesheads im replacing them with are much deeper - now the first problem is, that when the pickups are screwed in, the middle and bridge pickups are far, far too high and cant be lowered because of the thick shielded wire for each one and depth of the pickup. I've had a quick fiddle around with the wires and flattened each one carefully with some pliers but I still only get about 1mm clearance from the high E string on the bridge and middle!

Plan B - strip the shielding of the wires so the individual wires can be seperated and laid flat, giving me an extra 1mm to play with - but no! The middle pickup bottom screw was screwed in too tight when I was placing it in, and the ENTIRE phillips head thread on the top of the screw has worn off and it resembles a shallow bowl. F*ck! so now I cant even get the middle pickup off, and its far to close to the string to be usable.

Help!
Ibanez S470 (Condor/Pyro/Warthog)
Rockafeller Custom
Laney Lionheart L20H
Framus FR212CB
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss DS-1 (Monte Allum Mod)
Boss DD-6
Electro-Harmonix Small Clone
Dunlop/MXR Phase 90 (Full Script mod)
Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2+
Things have gone a little worse... I decided seeing as I couldnt unscrew the middle pickup I may aswell solder them in anyway, string it up and raise the bridge if necessary so that its at least playable - however I dont have the wrench/key thing with me so I figured that I would have to try and twist it with pliers to try and raise the high e side before I restrung it, otherwise I wouldn't have enough access to. However, having never done this before I didnt realise that the nut and the bit you put the wrench key in two seperate parts - so I ended up taking the nut off, realising its the wrong bit and tried screwing it back on before I noticed that the high E side has infact dived even more, so much that the metal paddle on the underside of the tremolo is now scraping along the plastic guard on the underside of the guitar. An no matter how much I pull it up to a normal position, as soon as screw it up and dive the bar again, the high E side of the bridge pushes down!

I think I should just stop before I end up burning down my house or some other idiot related consequence.
Rockafeller Custom
Laney Lionheart L20H
Framus FR212CB
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss DD-6
Does the pickup has 2 conductor or 4 conductor wiring? if it has 4, then i'd just strip the shielded braid and use the individual 4 wires instead.

For the screws, you could get a small saw/drill bit to make a new head so you could just unscrew it using normal screwdriver. Which screws are you using? the old ones or new ones from swineshead?
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Quote by madpickin03
Does the pickup has 2 conductor or 4 conductor wiring? if it has 4, then i'd just strip the shielded braid and use the individual 4 wires instead.

For the screws, you could get a small saw/drill bit to make a new head so you could just unscrew it using normal screwdriver. Which screws are you using? the old ones or new ones from swineshead?

Its 4 conductor wiring, I wasnt sure if it would matter if I took the shielding off though.

The screws I used were the old ones, as the ones from Swineshead are much wider and didnt fit into the existing holes, I didnt want to drill them and risk messing up the body.
Rockafeller Custom
Laney Lionheart L20H
Framus FR212CB
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss DD-6
If its 4, then i guess it should be fine since it's humcancelling. Do you have pic of this pickup? If you wish to remove the shield braid, then do it really really careful, the last thing you want is a really short wire, or worst, no wires at all...

You could try just strip a bit part of it to let it bend better and leave out the part that'll be inserted into the hole->electronics compartment. You gotta get new screws btw.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Yeah I was planning on just stripping of the plastic/metal shield from the base of the pickup up to the main hole, cant see much point taking it all off.
Rockafeller Custom
Laney Lionheart L20H
Framus FR212CB
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss DD-6
dude, take it to a shop, it seems like you don't know what your'e doing, don't make the situation even worse.
strat player forever.
Well, re arranged the wires and reinstalled the bridge, managed to gain another mm or so so it sits fine now, middle is a good height aswell (well, the top is, the lack of usable screw on the bottom side means I cant lower it but I can fix that later).

All I need to do is resolder wires and fix the bridge, should be fine.
Rockafeller Custom
Laney Lionheart L20H
Framus FR212CB
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss DD-6

Always rape your guitar yourself, dont let others touch it.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Well, that turned out better than expected. Sorted it all out fine and these Swinesheads sound awesome, especially the Condor, what a pickup

Thanks for the help!
Rockafeller Custom
Laney Lionheart L20H
Framus FR212CB
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss DD-6