Page 1 of 2
OK, didn't find anything on the search, so...*shrug*

I'm moving into halls at uni in a couple weeks, and this morning I got the info thing with all the rules of the halls. Says you're allowed to take in musical instruments, as long as they can't be heard outside your room. It then goes on to say that amplifiers aren't allowed in. I tried plugging the headphones I normally use with my amp direct into the bass, but the sound was horrible and fuzzy and sounded like it was tearing the headphones apart. I also had a look for a tiny bass amp and found (http://www.epinions.com/pr-Amplifiers-Dunlop_Rockman_Bass_Ace_Headphone_Amp_For_Bass_Guitar) but I couldn't find any in the UK...

Anyone have any suggestions on what I should do?
Quote by opivy21
I hate feet. I don't even like the word toe. They're like mutated reject hands.

Quote by primusfan
Soak your testicles in battery acid. Works for some people.
Thats what I assumed, but nope.

"DJ or music decks, guitar amplifiers and drum kits are prohibited"
Quote by opivy21

Quote by primusfan
Where are you going? That sucks. You could get an acoustic bass, or take an amp anyway and keep it under your bed. You could get a multi fx box with a headphone out and take that. I can think of plenty of low wattage mini amps for guitar, but I can't think of any for bass.
Sneak in your small bass amp at night and use headphones. If they catch you, plead ignorance. Is this some sort of mormon college?
Use a microcube, Billy Shehan uses one, surely it cant be heard ouside of the room?
Quote by Applehead
Sneak in your small bass amp at night and use headphones. If they catch you, plead ignorance. Is this some sort of mormon college?

+1
Member of The Darkness fanclub
I was there for SD's cocksucking forum, August 15th, 2006.
The Cas Fast Foundation - pm draken to join and support cas on his 30 food free days.
Haha, no, its not a mormon college. Its Oxford Brookes Uni. Pleading ignorance probably wouldn't work cos you have to sign an agreement to occupy. And I don't particularly wanna get kicked out of halls =P

Wouldn't a bass blow a microcube? Especially if its tuned down to C or thereabouts?
Quote by opivy21

Quote by primusfan
Dude, no one is going to kick you out for that. people are going to be smoking crack and having orgies if it's anything like my Uni. a small bass amp with someone playing on headphones is the least of their worries. Trust me

Stop being such a good boy and STICK IT TO THE MAN!
Just get a bass effects unit. Something cheap like a Bass V-Amp and plug your headphones into it. You get lots of effects as a bonus too.
this is what I do:

get a recording program like audacity or something, record straight into your computer, then listen to yourself afterwards, i think its actually a decent way to practice
no dice.
Take a look at the TASCAM Bass Trainer. It is a CD Player with a Bass Guitar Input that plays throug headphones. It is designed to let you practice with CD's but can be used without them or as a CD Player without the Guitar. Features include the ability to control the CD speed and some effects. I use one everyday and they work very well. If you get one, buy a power supply. The battery life is terrible.

Good Luck at the University

http://www.tascam.com/Products/cdbt1mkii.html
ive gone thru 3 of these threads in the past 3 or so months and no one ever suggest to play unplugged.. i dont think its a big deal to play unlpugged :S i barely ever play thru my amp. just during band practices, gigs, rehearsals etc. and when i wanna find a certain tone or play along to a song (but the last 2 can also be somewhat done unplugged, and the first 3 obviously wouldnt be done in your dorm)
Quote by mangablade
ive gone thru 3 of these threads in the past 3 or so months and no one ever suggest to play unplugged.. i dont think its a big deal to play unlpugged :S i barely ever play thru my amp. just during band practices, gigs, rehearsals etc. and when i wanna find a certain tone or play along to a song (but the last 2 can also be somewhat done unplugged, and the first 3 obviously wouldnt be done in your dorm)

exactly, i should use my amp sometime, though... :/
^ i dont agree. You cant hear what you are doing properly, you need to practice on an amp so you can hear how cleanly you are hitting the notes. and slapping and tapping are just a waste of time.
Pluck REALLY hard with a pick, that's what Jason Newsted did when he coudln't afford an amp

I recommend the Tascam Bass Trainer.
haha
Quote by Applehead
^ i dont agree. You cant hear what you are doing properly, you need to practice on an amp so you can hear how cleanly you are hitting the notes. and slapping and tapping are just a waste of time.

You can turn down the treble on an amp, and i know thats what a lot of bassists do to get a more "woofy" tone, and in turn, you dont hear mistakes nearly as well, because usually mistakes are heard in the high end of the spectrum ala "treble". Fret buzz fo sho.

and i dont get the 2nd party of your comment... slap and tap are a waste of time??
maybe u dont need an amp.

I know what i say may sound crazy and arkward ( well it is arkward ), but if all fails put your ear against the body of the bass while you are playing =] lol , or you could just buy a acoustic bass
Yeah, now you're gonna die wearing that stupid little hat. How does it feel?

Help me to live.

I make custom guitar wiring harnesses and I'm pretty damn good at it!
Yeah, yeah... we aren't allowed to have amps at PSU either... but RA's don't care about stuff like that... they're too busy with drunks...

Don't worry about it, take your amp, keep it down, or plug headphones in...

Adam
buy an acoustic bass, they actually sound pretty nice
or just bring in a little amp, they will never know
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
Quote by mangablade
You can turn down the treble on an amp, and i know thats what a lot of bassists do to get a more "woofy" tone, and in turn, you dont hear mistakes nearly as well, because usually mistakes are heard in the high end of the spectrum ala "treble". Fret buzz fo sho.

and i dont get the 2nd party of your comment... slap and tap are a waste of time??

I don't think the point here is to try and figure out ways to hide mistakes in your playing...he's saying that you should be listening for mistakes so you can fix them. And then he goes on to say that slap and tap are a waste of time without an amp, since you can't hear it properly.
http://www.rondomusic.net/ba1565.html

^ That might be alright. I've got a 10watt Ibanez bass amp, myself. They're actually incredibly good. The Microcube of the bass world, IMO. Good luck trying to find one, though. (I found mine at a small local store for $80) =\
Enough stupid posts. The guy CAN'T take an amp with him.

Your best option remains to be purchasing a V-Amp [or something like it].
Quote by Rhinosaur Bones
I don't think the point here is to try and figure out ways to hide mistakes in your playing...he's saying that you should be listening for mistakes so you can fix them. And then he goes on to say that slap and tap are a waste of time without an amp, since you can't hear it properly.

You misunderstood. He was saying "with an amp you can hear youre mistakes better", and i disagree, thinking its just as easy to hear your mistakes unplugged, and lots of times, dudes mess with the EQ or some effects enough that you cant hear the mistakes well at all.

And now that you explained part 2: i disagree, if you're good at tapping or slapping, you should be able to hear yourself doing both no problem whatsoever, i've tapped jingle bells unplugged to 3 friends in a medium sized room, and they could hear it fine (not saying im good.. just look at the song i chose :P just saying it matters how hard you press down. Oh and also your bass will determine the unplugged volume a lot.)
^I hear you Manga, but whatever you say, there is simply no substitue for playing through an amp where you can hear what you are doing. Yeah you can get by, blah blah, but you need an amp IMO. Without one, you have to pluck harder, tap harder, slap harder to generate volume. Amps were designed to generate volume so use one !!

And also, the low notes are barely audible unless you pluck like you're posessed..

Of course, this is all just my opinion. If it works for you, cool.
Quote by mangablade
lots of times, dudes mess with the EQ or some effects enough that you cant hear the mistakes well at all.

That is very true. Even i'm guilty of adding a thick layer of reverb and delay.
Quote by Applehead
^I hear you Manga, but whatever you say, there is simply no substitue for playing through an amp where you can hear what you are doing. Yeah you can get by, blah blah, but you need an amp IMO. Without one, you have to pluck harder, tap harder, slap harder to generate volume. Amps were designed to generate volume so use one !!

And also, the low notes are barely audible unless you pluck like you're posessed..

Of course, this is all just my opinion. If it works for you, cool.

actually, im gonna have to side with manga on this one, late at night when i usually practice, im unplugged, and hear everything just fine, including tapping and slapping. i **** my head a little to the side so i can be nearer my bass and hurts my neck

the only bass that gives me a bit of trouble with this is me frettless, which i can usually still play rather audably, and without that god awful buzzing the j pup is starting to make.
Quote by Mr. T
"Mr. T defines love as the reluctance to murder. If you're still alive, it's because Mr. T loves you."
Note the key phrases:

"Late at night" and "hurts my neck".

Play with a damn amp you mad people!!

Thank you and goodnight
i think the best solution is just to quit playing bass all together

but seriously, as others suggested, you might want to invest in a acoustic bass. i don't really know anything about college or school bands, but if the one you're going to has a band, maybe you can just bring your amp (or atleast a small practice amp) anyway and if you get caught just say you're in the school band.
Quote by mangablade

i second this as well. I'm not plucking hard and i can hear my bass fairly well...i also find it easier to hear fret buzz because as manga said later, eq can hide mistakes, much like distortion can hide sloppy playing. If worst comes to worse, and you can't bring a small amp, just play unplugged
Quote by Soma3009
An interesting Thread. IN BIZARRO WORLD! HAH.

Quote by FakePlsticTrees
and props, clapping and bows to you mantiscabinet.
I frequently play basses unplugged, it kind of helps to give the their "raw" sound. It also makes you fingers play harder, forming better calouses(sp?). I think the amp should enhance your playing for others to hear it louder (amplified!) and not control your sound. Just my 2 cents worth.
Quote by Applehead
Note the key phrases:

"Late at night" and "hurts my neck".

Play with a damn amp you mad people!!

Thank you and goodnight

i understand "hurts my neck," but whats late at night got to do with this? i get up for school at 6:30, go straight to work from there till 9, so when else am i supposed to practice?
Quote by Mr. T
"Mr. T defines love as the reluctance to murder. If you're still alive, it's because Mr. T loves you."
for the record: i dont have to move my head position at all, i can seriously hear the bass just fine, the same way you can hear laptop speakers, sure they arent as loud as PC speakers you'd buy, but you cant say their inaudible.

But seriously Applehead, besides the one "agreed about the m-box" or something comment, you've just been trying to push the guy to use an amp when he says its not really an option.
The tascam cd/bass trainer sounds like the best idea

but you will probably be allowed to bring a small practice amp after a few weeks
Quote by Sirnogbert
...Damn you.
Quote by mangablade

But seriously Applehead, besides the one "agreed about the m-box" or something comment, you've just been trying to push the guy to use an amp when he says its not really an option.

Yeah, my bad. I'm just saying that i have been to Uni and lived in halls and so many people bring their amps. Like i said before, if it works for you then cool.
Buy a pedal with headphones out on them.

not sure but with the right cables you maybe able to get it out of any pedal

or another suggestion, take the head out of your amp and just run headphones out of it
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
I usually can't hear my bass that well unplugged, especially the E and A strings. Using an effects pedal seems to be working ok, thanks to all who suggested that.
Quote by opivy21

Quote by primusfan
Page 1 of 2