My Fender Strat is getting chronic feedback/noise when the pick-up selector switch is set to any single pickup. Here's some more symptoms:

- amount and volume of feedback/noise varies according to the angle I hold the guitar. Some angles, eg, face down, there is no feedback/noise at all.
- there is no feedback/noise when the pick-up switch is set to a combination setting. The humbucker on the bridge (it's a fat strat) gets a little feedback, but not nearly as bad as the other two.
- the lead is not the problem, and I'm pretty sure it's not a problem with where the lead connects into either. I mean, it could be, but I took it apart and looked at it and it seemed ok.
- feedback/noise is much worse on distortion

Anyone had this problem before? What is it, and how do I fix it?

Cheers,

Kris.
single coils generally feedback....humbuckers not so much....maybe your over reacting or maybe its other electrical devices in the room. try moving it about or invest into some noiseless single coils
Founder Of The "Jimmy Page Stole All Of My Potential Riffs" Club PM To Join!.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Meh, I usually just buy them off the local shaman, unless I'm in the wilderness, where I rely on raw meat to raise my HP.
theres nothing wrong. ^hes right its normal for pickups to hum, even humbuckers will hum slightly. electrical appliances oso make a difference in the humming, happens to me everytime i stand to close to my tv.
Quote by Kris_man
My Fender Strat is getting chronic feedback/noise when the pick-up selector switch is set to any single pickup. Here's some more symptoms:

- amount and volume of feedback/noise varies according to the angle I hold the guitar. Some angles, eg, face down, there is no feedback/noise at all.
- there is no feedback/noise when the pick-up switch is set to a combination setting. The humbucker on the bridge (it's a fat strat) gets a little feedback, but not nearly as bad as the other two.
- the lead is not the problem, and I'm pretty sure it's not a problem with where the lead connects into either. I mean, it could be, but I took it apart and looked at it and it seemed ok.
- feedback/noise is much worse on distortion

Anyone had this problem before? What is it, and how do I fix it?

Cheers,

Kris.

60Hz hum i do believe. anyway you could try shielding your guitar in all possible spaces and also try star grounding that could also work. but really you could live with a little hum its not gonna make you a bad guitarist
What kind of Amp are you using, I need the watttage also. What kind of cables? Are you looping an effects pedal in the mix as well? if so how? Are you using a 2 or 3 prong plug from you amp? Are there any TVs are Radios on, or computers near your amp? OR plugged into the same outlet?
Let me know I have alot of strats and could be some help. I had same problems with a few of mine also.
"I am not mean, I just mean what I say"
"The Truth is Eternal"

I am working to put Michigans West Coast on the map. With my new studio: L E studios @copyright 2006.... set to open in fall of 2007
Your probably just standing too close to your amp, stand as far away as you can, and face away from it. . .

edit: my strat feeds back like crazy when I'm close to my amp (less than 2 feet) but I like it, and it's very easy to control. . .
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
Thanks for the tips guys, but there's feedback, and then there's FEEDBACK. I've had the guitar for 6 years, this is abnormal noise.

Quote by bigpawz
What kind of Amp are you using, I need the watttage also. What kind of cables? Are you looping an effects pedal in the mix as well? if so how? Are you using a 2 or 3 prong plug from you amp? Are there any TVs are Radios on, or computers near your amp? OR plugged into the same outlet?
Let me know I have alot of strats and could be some help. I had same problems with a few of mine also.

Appreciate the reply man. Marshall practice amp 15W, cables I dunno, random ones. There is a Zoom GFX pedal as well, which works as a medium between the amp and the guitar. Not using a multiplug. Thing is though, I've been using that setup for ages, and never got feedback like this before.

There may well have been a TV on, now you mention it, because I was filming myself playing. I'll test this out when I get home.
Well with a 15watt amp, I wouldnt worry about feedback. When you graduate to a 100watt head with a cabinet or a Fender twin 100, you will not notice the little things then. Those kinda amps are wired better and insulated as well. You are probably getting feedback because you have to turn that thing up so loud to get grind out of it. With a larger amp, you will not have to turn the volume up as high. This is known as fidelity.
"I am not mean, I just mean what I say"
"The Truth is Eternal"

I am working to put Michigans West Coast on the map. With my new studio: L E studios @copyright 2006.... set to open in fall of 2007