I've been in the market for a new guitar for a little while, kinda just browsing between new and used. I'd been thinking of getting an RG1570, maybe a hellraiser FR. Also had been putting up the idea of getting a used RG off ebay and upgrading it. But I've been thinking, how necessary is a trem? I'd be using it pretty much for soloing. I notice that a lot of guys don't really use it and still have great solos: ie. Wylde, Hetfield at times solos, it seems that even Hammett doesnt use it a lot either. But I really like slayer and i know they use it quite a bit. But I'm a little stuck as to whether I should get a new guitar with a trem, or just upgrade my current one with some new pups. What do you all think? THanks.
Well do you want one or not, this is such a you deicision it is unbelievable.
Why did Pat Metheney cross the road? He didn't, his hair got in the way
--
Member #1 of Ibanez > You club. PM me to join
I think they can be good to have, but not as a main guitar in my case.

I would keep the schecter you have, and get a trem guitar to compliment it....

A used RG520 or RG570 would be a great deal!

This is exactly what I have done, and my rig covers everything now! Really amazing versatility!
It's not really necessary, but it fun to play with and could spice up your riffs and solos. There are guys who use it alot (VH, Vai, Satch, etc) and there are some don't.

the only bad thing about them is re- stringing, which can be confusing for a beginner and take up more time than stringing a normal hardtail

and i second the dude above me, get a trem guitar to compliment your schecter!
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.
-Jimi Hendrix
Tremolos is all about your genre's and your type of music, your taste of music heavily influence you. You dont buy it if this comes into your mind, "hey, i wanna try one out" or "that looks cool, i want one". There are some certain use of the trem:

1) You lightly use it, therefore it becomes just an instrument for simple vibratos and spicing up your solos ex. Malmsteen/Petrucci
2) You heavily use it, abuse it, making it your playing style and getting the tone you want out of it, ex. Vai/Satch.

You have to decide which one you really are, if you just wanna try them out, i suggest you set it up good and try one at stores, otherwise dont get it. Some guitar players like Paul gave up his trem in his early RG7xx series/signature PG30 and just block it then had it removed just because he lightly use it anymore.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
I know I'd have some use for one, especially since the older 80's metal uses it in solos a lot, but then I'm wondering if it's necessary because a lot of people solo without it, but I think that liek you said madpickin, it can help expand and get a cool tone. I think that like Ibanez said, it's a good compliment to my string thru. I was thinking of getting a used RG off ebay and putting an Edge Pro/ OFR and some new pups in.
sooner or later my VS100 is gonna get the boot. I've been looking at amp heads from marshall, and i cam across the mode four head. i heard some sound samples and it sounds like what i'm lookin for.
has anyone used it or own it?
or if ur gonna recommend another head, then its $1000 maximum.
Jackson Dk2M
LTD James Hetfield Truckster
1969 Gibson Les Paul Custom

ZOOM Fire 36
Marhsall Valvestate VS100
Black Box modeling device

Digitech Whammy
Boss Metalzon
Boss SuperChorus
Boss DD3
DunlopCrybaby from Hell
ooops.......
wrong thread. sorry guys
Jackson Dk2M
LTD James Hetfield Truckster
1969 Gibson Les Paul Custom

ZOOM Fire 36
Marhsall Valvestate VS100
Black Box modeling device

Digitech Whammy
Boss Metalzon
Boss SuperChorus
Boss DD3
DunlopCrybaby from Hell
I like having a trem really because it's one more cool thing to fiddle around with on the guitar. Also, bombs are fun to do.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
Trems are kinda meh. There good for adding a "color" if you will, to your solos, but all that dive bombing, and squeals are more boring than playing xbox.
first question you should ask yourself is are you willing to put up your time to work it out to set it up? then do you like to change tunings? are you prepared of saving a few dollars for something less quality wise? do you plan on playing songs that require them?