I've got a pretty simple question.
What's the difference between a half stack and a full stack amp and what are the pros and cons of each one. And if it depends on what type of music I play, I play classic rock, AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix and all that good stuff
a halfstack has just one cabinet and a full stack has 2 cabinets, halfstack=loud fullstack=LOUDER
Quote by asfastasdark
+1. This man knows his ****.

Walker Rose.
Half stack is the amp head and 1 cabinet. A full stack is an amp head with 2 cabinets. Uh pros of half stack, easier to bring around than a full stack. Full stack pros, louder. Lol
Epiphone Goth Les Paul Studio
Ibanez SA120
Peavey Raptor EXP
Takamine Electric Acoustic
Boss CS-3
Boss DD-6
Boss TU-2
Boss MT-2 (For use with my Vox)
MXR M-108 10-Band Eq
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Peavey JSX Head
Vox AD50VT
You, sir, are a mega newb. A half stack and a full stack are essentially the same thing, the full stack just gives you a more surrounding sound really. instead of one speaker cabinet, you have two. The sound depends on the amp head, not whether its full or half. You really only need either if your going to be doing some larger gigs.
The Adults Are Talking.
Quote by demonspeeding05
You really only need either if your going to be doing some larger gigs.

So many people have way too many watts and can't run there amp at a good volume spot.
Quote by JesseIbanez
Half stack is the amp head and 1 cabinet. A full stack is an amp head with 2 cabinets. Uh pros of half stack, easier to bring around than a full stack. Full stack pros, louder. Lol

Not a crazy amount louder. And, by the way, pro's also use 1x12 combos as well so its not really a big issue in terms of who uses what.
unless your a succesfulish local band i really dont think you would ever need either
1 cab = deafening
2 cabs = deathening

j/k

It isn't that much louder, it's just fuller and more complete.
Quote by srvman
unless your a succesfulish local band i really dont think you would ever need either

You'll never need a full stack unless you're playing un-miced. Its a preference in sound and well...you know...looks.
yeh a agree its a bit like a ferrari in a traffic jam, you dont really need it but it sure does look and sound great.
Quote by srvman
yeh a agree its a bit like a ferrari in a traffic jam, you dont really need it but it sure does look and sound great.

That is one of the greatest analogies I have ever heard----
The added speaker cabinet does not increase the level (what some call volume) of the sound, it increases the origin points of the sound (coverage). Perception of volume may increase due to the added speakers, but the power of the amplifier is now divided in half and is sent to both speaker cabinets.

These are the real questions you need to ask yourself...

1. What's the average size of the venues I am currently playing in?
2. If that average venue is full, how will those bodies absorb the sound (more bodies to absorb the sound waves = less volume in the back rows)?
3. Does the house/band PA have enough channels so I can get away with micing my current amp?
4. Am I happy with my miced sound through the PA?

A lot of this is guess work. The only way to tell for sure is to get some time in the venue to test setups with different cabinets. And even though you test, you WILL sound different when the room is filled. For example, Eric Johnson often uses a 100 watt Marshall with 2 4x12 cabs, but for smaller venues, he'll use a 50 watt Marshall with a single 4x12.

Hope this helps...
this is a full stack :

this is a half stack:

half/full stacks consist of 2 components, the head, and the " cab" (short for cabinet )

the head is the box with the knobs sitting on top. the cab is the big box the head is sitting on. half stack = 1 cab, full stack = 2 cabs
MY GEAR :
2000 Jackson SL-3 Soloist
Roland Cube 60
Boss Metal Zone
Dunlop 535q Wah
Shitty DS-1 (AKA Teh Pap3rWeIgHt)

Quote by Nole07
i have like 30 bucks to spend. and i wanna know from first hand experience does it make pp's huge? thanks
Last edited by Jackson > you at Sep 5, 2006,