Page 1 of 2
I have this book, called The Art of Kirk Hammett and it has these tabs of 33 Metallica solo's in it.. so how do I start ?

Ive only played for one year and imo I pretty suck at it.. (Im playing the riffs from Seek&Destroy, Enter Sandman.. some blink 182 stuff and good charlotte stuff) but anyway Id like to learn solo's now, I know it will probably take a lot of time and practise..
but I have like no idea where to start.. Well maybe the Metallica solo's aren't such good starters solo's so I tried the Psycho solo from System of a Down and The Chronicles of life and death from Good Charlotte but they don't feel like real solo's to me

Does anyone know what solo is really good to start with and gives you some solo skills
try knockin' on heaven's door by guns n roses. Classic solo, very simple. try the website www.freelicks.net. They have these awesome video lessons that take you through things step by step!
Quote by Freddy_Walker
stevo 192 lol mate u a beast! Such a rebel!!!

'90 Fender P-bass lyte
Squier P bass special
Trace Elliot Series 6 head and cabs
Fender American Stratocaster
Vintage Teisco electric guitar
Fender princeton 650 dsp amp
Learn a scale. Learn the role each note plays in the scale. Mess around for a while with that and keep creating new stuff as progress with that.

To play a solo isnt something that can be learned from dictionary.com, but rather learned by jumping right into fire.

*edit* sorry i really didnt read what u wrote cuase im eating right now (lazy UGer) but that is advice if u want to make ur own solos =) im glad i can be of no help
meow :3
the solo in your book, nothing else matters solo is real easy and slow so u can start with it then look to maybe the harmonic solo in Master of puppets? its pretty easy to and then play lots of scales and your fingers will become faster then u can attempt other solos, or alternatively you can just pick a solo and play it slowly building up speed everyday until at somepoint you reach full speed but thats not a very benefitial teqnique to benifit your soloing as a whole
No Remebol, you were of help to me, a bit

and pretty funny you just metioned 2 solo's that arent in my book, ch715dallat!
But there are 3 scales in the book with info and diagrams but I cant really make any sense out of scales yet.. Ill try though

Thanks Stevo192! Ive just finished learning the Knocking on Heavens door solo! Wait did I just learn my first solo??! Im feeling awesome!, It feels awesome! I can't wait to learn more solo's!! but for now Id better improve my Knocking on Heavens door timing first and have a look at them scales
Last edited by Cizzie at Sep 4, 2006,
Well I think I can play Knockin' on Heaven's door 1st solo pretty solid now, any other good really good beginner solo's?
van halen stuff is pretty begginner, some of it
Quote by Freepower

B) Think. This may be hard if you havent done it before, so start slow and with a metronome.

Quote by Punk Poser
What's in my wallet:
Broken Dreams, crushed oppurtinitues, and an old condom.

Quote by PooKoo
well, we are pricks, but were arrogant, not ignorant.
If you really want to learn to solo and start off good and easy it dosn't hurt to start somewhere in the blues, theres some great blues solos that are very simple, eventually working your way into more complex metal stuff.
My Gear-
Gibson SG Junior
52' Hot Rod Tele
American Deluxe Strat
Yamaha Cg-104
Fender Twin (white)
Boss CH1
Boss OC-3
DOD overdrive
Fulltone OCD
Arbiter Fuzz Face
Vox Wah
BBE Sonic Stomp
Dunlop Univibe
I think it is good to learn the pentatonic shapes, and then learn solos by alot of classic rock bands like Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, etc. They aren't to hard and are great practice for using Pentatonic scales (they are probably diagramed in your book, Hammet used them alot.)

After you nail a few Zep solos, you can use your fancy scale knowladge to mess around and play then your own way.

The reason I say to learn the simple scales though is that it makes it so much easier to play solos that use them, just because you know where the notes are coming from and, from playing the pentatonic scale over and over again, the solos will come pretty easy for you.
Yeah Ive been looking at some scale info and stuff but Im not really getting it Ill ask my guitar teacher about it!

And I think im gonna give the Nothing Else Matters solo a try
Learn the Minor Pentitonic scale, in the "E" position and all of its modes.
2009 Engl Powerball 100watt
1985 Marshall 1960a 4x12 with G12-65s
1989 Ibanez 540S LTD DY
2006 Epiphone G-400
I know some scales now, the minor pentatonic in all its positions, the D natural harmonic and the blues scale in most positions
I can also play the Nothing else matters solo pretty good now,
and have gained some speed!

Should the Fade to Black intro solo be a good solo to further expand my soloing skills or wouldnt that solo improve much?
^Thanks
Though Id rather not learn long solo's since I get bored with things very easily
Fade to Black intro is a great solo, I would suggest learning it. It is out of a Natural Minor scale if you havn't learned about that yet (it's the 6th mode of the major scale).

It is easy for the most part, but it has this tough sweep/economy picking lick in the middle that can be hard to nail (I still havn't got it perfect, and I've been working on it forever).
^ Oke, thanks, I'll watch out for that hard part
I think Im gonna start practising it in about 1 week since I have this ****ty lame stupid useless test week at school and I'd better not get slurped up by my guitar this week
I dunno if this what you're really asking but...

When I write a solo I tend to write four bars of chord progression beforehand to give a basic outline of what the first note of each bar will be

If that makes any sense...
Paranoid is kinda short and do-able, although the faster bits later on aren't easy. Learning scales or looking at that Free Riffs site are the best two pieces of advice I can give you.
Quote by WlCmToTheJungle
if ur going to play some american idiot stuff heres the settings:

Master Volume : 0
i dunno about the rest
Allright, thanks

and GiantRaven, no Im not looking for info on creating solo, but hey, thanks anyway!
^ Trust me, just learning solos wont be helpful at all. Lets say your playing a solo in front of people. All of a sudden you forget whats next, or you mess up. You dont know anythign about scales so you cant really do anythign except stop or wait. If you know scales, and what key the solo is in and stuff, you would be able to just continue using the scale and it wouldnt look bad at all.

Yea, after liek a month or somehting of soloing, fade to black should be great for you.

As for scales and such, which i highly recommend you to learn, start off with the minor pentatonic scale. Learn all its shapes, all over the fretboard. Then, start on the major scale. Learn all the modes and learn how to play it all over the fretboard, how they fit together, etc. I wrote an interesting lesson on that and also how you can switch between minor pentatonics and the modes mid-solo. Check it out: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/guitar_techniques/hopscotch_method_part_2.html

Keep up and keep practicing
Alta Vera - My real life alternative rock band.
Ashen Spire - My personal metal band.

Super Mario, F-Zero & Dragonball Z covers!

PSN: whatev27

Let me ask you, does a machine like yourself ever experience fear?

^ Thanks for your advice !
Though I think you kind of missed a thing,
When I created this post, about 2 months ago,
I knew nothing about scales and keys and sort of stuff
now I can play all the positions of the minor pentatonic(it just depends on the note you start on right? on the 6th string?) the blues scale and the D natural harmonic
Though Im not quite understanding 'the key of a song' thing..
How do you know in which key a song is and in which scale a solo is when there are al lot of 'borrowed' notes?

Well before christmas I want to learn how to solidly play:
Fade to black intro solo
Little wing intro solo/rythm thingy
Smells like teen spirit solo
Purple Haze solo

Im curious how it works out.
Last edited by Cizzie at Nov 6, 2006,
Thats good then, continue with the major scale!

Ok about knowing which key the song is and which scale a lick is in, this is what I do basically. Lets say the fade to black intro:

------------------------|-----------------------------|
---------------------7--|----------7-8S-10~------8-10-|
------------------7--L--|-----------------------------|
--------------/9--------|--9~-------------------------|

|-----3----|                                                      
   Q     Q    Q       H             E   S   S  E   E   E   E  E  E   
--------------------------------|-----------------------------------|
--12----10----8----8g10~--------|---L--12p-10p-8s--7h--8p--7-----7--|
--------------------------------|-----------------------------9-----|

|----3----|                                 
    E.  S E  E  Q    Q    Q       Q      H         E   E    
-------------------------------|---------------------------|
--7g8---7-L-----7--------------|---------------------------|
-------------9-------9----7----|-----------------------7s--|
-------------------------------|--7----7g9~--------9\------|

H         E  E   E  E     H        Q.     E       H.            E   S  S  
-------------------------|----------------------|-----------------------14-|
----------------------8--|--7--------L------8s--|--10~---------------15----|
--6~--------L--7s--6-----|----------------------|--------------------------|
-------------------------|----------------------|--------------------------|

If you look closely and kinda take those notes on the bigger picture, you'll see theyre all basically one shape, which is the Aeolian, or Minor scale. Just keep playing notes up the scale as if its the minor scale, and if it sounds right, thats it. Next part:

--19-14-------15p-14---------------------------|
--------15-----------15----17-15-14------------|
-----------16-----------14----------16-14br----|
-----------------------------------------------|

|---3---|               
  Q.      S   S  Q.       S   S     E   E   E   E   S   S   S  E   E    E   
--------------------------------|------------------------------------------|
--------------------------------|----------14--15--14h-15p-14-----14h--15--|
--L------14h-16-----------------|--14--16---------------------16-----------|
----------------14~------14h-16-|------------------------------------------|

Now over time I got to know some sweep patterns and which scales they normally correspond to, and in this case, the first sweep consists of notes from the Phrygian mode. After playing that first sweep try playing:

E||--17-15-14----------------------------------------|-----||
B||-----------17-15-14-------------------------------|-----||
G||--------------------16-14-------------------------|-----||
D||--------------------------17-16-14----------------|-----||
A||-----------------------------------17-16-14-------|-----||
E||--------------------------------------------17-15-|--14-||

Youll find it sounds right, not very imaginative, but it sounds very right. That is the Phrygian mode.

As for the key of a song, Im not exactly sure I get it myself. I have found two ways that make sense and im not sure which one is correct. The first is that possibly the root of the first note you play is the key ur in, so for fade to black, at least the intro, it would be B minor. The other way is finding the ionian mode which plays over your progression correctly, which in this case is D. Im not sure which is right so dont take my word on this part.

^ Wow thanks!
It doenst make much sense to me yet but I'll deffinatly look at this later when Ive gathered some more scales and stuff!

Yea, i know its a complicated subject. If you ever need help let me know

The First Solo i learned was from Seek And Destory The Solo's From Kill 'Em All Is not as hard as it seems the best thing to do is take it slow.

Take one bit of the solo say the beggining Mesure Play Every Note as best as you can But slowly If you have to stop and correct your self along the way just keep at that part (don't go back to the Start and do it over again) once you have the section down bring it up to speed every day practise on that
It took me anywhere from 2-3days to get the solo all done and all correct but it has taken me 6 months (now in November) to get it perfect to speed and Time...and i say that i am proud of it

that go's for any solo just keep to it take it one step at a time

Metallica is surly not going to be the easiest but it will get your finguers rollin(Expecially anything from Kill 'Em All)
Alot of people posted some tips that are great just go with that as well.
-Hope tis helped
Steve
Keep oN rockin!
Member #2 of the dean owners club, PM g1asseye to join.

92% of teens have moved on to rap repost this if you are one of the 8% that listen to real music

Rock IN Peace Darrell Lance Abbott \m/
Last edited by The_Man_IV at Nov 6, 2006,
^Thanks thats useful
Im gonna try that Seek and Destroy or maybe Enter Sandman solo after I nailed those easier solo's as I mentioned above, to get a bit familair with soloing.
^ well actually, the fade to black solo is harder to play correctly than enter sandman. This is because the intro solo contains a version of sweeping, which is something which might take a while to master. Enter sandman is just basic pull offs, bends and minor pentatonics.

Wow ! I never knew that :P
but ehh I can play the fade to black solo, not at full speed yet but doesn't matter for now.
but what is the sweeping part ?? I can't seem to find it.. hehe
Wait a sec... what is sweeping?

|------------------------|---------12-13-15---12-13-15---17--|
|------------------------|-12-13-15----------------------15-----|
|------------------12-14-|-----------------------------------------|
|----------12-14-15------|----------------------------------------|
|-12-14-15---------------|----------------------------------------|
|------------------------|-------------------------------------------|
Is this the sweeping part? at the end of the intro solo..
I just pick that down
Quote by Cizzie
Wait a sec... what is sweeping?

|------------------------|---------12-13-15---12-13-15---17--|
|------------------------|-12-13-15----------------------15-----|
|------------------12-14-|-----------------------------------------|
|----------12-14-15------|----------------------------------------|
|-12-14-15---------------|----------------------------------------|
|------------------------|-------------------------------------------|
Is this the sweeping part? at the end of the intro solo..
I just pick that down

nope, thats just going up a scale.....and dont just pick it down lol. Thats a baaaad habit and if u get used to it it could be a problem. Im self taught so i started picking only down until like a year later or somehting someone told me thats wrong and especially when ur soloing, up-down (or alternate which it is commonly called) picking is the best way.

and sweeping, thats this part:

the first 6 notes or so. That should be played with a downstroke at the 19, then all upstrokes going down, but you dont really pick the note, you kinda brush the pick upwards as if your strumming a chord, but you pull your finger off each fret after you play it so it doesnt ring out. Like i said, it takes a while to get your hands synchronized but youll get it in time

when you get good at playing faster and doing different kinds of cycles up and down the chromatic scale ( also when your pink to ring finger fretting is strong enough) i strongly sudjest you learn how to improvise solo.

improvise/solo means:

YOu no longer have to go through countless hours of reading tab to learn solo's, when you can make up a solo out of your ass.
meow :3
Quote by NovemberRain273
nope, thats just going up a scale.....and dont just pick it down lol. Thats a baaaad habit and if u get used to it it could be a problem. Im self taught so i started picking only down until like a year later or somehting someone told me thats wrong and especially when ur soloing, up-down (or alternate which it is commonly called) picking is the best way.

and sweeping, thats this part:

the first 6 notes or so. That should be played with a downstroke at the 19, then all upstrokes going down, but you dont really pick the note, you kinda brush the pick upwards as if your strumming a chord, but you pull your finger off each fret after you play it so it doesnt ring out. Like i said, it takes a while to get your hands synchronized but youll get it in time

Just before I read your post I already realised the last part, the going up the scale (A natural minor, isn't it?) thingy sounded better when using alternate picking so thats not a problem anymore, hey I'm getting there!

And for the sweep picking, I'll spend some time with that. I'm sure it'll sound awesome!(when done right!)

You really explained things well

I owe you one,
your the master I'm the puppet from now on
Quote by Cizzie
Just before I read your post I already realised the last part, the going up the scale (A natural minor, isn't it?) thingy sounded better when using alternate picking so thats not a problem anymore, hey I'm getting there!

And for the sweep picking, I'll spend some time with that. I'm sure it'll sound awesome!(when done right!)

You really explained things well

I owe you one,
your the master I'm the puppet from now on

hahaha wow thanks i think ill sig that

btw that run up the scale is actually an E Phrygian mode

Do some worm-ups to get your speed down. That way you can dominate the Major and Penatonics like nothing else.

These helped me out alot with speed

E|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
B|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
G|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
D|----------------------------------------------------8--------------8----8---------|
A|-----------5-------------5---5-------------5-7-8---8-7-5-7-8----8----8-7-5-|
E|---5-7-8---8-7-5-7-8---8---8-7-5-7-8----------------------------------------|

E|---8h10h12p10p8h10h12p10p8-----------------------------------------------------------
B|----------------------------------------12p10p8h10h12p10p8------------------------------
G|---------------------------------------------------------------------12p10p9h10h12p10p9-
D|---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A|---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
E|---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------|
---12p10p9h10h12p10p9-----------------|
---------------------------------14~~~~~~-|

Don't be frighten by them, they are really not that hard. And as far as making some up, play out as melodic as you can a firm little melody. It doesn't have to be fast, just catchy. And that's kind of tuff, but let it come to you. After you've done that, play around a penatonic. That should get you started.
um personally i wouldnt bother with Blink 182 or good charlotte, cause frankly thay arent very skilled players
^ Yeah they're pretty unskilled..
but that was a while ago, I couldn't play anything more difficult than that
But now I play mostly Metallica stuff and some random stuff like Whiskey in the Jar and Purple Haze
Well, you're ahead of me. I would love to learn some kirk hammett solos, but i just cant play fast enough. then again, i only have a classical to play on, so i cant really jam out on my 21st frets.
You know how sometimes you get the feeling that nobody's really listening?

Yeah, welcome to the internet.
How about Led Zeppelin. Can any body play them? Besides Mark Tremonti's and Steve Vai's stuff, Led Zeppelin is definately the hardest to play
Page 1 of 2