im sorry if this has been done, but i was thinking that put chords that they used, and people could reply to those chords with scales that would sound good above said chords

ill start:

g chord

Bm 6

E9

d chord

d sus 2

(you guys replies with scales that would feel "at home" with these chords, in case you didnt understand )
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
Last edited by latinosuperstud at Sep 4, 2006,
no

simply because there is no one perfect scale to go over a certain chord...everyone's tastes in sound and scale usage will be shown with many different replies for each chord, thus resulting in chaos

pitch axis theory is a very hazy subject, especially for those only familiar with the minor pentatonic (about half of the members on this site)
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
well i realize that but i figured everyone would have their own opinion on what sounds good over a chord, and i might find there opinion to be good, but there is some theory based knowledge some that is supposed to help with this isnt there?
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13

Quote by SublimeGuitar

Alright.. Something like this, very basic? If I'm improvising over unfamiliar territory, this is the first step I take out of chord tones.

Major chords: Lydian
Minor chords: Dorian/Melodic Minor
Dominant chords: Altered or Lydian Dominant
sus2, sus4 chords: Dorian
sus (7sus4) chords: Mixolydian
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
dammit people learn your modes! If we're talking diatonic harmony (no accidentals), this is the (mostly) idiot-proof way of determining what mode goes with what chord scale degree.

I-Ionian
ii-Dorian
iii-Phrygian
IV-Lydian
V-Mixolydian
vi-Aeolian
vii-Locrian

and for pentatonics--
minor pentatonics for minor keys and blues
major pentatonics for major keys

now that we have that established, hit me with the jazz theory, altered scales, etc.
"You are amazed that it is so easy to infect men with the war fever, and you surmise that man has in him an active instinct for hatred and destruction... I entirely agree with you."

--Sigmund Freud in a letter to Albert Einstein

its really hard to just say, this scale will go over this chord. it also has a big dependence on what the chord is doing, the progression, and what sound you want out of the lead. for example, in a song i wrote i use the E maj pentatonic scale over an Esus4 chord. now you would think that i would use some scale where i can highlight that fourth in my chord, but instead i highlight the third thats an octave or 2 higher (cant remember which). i wanted to use the melody to give the feeling that the chord was major, so i chose that scale and usage. elvenkindje suggests dorian over sus4 chords, but E dorian wouldnt have fit my song or even really fit over my Esus4 chord because of the way i used it. for that reason its just hard to give a chord and ask what sounds good over it.
wow thanks thats alot more than i expected to learn
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13

Quote by SublimeGuitar

Quote by latinosuperstud
wow thanks thats alot more than i expected to learn

haha it's called music theory, it's been formulated and studied for hundreds of years. glad you're getting something out of it.
"You are amazed that it is so easy to infect men with the war fever, and you surmise that man has in him an active instinct for hatred and destruction... I entirely agree with you."

--Sigmund Freud in a letter to Albert Einstein