Could I replace passive pickups with some active ones? Or wouldn't this work because of electronics etc
Theres more to it than just putting them in, they have to be soldered in, a battery is used with actives etc. But yes you can put active pups in most guitars. I did in my Ibanez SZ720, not to hard but if you dont know how to solder than id recommend bringing it to ur local shop
Member #18 of the Ibanez SZ over RG Club! PM ibanez4life SZ! to join!

SZ720FM w/ EMG 81/85
Digitech GNX3000
Randall Warhead Combo
D'Addario .11's
Would it make battery access harder than it would on normal guitars? How much would the shop charge for them to fit them?

The reason I ask, is that I want to get a Jackson DXMG (it has passive EMGs) but I want to add an 81 and 85 later because I don't have the money to get the DKMG straight away.
Yes it is possible, if you have enough space for the preamp and batteries etc.

You also need to swap the pots.

So, other than the switch, you're completely replacing the electronics.

http://www.emginc.com/downloads/wiringdiagrams/Humbuckers_active.pdf
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
Sounds a bit complicated. How much would a guitar shop charge to fit a couple of actives?
Hopefully not a lot, since it's very simple to do.
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
This may sound slightly off topic but is there any advantage or disadvantage on passive vs active?
With active pickups you NEED a 9-volt battery. Also, when you're low on batteries and it begins to screw up, your pickups start picking up the radio.

It's mainly personal preference between passive or active when it comes to tone.
Member #10 of the Final Fantasy VII fan club. PM syyz1 to join.

Quote by SGFREAK
just imagine playing slide on that wangcaster lol