YES

It's perfectly fine to use a pick with a bass. Some people prefer to use fingers, and some like a pick. Use whichever you feel like. Learn how to play with both though.

Mods, delete or close if you feel, I just needed to get this out.
I don't get why people use picks. The majority of bass players that pick suck. Look at Shavo from SOAD, no talent and plays it like a guitar. It's easier and faster to use your fingers, plus it sounds and looks cooler.
Quote by BigRudy
I disagree Slipknot is more technical than Necrophagist and more brutal than Suffocation, that's why I do hardcore dances to it with my 14 year old friends.
Quote by BadBishop
I don't get why people use picks. The majority of bass players that pick suck. Look at Shavo from SOAD, no talent and plays it like a guitar. It's easier and faster to use your fingers, plus it sounds and looks cooler.

i wouldnt say faster in all cases. two words. alternate picking. but i agree with threadstarter. learn both.
Quote by BadBishop

Not really John Paul Jones used a pick on ocassion.
||||||||
||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||
||||||||||||||||
||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Touche, noscottno. I say learn both, but don't think that you're cool for using a pick w/ a bass. I've met some that do, and they sound really bad/stupid/both.
Jesus for president. PM me to join the campaign. or just sig it.

Of course God has a sense of humor. Look at the Platypus...

Member #9 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to inquire about joining.
meh, I'm more of a fingerstyle guy (bass and guitar)

and I can alt pick with my index finger, and get pick-ish tone from fingernails.
Well, you just made another one, and didn't help anything at all. You posted a thread on an over-discussed topic. Great job.

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.