Page 1 of 2
Crate Blue Voodoo 60 watt combo. Check Ebay, you can get them cheap and they soundl sick!
peavey valve king 112 should suit you
MY gear
Vintage v100 les paul.
POS Ion strat
Vox ad50vt
15 watt practice amp
Ibanez rg570
^ The VK sounds like SS

Go used. Maybe a XXX if you can get a good deal....oorr get a cube (you wont get much for metal in your price range...save up or get a cube and have a little extra)
GEAR

Amps:
Vox AC30cc1
Peavey Transtube

Guitars:
Powerhouse Strat with lace sensors
D-16GT

Effects:
DD20
Classic Crybaby
Rat 2
Phase 90
TU-2
SM57
Quote by chris24789
peavey valve king 112 should suit you

thats not a full tube is it ? im positive its not but damn if it is a full tube ... they ****ed up pretty bad w/ it.

the cube isnt a tube lmao ... its like a SS I think
Quote by ?.?.? ³
thats not a full tube is it ? im positive its not but damn if it is a full tube ... they ****ed up pretty bad w/ it.

the cube isnt a tube lmao ... its like a SS I think

yep the valveking sure is, i figured the cube isnt lol....
damn I heard the valveking was some weird hybrid or something idk what it was called exactly but I heard its like half tube and then half SS or something
No the cube isnt tube, but many metal guitarists use ss because of the edge it gives.

i would prob go with a cube and spend the rest on other stuff (pedals or pickups maybe?)
GEAR

Amps:
Vox AC30cc1
Peavey Transtube

Guitars:
D-16GT

Effects:
DD20
Classic Crybaby
Rat 2
Phase 90
TU-2
SM57
peavey says its all tube as well lol....

http://peavey.com/products/browse.cfm/action/detail/item/116188/number/00575640/cat/308/begin/1/ValveKing%AE+112+Combo.cfm

and on the page before that it says:

"ValveKing® 112 Combo
Item #: 00575640
The Peavey ValveKing® Series is a new, all-tube guitar amp line combining boutique features and hot-rodded tones with legendary Peavey reliability ..."
Last edited by darkfir3 at Sep 5, 2006,
I bought a Peavey Valve King 2x12 two months ago, it's not all tube. It's a tube amp with solid state circuitry mixed (that's why it has that knob on the back - to switch between tube or solid state or mix.) I play a lot of the same stuff you probably do, Dream Theater, Megadeth, instrumental (Satch, Friedman, Vai, Johnson) and other stuff... The Valve King has a nice clean channel, but the distortion seems to be directed towards rock. You can scoop the mids, but why? It still doesn't sound 'metal'/heavy. Did I mention that my VK2x12 died within 2 days?! I got to play it for about 10 minutes the night I bought it, then 2 days later I plugged in and it made the strangest noise I've ever heard (kinda like a siren, and it was loud)?! Returned it and got a Peavey XXL 2x12 which I was thinking of getting in the 1st place. Check out the XXL 2x12, I doubt you'll find one new, Peavey stopped making the 2x12 combo. The store I got mine from had one left in the back. Amazing amp, for a solid state amp you'd be amazed, you'll turn it around and expect to find tubes. Can go from blues to all out metal and anything in between, unbelievable amp. Very versatile, 3 different voicings for each of its 3 channel.
I'd recommend looking for a used Peavey XXX Super 40
#4 member of UG's gain \/\/hores-pm gpderek09 to join
Quote by Guitarmiester
I bought a Peavey Valve King 2x12 two months ago, it's not all tube. It's a tube amp with solid state circuitry mixed (that's why it has that knob on the back - to switch between tube or solid state or mix.) I play a lot of the same stuff you probably do, Dream Theater, Megadeth, instrumental (Satch, Friedman, Vai, Johnson) and other stuff... The Valve King has a nice clean channel, but the distortion seems to be directed towards rock. You can scoop the mids, but why? It still doesn't sound 'metal'/heavy. Did I mention that my VK2x12 died within 2 days?! I got to play it for about 10 minutes the night I bought it, then 2 days later I plugged in and it made the strangest noise I've ever heard (kinda like a siren, and it was loud)?! Returned it and got a Peavey XXL 2x12 which I was thinking of getting in the 1st place. Check out the XXL 2x12, I doubt you'll find one new, Peavey stopped making the 2x12 combo. The store I got mine from had one left in the back. Amazing amp, for a solid state amp you'd be amazed, you'll turn it around and expect to find tubes. Can go from blues to all out metal and anything in between, unbelievable amp. Very versatile, 3 different voicings for each of its 3 channel.

oooh....well if u use all tube, its just full tube and it doesnt go hybrid or anything right?....im wanting a real tube amp... i like the sound of it, and i get bragging rights lol... so if u switch to tube its authentic tube right? Also, whats a good overdrive pedal, I was looking at the Zakk Wylde Overdrive but is there anyothers that give a good metal sound
well i should be going to the local guitar shop today, it seems like they pretty much specialize in peavy amps, so they might have an xxl, so ill try it out, and they also might have a valvking and ill see which i like of the two
Blues Junior.
*Taylor 214ce Acoustic
*Fender Highway One Honey Blonde Strat (Fralin Pickups)
*Epiphone Zephyr Regent (Gibson '57 Humbucker)
*Vox 847 Wah
*Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
*Fender Blues Deluxe Amp
Quote by Jet11608
^ The VK sounds like SS

Go used. Maybe a XXX if you can get a good deal....oorr get a cube (you wont get much for metal in your price range...save up or get a cube and have a little extra)

wtf? it's alltube isn't it?
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
The VK's have a 'texture' knob in the back, you can rotate it towards Class A or Class A/B, or anywhere in between. It's definitely a hybrid amp with solid state technology. Like I said, great clean channel,very loud amp, but the distortion is far from heavy. The 2x12 is better than the 1x12, the resonance and presence knobs make a big difference.
^^to all the above idiotic posts

The Peavey Valveking is all tube! the texture knob in the back has nothing to do with switching between SS and tube...it simply changes the power put into the tubes...educate yourselves on class a and b amps...

to get my point across again :

the valveking is all tube!

and id reccomend it to the threadstarter
Musicians Friend is false advertising then, is says all tube amp and its even under the all tube category. Well, what are some other good tube amps under $400. What about the F30, I cant find a price so I dont know how much they are. I really want something as close to John Petruccis amp sound as possible with out spending $3000 on a Mesa/Boogie lol....
Quote by lespaul_jube
^^to all the above idiotic posts

The Peavey Valveking is all tube! the texture knob in the back has nothing to do with switching between SS and tube...it simply changes the power put into the tubes...educate yourselves on class a and b amps...

to get my point across again :

the valveking is all tube!

and id reccomend it to the threadstarter

lol... Ok Im glad, I thought Id found the perfect tube amp for my budget and BAM! someone tells me its not tube lol....
Dude trust me on this, the valveking is a great amp and its been reliable to me. I've had it since last february I believe and its never given me problems. What you should do is use an OD pedal to boost the dirty channel, that really makes it sing. The clean channel is awesome too. And to all these people saying its like half SS half tube dont know what the hell theyre talking about. The control in the back lets you choose Class AB or A circuitry which gives a little different tone. Anyway I'd highly recommend it
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Quote by beau05
I'd say country or bluegrass would be pretty difficult, for being inbred is a pre-requisite
Quote by Rude Mood
Dude trust me on this, the valveking is a great amp and its been reliable to me. I've had it since last february I believe and its never given me problems. What you should do is use an OD pedal to boost the dirty channel, that really makes it sing. The clean channel is awesome too. And to all these people saying its like half SS half tube dont know what the hell theyre talking about. The control in the back lets you choose Class AB or A circuitry which gives a little different tone. Anyway I'd highly recommend it

whatd be the best overdrive pedal to give it that dream theater/metal/shred sound...i was thinking a BOSS super overdrive....
Mesa's are waaaay out of the $300-$400 price range! The F30 goes for around $900-$1000 new, can't remember. The F30 is alright, but the F50 actually sounds better. I tried an F-30 earlier this year, didn't really impress me, the F50 was alittle better though.

Back to the VK... oooh, maybe I made a mistake, who cares. I even had a musiciansfriend.com magazine that said the VK is tube with some solid state circuitry. Not too sure how much/little 'some solid state circuitry' would be. I know the texture knob had some effect on tone, but also controlled some of its power - full to half power.

Just my opinion, I don't think it suits metal or shred, definitely doesn't come close to Petrucci's tone(s). Great amp for the money, but the VK is, in my opinion, more for rockers. Sure, you could scoop the mids, boost highs and lows, and put an OD in front of it... if that's what you like, go for it. ANy music stores near you have a VK to try out? Really the only way you'll find out if it's what YOU want.

Again, my opinions and what I thought of it when I tried it out and had one.
just because there's a huge circuit board in your amp doesn't mean it's SS at all. and i would really look for used stuff, it's so totally great for so totally less money.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
^ arent many places that have used stuff around here, and our ebay account is messed up for some odd reason.... im gonna try guitar center sometime.... should be this weekend i dont know though.

Edit: Are the peavey classic 30s tube?
Quote by Guitarmiester
Mesa's are waaaay out of the $300-$400 price range! The F30 goes for around $900-$1000 new, can't remember. The F30 is alright, but the F50 actually sounds better. I tried an F-30 earlier this year, didn't really impress me, the F50 was alittle better though.

Back to the VK... oooh, maybe I made a mistake, who cares. I even had a musiciansfriend.com magazine that said the VK is tube with some solid state circuitry. Not too sure how much/little 'some solid state circuitry' would be. I know the texture knob had some effect on tone, but also controlled some of its power - full to half power.

Just my opinion, I don't think it suits metal or shred, definitely doesn't come close to Petrucci's tone(s). Great amp for the money, but the VK is, in my opinion, more for rockers. Sure, you could scoop the mids, boost highs and lows, and put an OD in front of it... if that's what you like, go for it. ANy music stores near you have a VK to try out? Really the only way you'll find out if it's what YOU want.

Again, my opinions and what I thought of it when I tried it out and had one.

The solid state circuitry might have been in reference to the solid state rectifier
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
....the Vk sounds like SS...

it doesnt sound like tube (so they can call it whatever they want.)
GEAR

Amps:
Vox AC30cc1
Peavey Transtube

Guitars:
D-16GT

Effects:
DD20
Classic Crybaby
Rat 2
Phase 90
TU-2
SM57
i just listened to some samples of the vox, i love the sound of it....but its not all tube...which i guess it doesnt matter if i like the sound....i think it gives a good petrucci/shred/metal sound. and its cheaper.... maybe i can afford a pedal then lol.... i dunno how loud these are... how what would be the best for bedroom jamming, practicing with a drummer, and small gigs? the 30 or the 50....so basically is the 30 watt loud enough to over power a loud drummer and possibly do a small gig with or will i have to go with the 50? (even then its probably not loud enough i dont know though)
i think the 50 has a better speaker...i dont remember

get the 50 if it does.
GEAR

Amps:
Vox AC30cc1
Peavey Transtube

Guitars:
D-16GT

Effects:
DD20
Classic Crybaby
Rat 2
Phase 90
TU-2
SM57
I haven't heard much about that Mesa before, maybe ask for some sound clips or something.

What Vox amp are you talking about? If it's one of the AD series, if you like it, go for it. But, modeling amps sound weak/thin when cranked. I jammed with a band a few years ago and couldn't lug my stack over (when I had a stack), they had this 30 watt SS Crate amp there, definitely didn't overpower the drummer. You could maybe pass it off at a small gig, as long as it's mic'd.

Post a classified for a tube amp (or just amp) withing your range on this site. I've seen a few people selling Peavey Classic 30's for pretty cheap. You never know what you'll be offered if you don't try.
Page 1 of 2