The tone, playing style sound, im looking for is Lamb of god, cob, necrophagist, stuff. And im making a guitar. I've read that basswood wood is good for this type of tone, but which other wood is good?

The bad thing about basswood that I've read is that it does not take clear finishes well and it does not take well to abuse.

Also on the warmoth.com website http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/options/options_bodywoods.cfm, what does the bright and warm mean? bright meaning more squealing/noisy and warm meaning bassier ? or the other way around?
Larrivée D-03R
US Fender Telecaster, Vox AC15
mahogany- nuff said

but in general it's what you like
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
^isnt mahogany really expensive and heavy
Larrivée D-03R
^ and plus it's the best
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
Mahogany isn't light at all. Alder, ash, basswood, & poplar are all lighter than mahogany. Sure there's heavier stuff, but hardly ever in solid body form. Mahogany is heavy.

Best wood for shred/metal? Alder, hands down.

Chris
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
Just use active humbuckers, you won't notice the tone of the wood as much then.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
^ bull **** dude- active humbuckers are affected by the wood as much , if not more that stndard humbuckers dude.

trust me- the difference between the 81 in my schecter- bass wood- and the 81 in my jackson- alder or soemthing- def not basswood- is far greater than youd imagine- totally different tone, sustain, and bit.
It's true, the higher output the pickups have, the less they'll pickup the characteristics of the wood. Vice versa; the more they affect the string vibration & pick it up.

Then again the wood WILL affect the tone, active or not. The certain wood will dampen certain frequencies & allow others to vibrate freely.

In short, body choice before pickup choice.

Chris
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
Quote by AlGeeEater
Mahogany isn't light at all. Alder, ash, basswood, & poplar are all lighter than mahogany. Sure there's heavier stuff, but hardly ever in solid body form. Mahogany is heavy.

Best wood for shred/metal? Alder, hands down.

Chris

lol i always thought alder was for strats?

Even the 5 people above u recommended mahogany
Larrivée D-03R
Yes, alder is used on strats, what's your point? It's also used extensively on Jacksons & on a lot of higher end ESP's (Jeff Hannemans, JH-600's). I'd pick alder over mahogany for metal/shred any day.

Chris
Quote by tongue untied
^ bull **** dude- active humbuckers are affected by the wood as much , if not more that stndard humbuckers dude.

trust me- the difference between the 81 in my schecter- bass wood- and the 81 in my jackson- alder or soemthing- def not basswood- is far greater than youd imagine- totally different tone, sustain, and bit.

So, your telling me that with active pickups, the wood will affect the tone MORE? I highly doubt it. Also, if you're playing shred, you will be using a lot of distortion, which will make you lose tone more.

Edit: I'm sure there is a lot of reasons for the difference between your Schecter and Jackson. Unless you are using EXACTLY the same pots, wire length, etc, you can't claim that it is only the wood that makes the difference.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Quote by AlGeeEater
Yes, alder is used on strats, what's your point? It's also used extensively on Jacksons & on a lot of higher end ESP's (Jeff Hannemans, JH-600's). I'd pick alder over mahogany for metal/shred any day.

Chris

why would you pick alder over mahogany... ? Why is alder better than mahogany at shred.. besides its light weight lol
Larrivée D-03R
For all around metal I'd take Mahogany any day of the week, any month of the year. It's very good all-around.
Quote by tongue untied

I totally agree with you and Algee.

I <3 alder, and poplar. its a personal thing.
Quote by the_random_hero
So, your telling me that with active pickups, the wood will affect the tone MORE? I highly doubt it. Also, if you're playing shred, you will be using a lot of distortion, which will make you lose tone more.

Edit: I'm sure there is a lot of reasons for the difference between your Schecter and Jackson. Unless you are using EXACTLY the same pots, wire length, etc, you can't claim that it is only the wood that makes the difference.

same pots -pots

about the smae wire lenght

and not playin shred bro- im talkin about clean, light ditortion, and heavy distorion.

and im not claiming that woodmakes hte only difference- im simply saying that it makes a huge difference.

i also play alot of blues dude- thats clean, with no dirstorion or anything/ and my schecter nails a great vlues tone- while the jackson isnt quite there with the 81- the 60 sounds really good though
My god.. alot of you bunch say "mahogany's the best".

That makes no sense. "Rice Krispies are the best" dosnt mean anything. you can say "Theyre crispy" "They make crackling noises" and both of those are true and tell you something.

Mahogany is a very midsy wood, and i dont like mids with shred, as i find its what to many people use to hide their mistakes: they turn down the treble, mids up, and bass at whatever, add distortion and you cant hear mistakes.

Alder i like the tone from because its a bright, very less mellow wood, which gives good bass and treble response.

You wonder why basswood is a much used choice in shredding? contrary to the name, its a very trebly wood, not very bassy actually, not much mids.

People assume mahogany's good 'cause LP's use 'em. 1) mahogany neck/body is VERY midsy, making for a good heavy RYTHMN tone 2) LP's are overrated.

Guitarists are sometimes generalized as always turning the treble up, and i think thats because on guitar's like the LP, its total mud if you dont.

Threadstarter: you're right about basswood's deficiencies. I recommend alder.
What are the top woods for shred then,
1), Alder
2) Basswood (because of its treblyness)
3) Mahogany

Is this correct?
Larrivée D-03R
Rereading this thread I think there is something we all missed, the value and properties of the type of neck, neck wood and fretboard wood, and their matchings with the different body woods.

Personally, I love the sound of mahogany, but for shred it needs more treble, so I love matching it with an either deep set or thru-neck of hard maple and an ebony fretboard to bright out more brightness for the needed highs of shred.
Quote by ttk2skates
Rereading this thread I think there is something we all missed, the value and properties of the type of neck, neck wood and fretboard wood, and their matchings with the different body woods.

Personally, I love the sound of mahogany, but for shred it needs more treble, so I love matching it with an either deep set or thru-neck of hard maple and an ebony fretboard to bright out more brightness for the needed highs of shred.

THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT IM MAKING!

The Mahogany body, with a bolt on neck, string thru bridge, hard rock maple neck and ebony fretboard
Larrivée D-03R
Quote by mangablade

You wonder why basswood is a much used choice in shredding? contrary to the name, its a very trebly wood, not very bassy actually, not much mids.

its pronounced like the fish, not the instrument, common mistake. (one thing about forums, you can pronounce something wrong, and no one can correct you)

but to add to the thread, i like mahagony, but im more of a rythmn player, if i wanted to do leads, i would get alder.
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
Quote by tubadude
its pronounced like the fish, not the instrument, common mistake. (one thing about forums, you can pronounce something wrong, and no one can correct you)

but to add to the thread, i like mahagony, but im more of a rythmn player, if i wanted to do leads, i would get alder.

I actually knew about the pronounciation (thank wikipedia ) i also know that most people here think its bass like bass GUITAR, and i was just trying to find a case in which i could state irony

Anyway, about mahogany: if you do pair it with a very trebly wood like maple for the neck, you should be fine, getting the best of both worlds, good mids with clarity and punchiness, imo, which is good for shred if you ask me.
would an alder body and maple neck be any good at all than just hardcore treble to the max?
Larrivée D-03R
nah it would be fine, imo. You might wanna turn down the treble a bit and turn up the mids, but its not a big deal.

Yngwie and that korean dude have shown Strats are fine for shredding (they are usually maple/alder)